DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Gillingham, February, 2022.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 09 February, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest ????

Harrow

Open 2020+

Lidsing

Gillingham

01634 238526

https://whatpub.com/harrow

Harrow 1949

Above photo from Barclay, Perkins' Anchor Magazine. Volume XXI, No.4 - October 1949, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Harrow 2013

Above photo 2013 by Malc McDonald Creative Commons Licence.

Harrow sign 1986

Above sign, September 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

 

Kelly's Directory of 1903 gave the address of this as Chatham.

 

From Barclay, Perkins' Anchor Magazine. Volume XXI, No.4 - October 1949.

The "Harrow," Lidsing.

A little beyond the top of Boxley Hill, between Maidstone and Gillingham, stands the "Harrow." A Games Room, a Private and Saloon Bar serve the few local farmers and the car trade. In the Saloon Bar stands a baby grand piano which, apart from the local talent, has been played on by Oscar Rabin, pianist and the Pauline Sisters, well known to many concert-goers, both here and abroad.

The "Harrow" has its own electric light plant and the bright and pleasing exterior finish dates from 1935.
During the war years the "Harrow" was well and truly in the front line, having several near misses from Doodlebugs and the constant noise of planes overhead.

The unpleasantness of its position in those days is clear when we learn that a house nearby was offered to Mr Cunningham in 1941 for 450. That same building was offered to the writer last month for 2,300.

Before coming to Style & Winch Ltd., Mr Cunningham worked 18 years for Baron Henry Deville, the Wine Connoisseur, followed by four years with the Portsmouth Police Force. He tells an amusing story of when, in 1947, he was visited at the "Harrow" by the Abbot of Buckfast (whom he was able to serve a glass of wine made to the secret recipe of Buckfast Abbey.)

It happened that while the Abbot was with him, a reporter rang up saying "Is it true that you have the Pope with you?"

Just across the road from the "Harrow" is an enormous pit, approximately 100 feet deep and 40 yards across. This was dug on the instructions of one Major Templer in 1889. I learnt the story from Mr Pye, who lives next door, whose father had helped dig the pit. It's function was act as a shelter in which to inflate and repair balloons, used by the Balloon Section of Royal Engineers, the forerunners of the Royal Flying Corps. A stout anchor was fixed in the bottom of the pit and several flights started from there, some of them, we are told, being made unofficially by Mrs Templer when the anchor gave way.

Mr C Cunningham, the Licensee, has been at the "Harrow" since 1941 and we wish him every future happiness and success in the house.

 

LICENSEE LIST

DYE William 1851+ (age 66 in 1851Census)

JOHNSON Thomas 1858-70 dec'd (age 44 in 1861Census)

JOHNSON Caroline Mrs 1871-74+ (age 50 in 1871Census)

GEER James W 1881-22+ (age 62 in 1881Census)

GRAIN Thomas Edward 1901-03+ (also cooper age 57 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

RALPH Henry 1930+

WILLINGHAM Harry 1938+

CUNNINGHAM C Mr 1941+

http://www.pubwiki.co.uk/Harrow.shtml

 

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML