DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 22 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1909-

Anchor

Latest 1914

67 Camden Road

Royal Tunbridge Wells

Anchor

Above photo, date unknown.

 

This pub is mentioned from a 1909 book by the Civil Service. At that time next door at number 69 was the "Crystal Palace." I believe the two pubs amalgamated into the one called the "Crystal Palace" at some time.

 

From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 6 February, 1914.

TUNBRIDGE WELLS LICENSING SESSIONS.

FIVE LICENSES “HELD UP.”

The Annual Brewster Sessions for the Borough of Tunbridge Wells were held at the Town Hall on Monday morning, the Mayor (Councillor C. W. Emson) presiding over a large attendance of the Justices.

The Magistrates had decided to renew all the licenses, with the exception of the "Anchor," Camden-road; the "Rifleman," Kensington-street; the "Good Intent," St. John’s-road; the "Standard," Little Mount Sion; and the "Alma," Varney -street. The licensee of these houses would be considered at the adjourned annual licensing meeting a month hence.

 

From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 6 March, 1914.

TUNBRIDGE WELLS LICENSING SESSIONS.

Mr. W. C Cripps (of Messrs. W. C. Cripps, Son and Daish) formally applied for a renewal of the license of the "Anchor," Camden-road.

P. Sergt. Blackman stated that the "Anchor" was a beerhouse, with a wine license. It had two bars, a parlour and a tap-room. There were several fully-licensed houses within 200 or 300 yards, and a number of beerhouses in the close vicinity. There appeared to be very little trade at the house, which was, however, well conducted.

In cross-examination by Mr. Cripps the witness stated that the license had been previously objected to, but it was renewed after the Justices had the facts laid before them. Since that time the “nest of licenses" in the vicinity had been reduced. The house was situated in the midst of a working class population. Mr. Cripps, addressing the Bench, said the license was opposed in 1908 together with others, but all were renewed. Then in 1911 the Bench evidently desired to discriminate between the "Anchor" and other licences. The licence of the "Anchor" was renewed on condition that the owners, Messrs. Kelsey, gave up the license of the "Kentish Oak." Messrs. Kelsey loyally abided by their part of the agreement, and now asked the Beach to keep their part of the bargain. It was important that throughout the country there should be the utmost good faith between brewers, publicans and Benches of Magistrates. The Bench rightly expected brewers to keep their obligations, and brewers looked to the Bench to do the same. Since the license was renewed in 1911, Messrs. Kelsey had spent considerable money on putting the house in proper repair. He contended that there had been no change since 1906 to justify the license again being opposed. Tunbridge Wells was the most sober town in the country. He was addressing practically the same Bench as in 1911, when there was an honourable understanding between the Bench and Messrs. Kelsey that if the latter gave up the license of one house without opposition the license of the "Anchor" would be renewed. If Messrs. Kelsey had fought the case at Maidstone they might have retained the licence of the "Kentish Oak."

The Bench deferred their decision until the cases of the other licences were considered.

 

LICENSEE LIST

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML