Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, March, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 March, 2022.


Earliest 1870s


Latest 2009

(Name to)

90 (64) St James Road

Royal Tunbridge Wells

Mitre 1960s

Above photo 1960s, by Fred Scales.

Mitre 1977

Above photo taken by Bernie Oliver, showing the pub celebrating the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977.


Above photo by Edward James Gilbert date 2008.

Mitre sign 1986

Above sign, March 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


From an article written by Edward James Gilbert.


Written By: Edward James Gilbert-Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Date: September 22, 2014

The Mitre public house was constructed in the late 1870's on the north east corner of St James Road and Western Road. Initially it had the address of 64 St James Road but by 1891, due to renumbering of the buildings, it became 90 St James Road. The name of the pub comes from “Mitre - a liturgical headdress of a bishop or abbot, a tall pointed cleft cap with two bands hanging down the back” and there are many pubs by that name in Britain.

The pub was one of about 100 owned in 1895 by Kelsey's Culverden Brewery, and in 1948 was taken over by T. W. Green & Co. which subsequently was renamed as Flowers Breweries Ltd, which in turn was taken over by Whitbread, and by 1975 its ownership was registered as Whitbread Fremlins Ltd Pale Ale Brewers of Earl Street, Maidstone. Under the ownership of these breweries, the pub was managed by a succession of licensed victuallers and throughout that time the pub was little altered and became a favourite watering hole of local residents.

In 2009, under the new ownership of Keith Trevor Walker, the premises and grounds of the "Mitre" was greatly renovated and improved, and was renamed the "Allotment," a name derived from its close proximity to the public allotments. The "Allotment" is still in operation in 2014 and makes use of a new conservatory and outdoor beer garden to serve its customers not only beverages, but provides food cooked on the premises, much of which comes from its own large garden and from the allotments. This article traces the history of the pub and those who managed it.

Listed here are the names of those who were employed by the pub owner to manage and run the public house on a daily basis. The names listed and the dates given are based on available online directory, census, website, and planning documents and an exhaustive search has not been made for all years between 1881 and 2014. Therefore it is likely that this list is not complete. Details about the ownership of this pub, and others, can be found in my article “Early Brewing History and the Culverden Brewery, St John's Road” dated May 5, 2012, in which the breweries referred to in the “Overview” can be found.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 6 February, 1880.


The following temporary authorities were also granted:- the “Mitre Tavern,” to Walter Thomas Ellis, in lieu of Herbert George Offord.



Not built, no listing 1874 directory.

OFFORD Herbert George to Feb/1880

ELLIS Walter Thomas Feb/1880-82 (age 26 in 1881Census)

CARD William Henry 1891-98 dec'd at the pub (his father Thomas is publican of the "Roebuck" 1874-1881)

Last pub licensee had NIGHTINGALE George 1899-03+ Next pub licensee had (by 1911 was at the "Roebuck" pub and died there 1916) Kelly's 1903

Last pub licensee had DRAY Harry 1911 (age 48 in 1911Census)

Last pub licensee had JINKS Michael Israel 1911-13+

COLTHUP Arthur Job 1918+

YOUNG Henry 1922-30+

BAKER Arthur 1934-38+

HICKMAN E A 1991 planning

BIRD James William Napier 2005

MAKEPIECE Pam Feb/1989-Sept/90 Next pub licensee had

WALKER Keith Trevor 2009 Next pub licensee had

Renamed the "Allotment"


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-