Sort file:- Gravesend, April, 2022.

Page Updated:- Friday, 08 April, 2022.


Earliest 1842

Lion Tavern

Closed 2001

70 Parrock Street



Above photo, date unknown. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

Lion Derby Party 1927

Above photo showing the "Lion" Derby Party, taken 1 June, 1927.

Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

Henry & Barbara Gill 1960s

Above photo showing licensee Henry & Barbara Gill at a licensed victuallers event circa 1960s. Kindly sent by Tessa Gill.

Former Lion 2016

Above Google image, July 2016.


The "Lion" was allowed to sell beer only and whose keeper, Richard Head, also lists his occupation as shopkeeper.

The building closed as a public house in 2001 and has now been converted into a residential home and renamed Lion Court.


Morning Advertiser 25 May 1844.


Messrs. John and Thos. Fry have received instructions to submit to Sale by Auction, at Garraway's on Tuesday, June 4, at 12, by order of the Mortgagees, without reserve, a truly eligible Freehold Public-House, the "Lion," Parrock-Street, Gravesend, in a direct line from the New Terrace Pier to Windmill-Hill, in the centre of a populous and rapidly-increasing neighbourhood, commanding views of great extent and beauty - the premises have been built within Three Years in a most substantial manner at an unlimited expense, and present to an enterprising purchaser a first-rate property, either for investment or occupation. Particulars may be had on the premises, at the place of Sale; of Messrs. Cattarns and Fry, Solicitors, 62, Mark-lane, City; and of the Auctioneers, 43 Chiswell-street, Finsbury-square, and at Greenwich.


From the Local Paper 1966

Since World War II Gravesend has lost many of its old pubs through clearance schemes and diminishing trade in some quiet backwaters.

The "Lion," Parrock Street, on the other hand has a new "life," for it has been retrieved.

When the original Peppercroft Street redevelopment scheme was outlined, the site included the "Lion." But the Minister of Housing after an appeal was held in the town, decided to accept the block with the public house on the corner.

Presiding over the bars there is Mr. Henry Gill who had considerable experience in the trade before he came from the "Rising Sun," Stamford, Lincolnshire, to take over the "Lion" 9 years ago.

One of the interesting features of the house, the customer never sees. It is the cellarage. The storage space below ground is spacious and the rooms and some parts are vaulted in a gothic effect.

Lion cellar 1963

Mr. Henry Gill, landlord of the "Lion," Gravesend, at work in his cellar.

They are exceptionally strong and during the last war were frequently used as shelter from air raids.

When the sirens went off, the customers used to file down the steps with their beer to reasonable safety.

Not a bad place to spend the war!



GOLDSMITH William 1855-74+ (age 65 in 1861Census)

HARRINGTON Henry Edward 1878-82+ (age 71 in 1881Census)

WINEPRESS Thomas 1891+

RUSSELL George 1903+ Kelly's 1903

FOSTER Frank Harry 1911-13+ (age 25 in 1911Census)

SCUDDER Albert 1922+

GILL Henry John 1957-69


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-