DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Crayford, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Jim Packer

Earliest 1859

Traveller's Rest

Latest 1871

19 Old Road

Crayford

Traveller's Rest

The building reputed to be the "Traveller's Rest" is the one next to the greenhouse.

 

Mentioned in a book by Jim Packer called "Lost Pubs of Bexley."

William Owen leased a cottage and plantation called “Nettlebed Top Field,” from Frederick Barne Esq, who was the major landowner in the area. The site was just over 3 acres and was situated opposite the gasworks. Owen traded as farmer and market gardener from at least the early 1840s.

In 1859 the rate books changed the property description to Beer-shop etc. The premises were still described as a beerhouse, off and on, until 1871.

On 2 December 1867, Frederick Barne gave licence to “William Owen of Crayford in the County of Kent Beer-shop Keeper,” to assign unto “Edmund Cobley of Greenwich Road, Greenwich, Grocer,” the remaining 17 years of the lease at 10 per annum. Cobley was there from 1868-72 and, in spite of the rate book entry, it is unclear if he took out a licence. It was not noted as such in the Petty Sessions records of 1869.

Jim Packer says the name "Traveller's Rest" was given to a friend of mine by a former shopkeeper who later occupied the site. Whether he knew this information from a note on an old deed, or merely local hearsay, is unknown.

 

LICENSEE LIST

OWEN William 1859-2/Dec/67

COBLEY Edmund 2/Dec/1867-71

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.pubwiki.co.uk