DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 20 November, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1700s-

Rose and Crown

Latest 1995

(Name to)

Stone Street

Rose and Crown

Above postcard, date unknown.

Rose and Crown 1947

Above photo 1947.

 

Reference has been found in the Pigot's Directory of 1828. The directory classed this under Taverns and Public Houses.

It also appears a list of pubs in existence in the first 25 years of the 18th century, published by the Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, 23 January, 1903.

 

The building probably started life as a farm building in the 1700's. but by the mid 1840's it was being run as a beer house known as the "Rose and Crown," which lasted under that name till 1995, when it changed name to the "Snail."

The main part of the building we was built circa 1750 and a two storey extension was added on the southern side circa 1800.

About 1850 the property was extended on the eastern side with the provision of what is currently (2017) the living room at first floor level together with a section of the restaurant area below. At about the same time the single storey extension on the eastern side was also added which currently comprises the office and a store. Circa 1970 a single storey extension was added on the eastern side.

The pub has been owned by many people in the past it was sold by a brewery in Wateringbury to Whitbread in the early twentieth century?

 

Kentish Gazette 05 August 1851.

MELANCHOLY AND FATAL ACCIDENT.

Robert Collier, Esq., the only son of a widow lady of that name, occupying the Vine House here, and whose daughter but two years ago died from the effects of poison taken by mistake, was killed in the evening of Friday last, near Mr. William Green's "Rose and Crown," Stone Street, Seal, by a fall from his horse. It appears that the deceased had been a spectator at a cricket match at Mr. Green's and had mounted his horse with the intention of taking a temporary ride, when the accident happened. George Richards, Esq., of Seal, was on the spot, and Mr. Harris , of the "Bricklayer's" Arms Inn" immediately rode off o deceased's horse to procure the service of Messrs. George Franks and Robert E. Adams, surgeons, of Sevenoaks, who soon arrived, but deceased had ceased to exist just prior to their arrival. What makes the occurrence the more painful is that Mrs. Collier, the mother, was absent from her home in London with her sole surviving daughter. An express started, however, immediately to convey the fatal intelligence to her. The deceased was about 21 years of age and unmarried, and was much beloved by many young men of his neighbourhood, with whom he was upon terms of the greatest intimacy.

 

Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 7th July 1860.

John Ongley, of the "Rose and Crown," Stone Street, Seal, was fined 10s., and 9s. costs, for having his house open on Sunday afternoon for the sale of beer.

 

From the South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 3 December, 1861.

PETTY SESSIONS.

John Ongley, of the "Rose and Crown" public house, Stone Street, Seal, was charged with having his house open for the sale of beer on Sunday, the 3rd November. Sub-sergeant Gower, K.C.C., saw three men standing in the house and drinking ale from glasses. The defendant was present.

Fined 10s., costs 10s.

 

From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 17 January 1941.

KENT COUNTY SPITFIRE FUND.

Donations were previously received to the amount totalling 29,060 0s. 4d.

Amounts included the following:-

3. 1st Hawkhurst Guides and Rangers E.E.C. (Belvedere). Collection per Mr. A. and Mrs. F. A. Skinner, "Rose and Crown Inn," Stone Street, per Mr. H. Sitton.

TOTAL 29,284 15s. 10d.

 

An excerpt from Inns of Kent by G. M. Rainbird, first published in 1948.

THE ROSE AND CROWN, STONE STREET.

Where may be found that hospitality and refreshment traditional to the English inn.

 

...........carry on to Stone Street and the "Rose and Crown" with its cream-washed front, and back of Kentish Rag. Here will be found yet another type of Kentish scenery: the wooded hills, among them which are three of England's most lovely houses - Knole, Ightham Mote and Bitchet Green. All are open to inspection on certain days and are all within easy reach of the "Rose and Crown," where may be found that hospitality and refreshment traditional to the English inn. In this eighteenth-century inn one finds much to admire; the gardens for instance, and the bars which have all the virtues of the period of their house, and are furnished in more than ordinary good taste.

Moreover the "Rose and Crown" is the headquarters of a famous Rat and Sparrow Club, whose objects are two-fold, the extermination of vermin of every kind, and the holding of an annual dinner at which a cup is presented to the member with the greatest record of slaughter in the preceding year. The traditional dish at the dinner is, not unnaturally, rabbit, which is near-vermin; a pie of grey squirrels might be a more appropriate and toothsome dish.

Among the victims recorded during 1947, from statistics courteously provided by the Honorary Secretary, Mr. B. G. Norris, one notes, surprisingly, 107 queen wasps, 121 jays, 623 squirrels (grey, one hopes) and 893 rats, which proves that membership is something more than a sinecure. During the war nearly 28,000 vermin were destroyed by this active and patriotic handful of enthusiasts: campaign medals have been given for less!

 

Rose and Crown Whitbread signRose and Crown Whitbread sign

Above Whitbread signs number 34 from the fourth series issued 27th March 1953.

 

LICENSEE LIST

HACKETT James 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

GREEN William 1851+

ONGLEY John 1860-61+ South Eastern Gazette

LOINES Ronald Marcus 1940+

SITTON H Mr 1941+

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

South Eastern GazetteSouth Eastern Gazette

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com