DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Saturday, 16 July, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1863

Three Sisters

Open 2020+

Otterham Quay Lane (Caroline Row 1891Census)

Upchurch

07875 622779

https://threesistersrainham.com/

https://whatpub.com/three-sisters

Three Sisters

Above photo date unknown, kindly submitted by Michael Nancollas.

Three Sisters 2014

Above photo 2014.

Three Sisters 2020

Above photo, July 2020, kindly sent by Maggie Francis.

Three Sisters 2020

Above photo, July 2020, kindly sent by Maggie Francis.

Three Sisters 2021

Above photo August 2021, kindly taken and sent by Maggie Francis.

Three Sisters 1863

Above photo showing people outside the pub in1863.

Three Sisters sign 1996

Above sign, October 1996.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

Three Sisters sign 2019

Above sign, 2019, now showing one of the sisters with what looks like a wine in her hand.

Three Sisters beer pump clip 2014

The above beer was brewed by the Mad Cat brewery and sold at the pub in 2014.

 

Maidstone Telegraph 23 February 1861.

MAIDSTONE INSOLVENT COURT.

Feb. 20. - ( Before J. Espinasse, Esq.)

George Freeman, of the "Anchor and Hope Inn," Otterham Quay, Upchurch, Kent. He was supported by Mr. Morgan.

Discharged forthwith.

 

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette - Saturday 21 August 1886.

Petty Sessions.

At Mondays Petty Sessions some bad cases of adulteration of spirits came before the bench. In one instance George Clarke of Upchurch, was detected by Superintendent Mayne in selling whisky which was so adulterated that an analysis by the county analyst we built the fact it was 16.21 below the legal limit of strength.

 

East Kent Gazette, Saturday 1 July 1922.

UPCHURCH. LICENSE TRANSFERRED.

At the Sittingbourne Petty Sessions, on Monday, Oscar James Strand, late Chief petty Officer in the Royal Navy, applied for the temporary transfer of the license of the "Three Sisters," Upchurch, from William George Edmonds to himself. There was no objection, and the transfer was granted.

 

From http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/ accessed Jan 2015.

A History of The Three Sisters Public House

With the coming of the brickfields to lower Rainham in the mid-19th century which required a large number of men to do hard physical work, the construction of the "Three Sisters" in 1863 came as no surprise. Throughout the second part of the 19th century and into the 20th century brickfield workers regularly drank in the pub and some even lodged there. This contributed regular business which is probably a major reason why the pub survived while the "Anchor and Hope" and the "Lord Stanley" at Otterham Quay eventually closed.

There are several theories about how the pub acquired its name but the exact reason is unknown. The first of these is connected with three sarsen stones which are situated at the south west corner of the pub. These mark the footpath that passes through Natal Farm. Secondly, there were once three beacons situated on the marshes to guide shipping that were known as The Three Sisters. Another theory is that the pub was named after the three Hubbard sisters who lived in a nearby cottage during the 19th century.

George Freeman served as the first publican of the "Three Sisters" with his wife Ellen who originated from Ireland. In 1871 his niece Frances Sarden and a lodger named William Lacy also lived there. George Freeman's name appears on the 1861 census list as publican of the "Anchor and Hope" pub in Otterham Quay where he worked before taking on the "Three Sisters." By 1881 George Clark had taken over and he remained there until the 1890s. Bill Edmunds then took over with his wife Rose and two children William and Rose. Bill Edmunds, a short, stocky man with bushy black eyebrows and a mustache became well known in the area and became a prominent member of Rainham Cycle Club whose headquarters were based at the "Green Lion Inn" in Rainham High Street. While serving as publican at the "Three Sisters" he organised regular excursions to the seaside and short cycling trips for customers.

During the 1890s ‘The Jolly Brickmakers club' became established in the pub. Members contributed money so that social trips could be organised to different locations. Many trips took place including one to Yalding in 1894. Concerts were also held at the pub in aid of needy parishioners. In August, 1899 a smoking concert raised 4 for blind parishioner Richard Turrell from Otterham Quay.

In 1900 brickfield workers like Richard Parr and Fred Wilkman lodged at the pub along with a servant named Edith Wills who helped out in the building. Landlord Bill Edmunds who had made a big contribution to the pub while managing it died prematurely from pneumonia aged 40 in 1902.

After the death of Bill Edmunds Henry Tassell took over as publican in the period leading up to the 1920s. He married the former landlord's widow Rose and they had two children named Alec and Ethel. Alec became a well-known cricketer with Upchurch and Rainham cricket clubs and a bricklayer with E. C. Gransden Ltd. William Edmunds, son of the former publican of the same name also played cricket for Upchurch and became landlord during the 1920s. When he left Albert Roche and his wife Caroline arrived. They were succeeded by Ernie Huseman and his wife Eleanor during the 1930s and 1940s.

During the 1960s brickfield workers, foreign seamen from Otterham Quay and locals continued to patronise the pub with characters like Bill Richardson who lived nearby in a bungalow. He personally constructed it single handed over more than a decade. ‘The Keg Boys' from Rainham with members like Stan Peace, Neville Huggins, Colin McGregor and Colin Chapman also periodically drank there along with other locals.

Robert Moulton and his wife Margaret became long serving landlords at the pub until the 1970s but with the closure of the brickfield trade from brickfield employees ceased and the pub had to rely on a hard core group of locals to keep the pub going.

One of the most popular landlords and innovators at the pub, a former talented local footballer named Mick Harris, resided there during the 1980s to the mid-1990s. A very outgoing, sometimes outspoken and lively individual, he encouraged a younger clientele with discos and music nights and proved to be a very popular landlord with large numbers of customers attending at weekends. In 1997 Sue and Graham Fry took over and they stayed until 1999.

Sally Godden who is a familiar local figure in the equestrian world now runs the pub which is known to many customers as ‘The Six Tits.' The pub has a regular band of drinkers, it serves food and hosts regular, live weekly music with Karaoke nights. Singers and musicians like Mickey Blue Eyes, Annie Love and Lisa Mills perform there. With a main bar at the front, a functions room and a beer garden at the back, oak beams on the ceiling, an open fire in winter and pub games like pool, darts and cards, the "Three Sisters" remains a popular pub in the area and has developed a new image compared to the old days when it attracted brickfield workers.

 

I am informed that from July 2021 the pub was closed for a redecoration.

 

As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation.

 

LICENSEE LIST

Last pub licensee had MARK John Sept/1864-Aug/65 South Eastern Gazette

FREEMAN George Aug/1865-74+ (age 40 in 1871Census) South Eastern Gazette

Last pub licensee had CLARK George 1881-91+ (age 52 in 1891Census)

EDMUNDS William 1899-1901+ (age 39 in 1901Census)

EDMUNDS Thomas 1903+ Kelly's 1903

TASSELL Charles Henry 1911-18+ (age 34 in 1911Census)

EDMONDS William George to July/1922

STRAND Oscar James July/1922+

ROSE Albert Edward to July/1928 East Kent Gazette

HURSMAN Ernest Edward July/1928-38+ East Kent Gazette

https://pubwiki.co.uk/ThreeSisters.shtml

 

CensusCensus

South Eastern GazetteSouth Eastern Gazette

East Kent GazetteEast Kent Gazette

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML