Page Updated:- Sunday, 23 February, 2020.


Earliest 1712

Three Horseshoes

Closed 2003+

Hardres Court Road

Lower Hardres

Three Horseshoes 1950

Above photo, circa 1950s, kindly sent by Kev Williams.

Three Horseshoes 2009

Above image from Google, April 2009.

Three Horseshoes sign 1991

Above sign, July 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Former Three Horseshoes 2014

Above photo 2014.

Above map 2010 produced when it was proposed to convert the premises into two dwellings.

George Palmer Baker

Above photo showing George Palmer Baker circa 1954. Kindly sent by Kevin Williams.

George Palmer Baker

Above photo showing George Palmer Baker circa 1954. Kindly sent by Kevin Williams.

Three Horseshoes locals 1954

Above photo showing locals circa 1954. Kindly sent by Kevin Williams.

Former Three Horseshoes 2019

Above photo, May 2019, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.


The pub is a seventeenth century house which has only been licensed since 1712. The Three Horseshoes actually form the arms of
the London Company of Farriers.

It is said that Dedea Redanies (26) who murdered the Back girls in 1856 at Steddy Hole just to the back of the "Valiant Sailor," Folkestone, on his way to Canterbury was caught at a place called Milton Chapel Farm at Chartham after drinking a swift half pint in this pub.


From the Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 07 September 1819.

Valuable Brewery free public houses and other Estates to be sold by auction by Mrs white without reserve.

Lot 14. A Messuage called the "Three Horse Shoes," with the stable, yard, garden, and appurtenances, situate at Lower Hardres, in the said County, and now in the occupation of Sarah White, widow.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 31 July 1909.

A quiet pint of beer.

Hammond Tapley, junior, was charged that he did on the 17th July in a public house at Lower Hardres assault and beat a labourer, Thomas Hope.

Defendant pleaded guilty to striking him in self defence.

The Magistrates' Clerk: That is a plea of "Not guilty."

"Not guilty," accordingly was entered.

Thomas Hope, the complainant, said I live at Street End, Lower Hardres, and am a labourer. On the 17th July I was at the "Three Horseshoes" public house at about 8 o'clock in the evening and saw the defendant. He accused me of taking a "varmint" trap. I said I knew nothing about it, and without another word he hit me with his hands on the head knocking me down, and then kicked me in the jaw. I lost consciousness. Joseph Gilham, Frederick Rayfield, and two others were present. It was in the tap room. Gilham and Rayfield are here. One of them pulled him away from me. I could not go to work for two or three days in consequence of the injuries. When I got up I had another half pint of beer, Mr. Marsh, the landlord, brought it in. My mate, Mayfield, paid for it, Mr. Marsh new all about the assault.

Defendant questioned complainant with a view to showing that defendant did not kick him. Complainant denied having previously struck defendant. He knew nothing about Rayfield. Said did not see Rayfield strike him, and did not set his dog on to Tapley. Defendant was not under the seat. He did not see anybody take hold of Tapley before the assault.

By the magistrates:- He had known defendant about seven or eight years and hitherto been very good friends with him. He had fallen out with him over the vermin trap. He had had no other Fallout.
Frederick Rayfield, labourer, said that several men are at the public house on the night in question. One was Sargent. He saw Tapley knock Hope down and kick him. They had had a few words. Tapley was sitting between Hope and himself. Tapley was standing up when he struck Hope. He struck him on the chest and knocked him off the form, and then kicked him in the jaw and face. Gilham helped to hold Tapley's leg to stop him kicking. Hope was on the ground two or three minutes. Tapley was kicking Hope nearly all the time. Witness did nothing during that time. He only looked on. Tapley went away and Hope got up and everything was all quiet. He should not think Hope had more than a pint of beer before the assault.

By the Magistrates: The landlord was in his stable seeing to his horse. He came in just after it was done.

Complainant said he did not wish to call Gilham.

Defendant decided to give evidence on oath. He said he was a keeper to Sir James Baker White. Hope asked him if he have found any more traps missing lately and after other words struck him with his right fist on the jaw. Defendant defending himself. Hope said to his dog. "Go for him, Dick," and defendant called out to Sargent to get the dog off. Defendant struggled about and got out of there clutches, and then knocked Hope and Rayfield down. Both were standing up. Defendant then left the house. Sargent's share was the pull the dog off. As he went out of the door Hope was close behind him and wanted to fight again. He said, "Come on, you ------. I ain't done with you yet." Defendant did not answer, but walked away.

Edward File, a woodcutter, and a young man named Sutton were present. Neither of these two was in court.

Edward Sargent, labourer, Lower Hardres, said he was in the tap room and saw Hope and Rayfield with Tapley between them. They seem to be whispering. The next thing he saw was all three on the ground, and Hope had his hands on Tapley's throat. He heard nothing said has Tapley went out of the door. Both Hope and Rayfield follow Tapley out. The parties might have had a glass, but he did not say they were under the influence of drink. The two gentlemen had a quart, but did not drink it as it was knocked over.

Joseph Gilham said he was a labourer living in Lower Hardres. He said he saw nothing and heard nothing between the parties till he saw all three on the floor with a dog. He was having a quiet pint of beer in a corner. (Laughter.) Witness placed Tapley out of the dogs way. He had been in the house about 3 hours. His recollection was not very clear as to how much beer he had had. (Laughter.)

Defendant wished to show the magistrates signs of the bite of the dog on his leg, but the magistrates thought this unnecessary.

The magistrates dismissed the case.

The parties had to pay 2s. each.



WHITE Sarah (widow) 1819+

BARTLET George 1858+


MARTIN James 1874+

MARSH John 1881-1913+ (age 57 in 1901Census)

SMITH Walter Ernest 1920s-30s

CLARKE John Arthur 1938+

BAKER George Palmer 5/Feb/1952-6/Apr/55 Next pub licensee had

WILLIAMS Derry 2001 dec'd




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-