DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1690

Angel

Latest 1828-

(Name to)

Pantiles

Royal Tunbridge Wells

Angel Inn engraving

Above showing Kip's engraving showing the "Angel Inn" on the left just where the top horse and carriage can be seen.

 

The sketch of a street scene showing the "Angel Inn" and its sign over the road can be seen in the engraving above.

"The Angel Inn was one of the first buildings on South Frith Land about 1690. This original drawing by Emma Arshall for her 1902 book Up and Down the Pantiles nevertheless looks quite accurate, showing the inn sign over the road (as in Kips's engraving of 1718), the flat-fronted "Angel Inn" and the fences round the chapel and the spring".

The chapel he is referring to is the Chapel of Ease, which is known today at King Charles the Martyr Church in Mount Sion. This chapel was opened in 1678.The chapel is located on London Road where it meets Nevill Street. The site of the former "Angel Inn" was redeveloped and on the site today is a hotel. The sketch of the "Angel Inn" shows it as a rectangular building of 2 storeys with a mansard roof.

 

Kentish Gazette 30 June 1781.

NOTICE.

To the Undertakers, and the Public in General.

John Knight, of the "Angel Inn," Tunbridge-Wells, has just purchased a new Hearse, and has able Horses, which he will let to any Part of England.

 

LICENSEE LIST

KNIGHT John 1781+

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML