Sort file:- Bromley, November, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 29 November, 2022.


Earliest 1829-

Cherry Tree

Latest 1850+


Bromley Common


Only the following instances of this found to date.


Kentish Chronicle, 24 November, 1829.

Attempted at Robbery.

Wednesday evening an inquest was held at the London Hospital, on the body of Henry White, a mechanic aged 26. It appeared that on the first instance the deceased, and a shopmate of his, of the name of Gill, had been spending the evening at the "Cherry Tree" public house at Bromley; and on his return home at night along the Bromley New-cut, he was met by ruffian, whose object no doubt was to rob him, and who strike him a violent blow on the forehead with a bludgeon, which so stunned him, that he instantly fell into the water. He almost directly, from the coldness of the water, recovered from the stunning effects of the blow; but perceiving his assailants standing on the bank, he apparently waited for his return, he swam to the opposite side of the canal, and thus evaded further violence. He found a deep wound on his forehead, which gave him great pain, and on the 11th instance he went into the Hospital. The wound was not mortal, but it produced lockjaw and death. The jury, after some deliberation, returned a verdict "That the deceased's death was caused by a lockjaw produced by a wound on the forehead, but by whom it was inflicted there is no evidence to show.


Kentish Gazette, 26 March 1850.

BROMLEY. Suspicious Death.

Mr. W. Baker, held an inquest on Friday se’nnight, at the "Cherry-tree" public-house, Bromley, touching the death of a respectably dressed female, name unknown, apparently about 30 years of age, who was drowned in the new cut of the river Lea, under the following circumstances:—

It appeared from the evidence of two witnesses, that between seven and eight o’clock on Wednesday evening, they were proceeding from Limehouse to Stratford, along the towing-path of the new cut of the Lea river. When near the Bromley Bridge the deceased passed them, going in the opposite direction, and walking quickly, they had not proceeded more than a dozen yards when their attention was arrested by the loud screams of a female, and on their looking round they observed the deceased deposit her bonnet on the ground and deliberately plunge into the water. They did not attempt to assist her, and on reaching the above house they gave an alarm. The drags were obtained, and after searching for some time they round the body, life being quite extinct. The deceased wore a gold wedding ring, and two of her front teeth are gone. The jury returned a verdict, "That the deceased destroyed herself by drowning; but as to the state of her mind at the time they had not sufficient evidence to say."

Shortly after the jury had been dismissed, a youth residing in the neighbourhood came forward and stated that on the evening in question he was passing the spot, and saw one of the men deliberately throw the deceased into the water, and, fearing they might serve him in the same way, he ran away, and was the first to give the alarm at the above house, which fact was established by the landlord of the house, who was from home during the above inquiry. The coroner has been made acquainted with the statement, and the occurrence has caused a great sensation in the locality.




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-