Sort file:- Maidstone, November, 2023.

Page Updated Maidstone:- Friday, 03 November, 2023.


Earliest 1852-

Man of Kent

Latest 1865+

High Street



The premises has been described as a Lodging House.


Local News on this day 20th January 1852.

At the Maidstone Petty Sessions on 13th January before the Mayor W. Haynes, J. Tootell and T. Hyde.

Joseph Wheeler, described by the Maidstone Journal as a miserable little specimen of human form, who said he was "getting on for 15" was brought up on a charge of stealing a knuckle of pork from the shop of Henry Smith, a pork butcher, in King Street, Maidstone.

Mrs Smith said the boy, frequently, came to the shop begging, and she had given him things to keep him away, she had previously seen him steal from the shop. On the evening of the theft, he entered the shop with two other boys, one smaller than himself and the smaller boy endeavoured to steal a dish of meat from the window. He was however disturbed, when she went to move the meat away from the window, meanwhile Wheeler took a knuckle of pork, which he was about to make off with, when she caught hold of him. He threw down the knuckle onto some faggots and ran away. A boy in her employ ran after him, caught him, and brought him back to the shop.

Joseph denied having touched the knuckle of pork, and said it was a little "teeny pig's foot", such as could be bought up at Deptford Broadway for 1d.

This case coming under the Juvenile Offenders' Act, the court sentenced him to one month's hard labour in the house of correction, observing that they hoped his father, who really was the most to blame in the matter, would when he came out again, put him into a different and better mode of gaining his living. Joseph stated that he did not know where his father was, as he had not seen him for the last two or three days, during which he had been living by going about singing songs in public houses and had been lodging at the "Man of Kent".

The two other boys mentioned by Mrs Smith, were then brought forward with their mother, who stated they were lodging at the "Papermaker's Arms," Stone Street, where they had been staying for a fortnight. She sent them out with some iron holders, which she has made for them to sell, but it was not her wish, that they should stop out late or get their living in any way, dishonestly, although she could not keep them, without their begging. She was cautioned by the bench, to watch over them, more closely in the future to prevent them, doing wrong.

Three others of the "small fry" sort were brought before the court with an elder brother, to one of them and was distantly related to the others, as they had been singing and begging in the public streets, the previous day. They were all advised to leave the town as quickly as possible.


Kentish Gazette, 6 July 1852.

Borough Sessions.

Yesterday week, the Midsummer Sessions for the Borough of Maidstone were held at the Town Hall, before Sir W. B. Riddell, Bart, and the following magistrates:— W. Haynes, Esq., (mayor), C. Ellis, T. Hyde, A. Randall, and T. Edmett, Esqrs. In the absence of Mr. Smythe, from illness, J. Monctkon, Esq., acted as Clerk of the Peace.

John Harrigan, 24, pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing one shilling, the property of Thomas Thompson, keeper of the "Man of Kent," beershop.

Three weeks' imprisonment.


Southeastern Gazette, 4 January 1853.


Tuesday.— (Before H. W. Joy, Esq., Mayor, T. Hyde and H. Godden, Esqrs.)

John Parker was charged with absconding and leaving his two children chargeable to the parish of Maidstone.

Mr. Stephen Stonham, relieving officer of the Maidstone Union, stated that the defendant was admitted into the union at the hopping season, being ill at the time. He was discharged about a month since, and two days afterwards applied to witness for relief, saying he had no bread to eat. Witness gave him some bread, and told him to come on the following Monday, when witness gave him some more bread to leave the town altogether. Since that time he had been lodging at the "Man of Kent," and on the 19th ult. application was made to witness, in consequence of his having left his two children destitute, and they were then admitted into the workhouse. Witness afterwards saw defendant in the town and gave him in custody. He had since ascertained that he had been to several gentlemen in the town for assistance, pleading that he and his family were destitute.

Martha Thompson, landlady of the "Man of Kent," deposed that prisoner lodged for some days at her house. He went out every day, leaving his children from seven o’clock in the morning till eleven o’clock at night, and during his absence they had nothing to eat, with the exception of what she gave them. On the morning of the 18th ult., he went out, leaving his children without anything to eat as usual, and did not come home all night. Witness, in consequence, on the next morning, made application to Mr. Stonham about it, and the children were taken to the workhouse. When she got back she was informed that the defendant had returned and enquired about them.

Defendant said he came from Cumberland, where he was once the possessor of a large estate, which he had lost by bonds. He denied that the children were neglected, but said that he left to procure work, and was unable to come home at night in consequence of the weather. He did not wish the children to be taken to the house and was quite willing to keep and provide for them.

The magistrates said the manner in which he had acted was much to his disgrace, and sentenced him to ten days’ imprisonment, telling him that when he came out he would hare to provide for his children.


Southeastern Gazette, 4 January 1853.

Elizabeth Ann Paternoster was charged with stealing several sheets, the property of Martha Thompson, landlady of the "Man of Kent."

Prosecutrix deposed that the prisoner came to lodge at her house during last hopping season. Witness’s husband being very ill, she made an agreement with the prisoner to take charge of the lower part of the house which the lodgers occupied, at a stated remuneration. Prisoner said she might make herself quite comfortable about it, and she would attend to it. Witness’s husband died about a month since, and on the day afterwards she missed four pairs of sheets. Prisoner denied knowing anything about them, and witness again left her in charge, telling her to keep the doors locked. After that the sheets were constantly missing, and on the previous day witness found several more missing, and told prisoner if she would go round to the pawnbrokers’ shops with her, and they did not identify her as the person who had pledged them, she would look over it. Prisoner at first expressed her willingness to go, but afterwards said "It's no use going, I know how it will be, and will give you the tickets." She afterwards gave witness the duplicates for five sheets. Had lost altogether ten pairs. Witness then gave her into custody. She now identified three of the sheets produced as her property.

William Wood, assistant to Mr. Edmett, pawnbroker, deposed to the sheets produced being pledged by the prisoner, on different dates, she having pledged them in the name of Farley.

Police-constable Judges deposed to taking the prisoner into custody, when she said that if they would give her time she would get them out.

Committed to the Borough Sessions.


Kentish Gazette, 11 January 1853.


The Epiphany Sessions for this borough were held on Monday, at the Town Hall, before Sir W. B. Riddell, Bart., Recorder, and the following magistrates:— H. W. Joy, (Mayor), and Messrs. Argles Godden, Stacey, Hydo, Ellis, and Whichcord.

Elizabeth Ann Paternoster was charged with having stolen three sheets, the property of Martha Thompson landlady of the "Man of Kent" beer-shop, High-street.

Guilty:— Twelve calendar months' hard labour.


Southeastern Gazette, 27 September 1853.


Tuesday. (Before E. W. Joy, Esq., Mayor, and W. Haynes, Esq).

Stealing a Gown.

Julia Quennell, an Irishwoman, one of the tramps visiting the neighbourhood for hop-picking, was charged with stealing a gown, the property of Ann Newman, wife of Charles Newinan, plasterer, at present working at Ashford. It appeared that the prosecutrix had been residing for some weeks past at the "Man of Kent" beer-shop, Maidstone, where she was on Sunday, the 18th inst., and in the afternoon of that day had the gown in question hanging on a chair in the front parlour. About six o’clock in the evening the prisoner entered the room, and during the absence of Mrs. Newman she was seen to take the gown, roll it up, and conceal it beneath the skirt of her own dress, by Thos. Read, who went to bed immediately afterwards. The prisoner, on Monday morning, pawned the gown at Mr. Edmett’s for 1s. 6d., and was subsequently taken into custody, when she offered to redeem the gown if the prosecutor would forego any further proceedings.

The defendant pleaded that she was drunk at the time of the felony, and knew nothing about it.

These circumstances having been deposed to, the Bench committed the prisoner for trial at the Borough Sessions.


South Eastern Gazette, 1 November 1853.

Julia Quennell, 47, for stealing a gown, value 2s., the property of Charles Newman, on the 18th September.

Ann Newman, the wife of the prosecutor, stated that she was lodging at the "Man of Kent" beer-house on the 18th September, on the evening of which day she left her gown in a chair in the parlour. Prisoner came in, and remained there about half an hour. When she was gone she missed her shawl.

John Reed proved seeing the prisoner take the gown from the chair and put it under her own. She then said, "I’m drunk, you do as I do." He shortly afterwards went to bed.

William Wood, assistant to Mr. Edmett, pawnbroker, proved taking the gown produced in pledge from the prisoner on the 19th September, giving her 1s. 6d.

Police-constable Hills deposed to taking the prisoner into custody. She said, "If I get the gown will you let me go." From information she gave him he went to Mr. Edmett’s and got the gown.

Prisoner was also charged with having been previously convicted of felony, to which charge she pleaded guilty.

Twelve months’ hard labour.


Maidstone Telegraph 4th June 1859.

At the Town hall on Wednesday 1st June 1859, Harriet Jones, an elderly woman was charged with being drunk and disorderly in the High Street on the same day.

P.C. Belsey stated that about midnight, he was on duty in the High Street, when his attention was attracted by the prisoner, who was very drunk and creating a disturbance, saying she wanted to get into the "Man of Kent" Beer house, where she had been lodging. He offered to give the prisoner a night's lodging, which she refused, and he was compelled to take her into custody. The prisoner expressed her sorrow for what had occurred, and after having been suitably admonished by the Chairman, was discharged and a constable was directed to see her out of the town!


Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 24 October 1865.

Theft from A Lodger.

Elizabeth Thompson, married woman, was charged with stealing a pair of boots, the property of Thomas Taylor, the prosecutor. Both parties had lodged at the "Man of Kent" beershop, High-street.

Remanded to Saturday.


Maidstone Telegraph, October 1865.

Stealing boots from the Man of Kent Lodging House.

At the Petty Sessions on Saturday 21st October 1865, Elizabeth Thompson, on remand from the Tuesday before, was charged with stealing a pair of boots, the property of George Tyler, from the "Man of Kent" lodging house, High Street, Maidstone.

Edward Collison deposed:- "I conduct the "Man of Kent" lodging house for my father when I am at home. The prisoner and a man named Tyler were lodging there on Monday night last. I went up stairs that night to see if I had room for lodgers. The man Tyler was in a bed, the prisoner occupied the night before. I asked him, what business he had there, and he said the woman showed him up. I told him to get up as I did not let single people sleep where the married people where. He then got up and said he had lost his shoes. I told him, he had better call in a policeman as I did not know anything about them. When the police constable came in we went upstairs to Tyler's room, but could not find the shoes. The prisoner was in another room, in the act of undressing with the shoes upon her feet. The prisoner came to the house on Saturday night and the prosecutor on Sunday, I did not notice the boots, the prosecutor was wearing at the time.

Elizabeth Jackson stated that she lodged at the "Man of Kent" on the Monday night and the boots produced, belonged to the prosecutor and she had seen them on his feet. The prisoner had laid down beside the man and shortly afterwards got up and left the room. She was in the same room at the time and the prisoner has laid on the outside of the bed.

George Tyler deposed:- I came by the last train from Strood on Sunday night and went to lodge at the "Man of Kent." I was wearing the boots produced when I came here. On Monday I saw the prisoner and she said she knew me and I treated her with some beer. On the Monday afternoon, I had spent all my money and I said to the prisoner, "It is getting late and you must pawn my waistcoat." She went and pawned it for 1 shilling 6d and gave me a shilling and kept the 6d herself. I asked her for the ticket but she refused to give it to me. She said she would pay my lodgings that night and I spent the shilling with prisoner. When night came, she told me to go to bed and wanted me to pull my boots off down stairs, I went upstairs and the prisoner showed me the bed. I pulled my clothes and boots off. My clothes I put under my head and the boots under the bed. I got into bed and the prisoner laid outside the bed in her clothes, I dozed off to sleep and the landlord came and aroused me, and told me I had no business there. I then got up and dressed but could not find my boots. I then went into the street without my boots and gave information to a police constable. The boots were afterwards found on prisoner's feet. I do not not recall seeing the prisoner after I lost my boots, till the constable came in. I was sober at the time. I have had the boots five weeks tonight.

P.C. Nelson proved to receiving information of the robbery from the prosecutor and on going to the "Man of Kent" lodging house, found the prisoner in a bedroom, in the act of dressing, with the missing boots upon her feet.

The prisoner denied the charge and stated the boots were her own and despite another witness stating the prisoner was wearing the same boots when she came to the "Man of Kent," she was found guilty and sentenced to six weeks' hard labour.



THOMPSON Thomas 1852+

THOMPSON Martha 1853+

COLLISON ???? 1865+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-