Page Updated:- Tuesday, 27 September, 2022.


Earliest 1931

Black Horse

Latest 2002

Margate Road


Black Horse 1931

Above photo, 1931, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Black Horse 1940s

Above photo, circa 1940s.

Above photo showing the bar area, circa 1940s.

Black Horse

Above photo, unknown date, kindly sent by Peter Moynahan.

Former Black Horse 2010

Above photo 2010 by David Anstiss Creative Commons Licence.

Black Horse sign 1986Black Horse sign 1991

Above sign left, May 1986, sign right, July 1991.

Black Horse sign 1993

Above sign 1993.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Black Horse beer mat 1990

Above beer mat circa 1990, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.


The pub was built in 1931 for the Chislet Colliery workers, but unfortunately closed in about 2002, and is now a Chinese restaurant.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 11 April 1931.

New Licenced House at Hersden.

Sir Reginald Mitchell-Banks, K.C., with whom was Mr. J. G. Joseph, applied for confirmation of a provisional grant of an "on" license, granted by the Justices of the St. Augustine's Division, in respect of premises intended to be built at Hersden.

The applicant said Sir Reginald, was heard at considerable length at the Brewster Session. The house was proposed to be built in close proximity to Chislet Colliery. The application was opposed in the Court below by counsel representing the "West Butts," which was three quarters of a mile away; the "Royal Oak," Upstreet, another house about a mile and a half away; and the "Westbere Social Club." The magistrates gave the closest and most patient hearing to the case. The village was a Colliery village and was almost entirely inhabited by men who were employed at the Colliery and their families. There was a population there of roughly 1,000, and although there was nearly every amenity in the village - stores, post office chapel, etc. - there was no public house. The plans were before the magistrates at the annual licensing meeting, and the licence was provisionally granted subject to certain modifications in the plans as to setting back the building. The proposed house had every facility, not only for alcoholic liquor, but for games, recreation, and so on. There were also bedrooms, bars and luncheon rooms. As to the monopoly value it was agreed the amount should be 465, payable as follows: 45 on taking out the excise licence, and 3 instalments of 140 each. It was also agreed that the term of the licence should be for 3 years and 7 months. Both the application for grant and the selection of a site had been approved by officials at the Colliery, who were of the opinion the site was a good one and the premises were most desirable.

The application was confirmed, and it was stated that the house was to be erected within 18 months.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 27 February 1932.

Black Hotrse advert 1932

From the Whitstable Times and Tankerton Press, Saturday, 11 March 1944.

Committed for trial. On charge of driving car under influence of drink.

Richard Gibson, of Warlmstone Court, Sandwich, appeared before the St. Augustine's Bench on Wednesday for (1) driving a car while under the influence of drink and (2) dangerous driving. He was represented by Mr. John Davies.

Mr. Eric Weald prosecuted.

David Firth, a minor, of 2, Grove Terrace, Upstreet, said that at about 3:30 p.m. on February 5th he was in Hersden, standing by the "Black Horse." His attention was drawn to a car going towards Margate on a zig-zag course. It went over to the off side of the road three or four times and was doing about 25 m.p.h.

After the car had gone by, witness had a conversation with a police officer who was standing with him. The police officer cycled after the car.

James Williams, of 17, The Avenue, Hersden, and George F. D. Lavery, of 15, the Poplars, Hersden, gave supporting evidence. Both said they thought the driver of the zig-zagging car was either very drunk or ill.

P. W. R. West, stated that he was on duty at Hersden on the day in question and told of seeing a car being driven in an erratic manner until it was beyond his vision. The vehicle went from its near side to the middle of the road repeatedly.

Witness mounted his pedal cycle and rode to Grove Ferry Station. The level crossing gates with closed against the car driven by accused. The driver was slumped in the seat as though asleep and when witness opened the door to speak to him there was a strong smell of what was apparently beer. The sound of two trains passing did not waken the driver and witness then telephone for Sergeant Jennings.

On returning to the car, witness found accused still asleep but he woke up at the sound of a train shunting in the yard. Witness spoke to accused but he started up the engine of the car and it moved forward about 2 feet and struck the crossing gates. Accuse reversed and drove into the gates again. Witnessed asking if he was all right. The reply was an indistinct mumble. Asked to produce his driving licence accused did so after considerable fumbling through his pockets. Police Sergeant Jennings arrived and took charge.

In cross-examination, witness said he went to the Police Station and was present when, at 4:45 p.m. the police surgeon refused to certify and accused was released. In witness' approximation the police surgeon saw accused at about 25 minutes after Police Sergeant Jennings saw him at the railway station.

Mr. Weale submitted that the inference was that before being charged with the offence accused was drunk but that the shock of being charged had sobered him up.

Police Sergeant Leonard Jennings (Chislet) said Gibson swayed when told to get out of the car. Asked where he had been he made a disjointed statement about going to Canterbury and having "a few little drinks." Witness then asked accused to go to his (witness') car and accused staggered as he walked.

When told that he was under the influence of drink to such an extent as not to be in control of the car accused are answered:- "Yes, I know I've had one or two but I'll drive home quietly." He got into his own car, started the engine and the car ran backwards downhill a short distance. Told that he would be taken to the Canterbury Police Station accused got out of his car after some argument, assisted by P. W. R. West, he got into the rear of witnesses car and was taken to Canterbury Police Station.

In answer to Mr. Davis. Police Sergeant Jennings said he knew of no other cases where proceedings had been taken after a police surgeon had refused to certify.

The Magistrate (Major J. G. Smyth-Osborne) committee Gibson for trial at the next East Kent Quarter Sessions.


Dover Express 31st August 1945.


The East Kent Coroner (Mr. Rutley Mowll) opened an inquest at the “Black Horse”, Hersden on August 21st on John Holland (74) of 3 The Poplars, Hersden, an underground engine man at Chislet Colliery, who died the previous Sunday. After evidence of identification the inquest was adjourned until September 19th for a report of various organs, silicosis being suspected.


Dover Express 21st September 1945.


At Eastry Institution on Wednesday, Mr. Rutley Mowll (the East Kent Coroner) resumed an inquest on John Holland, a mine worker aged 74, of 3 The Poplars, Hersden, whose son had suspected that silicosis had something to do with his death on August 17th but, after pathological evidence, the Coroner returned a verdict of death from natural causes.



BRADNAM Walter 1932+

MONK Henry Albert 1948+

DUNLOP John Semple 1957+

FRANKLIN Frederick & Annie 1960s Next pub licensee had

CHAPMAN Ernest & Maureen 1968-73

ETHERIDGE Adrian & Zena to Mar/1977

NIXON Jim & Maureen Mar/1977-82

MILES Derek & Barbara 1982+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-