DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated Anerley:- Saturday, 03 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest ????

Mitre Hotel

Closed Mar 2018

164 Croyden Road

Anerley

https://whatpub.com/mitre

Mitre Hotel 1939

Above photo, showing the entrance to Betts Park and the King George Playing Field, August 1939, the "Mitre" is on the left, by kind permission of the Beckenham History Society.

Mitre 2016

Above photo, 2016.

Mitre 2018

Above photo 2018.

Mitre garden 2018

Above photo 2018.

Mitre sign 2018

Above sign, 2018.

 

The name Anerly is a Scottish word meaning solitary or only, but from 1860 onwards the area started to become developed with grand Victorian houses. The town hall was built in 1878 and enlarged in 1911. In 1900 the area became part of the Penge urban district of Kent. In 1965 Anerley became part of the London Borough of Bromley.

Refurbished and re-opened in June 2013 the premises closed again at the end of March 2018. It was sold to the London Property Group Limited in January 2019, so guess it'll no longer be a public house.

 

The Era 13 March 1864.

APPLICATIONS FOR NEW LICENCES.

License Refused. Mr. William Gibbings, of the "Mitre", Penge-road, Penge.

 

LICENSEE LIST

GIBBINGS William to Mar/1864

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/mitrehotel.html

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.pubwiki.co.uk