DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Gillingham, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1872-

Marquis of Lorne

Closed 20 Dec 2016

5 (9) Mill Road / Wharf Road

Gillingham

https://whatpub.com/marquis-of-lorne

Marquis of Lorne 2011

Above photo, 25 October, 2011, by Brian Damerell.

Marquis of Lorne sign 1986

Above sign, July 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

Marquis of Lorne matchbox 1985

Above matchbox, 1985, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

 

The "Marquis of Lorne" has been in Mill Road since at least 1872. The name is probably associated with the Marquis of Lorne who was the eldest son of the Duke of Argyll and married Queen Victoria's daughter. He was Governor of Canada in 1861. There was also a Marquis of Lorne paddle-steamer operating on the River Medway in the late 19th century, but if the ship and pub were connected is unknown.

Ind Coope & Co Ltd purchased a premises at 10 Mill Road and also two cottages at 10a and 10b Mill Road from Budden & Biggs Brewery Ltd by conveyance and assignment dated 23 March 1931. All premises were unlicensed.

The pub closed on 20th December 2016, the landlord moving to another pub in Milton Regis. The building is destined to become a shop downstairs with 2 flats upstairs.

 

LICENSEE LIST

KINGSTON 1881+ (age 58 in 1881Census)

PAYNE Frederick C 1913-22+

LAMPARD Alfred Benjamin 1930+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/MarquisofLorne.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/marquessoflorne.html

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.pubwiki.co.uk