Sort file:- Gravesend, May, 2023.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 10 May, 2023.


Earliest 1934

Dickens Inn

Latest 1985

(Name to)

135 Rochester Road


Dickens Inn

Above photo, date unknown. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

Dicken's Inn sign 1964Dickins Inn sign 1978

Above sign left, 1964 sign right, 1987.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Dickens Inn sign 1985

Above sign 1985.

With thanks from Roger Pester


The house was built in 1934 and was used as a public house till 1985 when it closed for a year. It re-opened again in 1986 but under the name of the "Colonial" but only lasted till 1988, having to close due to unsocial behaviour. The building has now unfortunately been demolished.


From the Reporter, Saturday, 26 May, 1934.

To our readers interested in the development of Gravesend and its environs, a visit should be paid to the Parish of Denton. Where a little time ago only green fields and little frequented areas existed there has taken place a most surprising development. New roads have been laid out on the latest town planning lines, and attractive houses neatly arranged in blocks of twos and fours, etc., with playing fields centrally situated.

Should it be salt the Gravesend leaks Enterprise in the housing of it's working people or that it lags behind any other town in the south eastern area in its general amenities, are you visit to this new Denton area will a lay all doubts in this Direction.

For a considerable portion of this development we are indebted to our representatives on the council, by whose initiative and Enterprise such a fine suburb to the town has been created.

The social side has also been carefully considered, and a site at the entrance to the estate was reserved in the general layout of the Denton housing estate for a refreshment house.

Arising out of this reservation, Messrs. Truman, Hanbury, Buxton and Co, Ltd, have erected licensed premises now known as the "Dickens Inn" a most attractive Inn planned on the latest and most comfortable lines and with such varied accommodation and conveniences as should meet the requirements of each the fastidious.

There are six public rooms in all of various classes, and sizes, including an off-license, and it is surely the last word in economical planning, labour-saving and supervision when it is considered that attention can be given to the requirements of any customer, by which ever door he may enter, by a movement of merely two or three paces on the part of the landlord.

The whole of the premises are centrally heated and, in addition, open fire places to every room provide warmth and comfort only found in the latter and improve type of licence house which is now considered to be essential if the public requirements after be met.

The days of the old pub is faster declining, and when it is considered that during the brief space of two or three years Gravesend has been improved by such licensed houses as the "Central Avenue Hotel" with its acres of sports ground, football, cricket, and tennis courts, the new "Old Prince of Orange" (under the able direction of our worthy mayor, councillor George E. Morris, J.P.) and now the "Dickens Inn," all of which have been erected as detched properties on open and healthy sites the only conclusion to be arrived at is that a very pronounced improvement in the designing and planning of licensed property has set in.

Credit cannot be withheld from the Brewers who have initiated this great improvement in the character and amenities of their houses, and in our opinion it is in this way lies the future of true Temperance reform.

Both the public using such premises and the Brewers desire and mutual advantage, and every reasonable minded citizen will agree that a great benefit has assumed to the community from this complete redesigning of licensed premises. The photographs are reproduced of the latest house, the "Dickens Inn" at Denton, will give a fair idea of the great improvement externally, and internally which is taking place in licensed houses in this very old town.

As will be seen from the exterior view, the terrace, well raised above the delightful fresh green lawn which form the foreground to the new premises, has been built to afford excess to the various "bars". In each case, entrance is affected by double draught excluding doors, one of the many features making for comfort in this scene.

Solidarity of construction is another noticeable feature, and some hundreds of years hence, no doubt, a mellowed "Dickens Inn" will still be dispensing delectable refreshments to both residents and travellers, although what sort of vehicles will be placed in the present large car enclosure only an H. G. Wells can visualise. Certain it is that the unusually artistic tile Gable roof and never be used as an Aerodrome.

Dickens Inn Social Hall and Saloon Lounge 1934

Above showing the Social Hall and Saloon Lounge.

This scene of solidarity is carried into the interior treatment, also for the final that throughout the doors, fittings and furniture are of various treating solid oak.

As we have said there are six public rooms. A large Social Hall and saloon lounge, tastefully pannalled, with studded Green linoleum a well-proportioned public rooms, a smoke room, two private bars, and an off licence, all of them affording that degree of comfort and polish cleanliness Which patrons of these new Truman houses have become accustomed to expect.

No less attention has been given to the cellars, which, in addition to being equipped with the most modern and hygienic system of handling the beers, even possess a hot and cold water supply for cleaning purposes and radiators for maintaining the very essential correct temperature.

It is anticipated that the "Dickens Inn," of which the host is Mr H. Hinton. A very well-known Gravesend licensee, will achieve a reputation not only for the excellence of its beers, wines and spirits, but also for its snacks at the bar, which are to be offered in pleasing variety. In the same connection, it should be mentioning that to a limited extent Hotel facilities are available.

Several local firms have co-operated in building and equipping "The Dickens." Which is another monument to the skills of Mr George E. Clay, A.R.I.B.A., who was responsible for the design and construction.

Amongst other Gravesend firms who contributed to the work were Messrs. R. Redman (electrical equipment) and Messes. J. W. Reid and Co. "roof tiling). Equipment was supplied by Messrs. Bryant and Ruckstraw (furniture). R. Arhin and son (panelling), Bennett and Brown (radio), and Boorman and Son, Ltd. (clocks). The general contractors for the work were Messrs. A. E. Tong and son.

A handsome chromium plated national pest cash register is installed.

Dickens Inn Saloon Bar 1934

Saloon Bar.



Last pub licensee had HINTON Harry 1934+

HINTON Harry jun 1966+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-