DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Saturday, 09 March, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1830+

Palm Tree

???? (Name to)

Westbere Lane

Westbere

 

According to a village history pamphlet, the building was a grocery shop in the early part of the 19th century and the owner, Thomas Marsh, may have taken advantage of the Beerhouse Act of 1830 in order to obtain an on licence. Until the change of use in the mid-19th century, the building had been known as the "Palm Tree." Palm is an old Kentish dialect word for yew.

In 1834 the villagers met at the "Palm Tree" for a Bread & Cheese charity feast.

By 1901 the name had changed to "Ye Olde Yew Tree."
 

LICENSEE LIST

MARSH Thomas 1830+

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com