Sort file:- Gravesend, February, 2022.

Page Updated:- Monday, 28 February, 2022.


Earliest 1797

(Name from)

Old Parrs Head

Latest 1891

(Name to)

63 High Street


Reid and Co

Above photo date unknown.

Former Old Parr's Head

Above photo, date unknown showing the former pub. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.


Previously I believe this was known as the "Greyhound" although there is a little confusion over that, and later went on to become the "Empire Tavern."


As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation. Every email is answered and all information referenced to the supplier.

This page will be updated as soon as further information is found.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Monday 13 September 1869.

Violently Assaulting the Police.

John and Thomas Pearson, brothers, were brought up, the first named charged with assaulting David Whiffen, Jun., and also with violently assaulting Police-constable Fitch, and the last name charged with attempting to rescue his brother, and likewise with assault in the same Police-constable.

The charge against David Whiffen, landlord of the "Parrs Head," High Street, was first gone into.

Complainant stated that on Tuesday evening between 8 and 9 o'clock, the prisoner, John Pearson, was in his bar with a number of other people. There was a quarrel, and the prisoner began to fight another man. Complainant endeavour to stop the row, and while so engaged, he received a blow on the face from the prisoner, which caused the blood to flow freely. Complaint then gave prisoner into the custody of the police. For this offence, the Bench ordered prisoner to pay a fine of 10s. and costs, and default 7 days' in prison.

The next charge was then proceeded with. Police-constable John Fitch stated that about 9 o'clock on the previous night he was called into the "Parr's Head," and the prisoner John Pearson was given into custody by the landlord. The bar was full of people at the time, and when witness attempted to remove the prisoner, he was obstructed and assaulted. The prisoner John struck him several times on the face and kicked him, and the prisoner Thomas tried to rescue his brother, and also kicked and struck the constable several times. Police-constable Flynn deposed that he went into the "Parr's Head" to assist previous witness. He had great difficulty in reaching Police-constable Fitch, because there were several persons who seemed determined that the prisoner John Pearson should not be removed to the police station. He saw both prisoners strike Police-constable Fitch. Additional assistance was afterwards given by Police-constable Richards, and they managed to get the prisoner John into the street. There was a mob in the street, and some persons called upon the mob to prevent the prisoners being removed. Two men from the Town Pier afterwards gave assistance, and they got the prisoner into the police station. William Barfield, a man employed on the Town Pier, and John Treadgold, London, Tilbury, and Southend Railway porter, were afterwards called into the witness box, and gave corroborative evidence as to the mob, and the difficulty the police experience. Both witnesses rendered assistance to the police. Superintendent White said that he was at the police station when the prisoner was brought in; Police-constable Fitch's face was covered with blood.

The Mayor told the prisoners that they had rendered themselves liable to a fine of 20 or 6 months' in prison. The Magistrate had decided to inflict upon the prisoner John Pearson a fine of 40s. and costs in default 28 days imprisonment, and to fine Thomas Pearson 20s. and costs, in default 14 days in prison.


From the Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser, Saturday 21 November, 1885.


On the 19th inst., aged 59 years, Mr. William Aldersley, late of Gravesend, eldest son of the late William Aldersley, for many years at the “Old Parr’s Head,” High Street. Greatly respected and deeply regretted. Friends will kindly accept this intimation.



ALDERSLEY William 1824+

MUNN James 1840-41+ (age 30 in 1841Census)

EDGAR Mr to May/1853 Kentish Independent

GARN Robert May/1853+ Kentish Independent

GARN Herbert 1855+

GARN Henry 1858+

RIBBONS Charles 1861-65+ (age 36 in 1861Census)

WHIFFEN David 1869-74+

WOODING William Henry 1878-82+ (age 41 in 1881Census)

PARSONS Edward (age 54 in 1891Census)

KIMBER Percival S 1891+ Post Office Directory 1891


Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891


Kentish IndependentKentish Independent


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-