DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Woolwich, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 22 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1866-

Ferry Barge

Latest 1866+

North Woolwich

Woolwich

 

Although North Woolwich is on the Essex side of the Thames the area was administered with the rest of Woolwich after the aftermath of the 1066 conquest and so was once part of Kent. The name North Woolwich became part of Essex after the opening of the now closed railway station with that name in 1847. In 1888 it became part of the County of London and in 1965 became part of Greater London.

 

From the Woolwich Gazette, Friday 14 November 1890.

THE WEIGHTS AND MEASURES ACT.

John Tulford, of the "Ferry Barge," Woolwich, was summoned for having in his possession tea measures, which were deficient and not stamped. Mr. Hildrith, the chief inspector, stated that he visited the defendant's house on the 23rd of September, and found seven pint pots short measuring from two fluid drams to six. One measuring pint pot was not stamped, and two quart pots were also deficient. The defendant pleaded that the pots, owing to being dropped and thrown upon the floor, became damaged. They were put right each morning, but no doubt at that time there would be some which were short weight if they had been dropped that morning. Fined 5s.

 

LICENSEE LIST

PAGE Alfred Warren 1866+

TULFORD John 1890+

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com