DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith

Earliest 1545-

Arms of England

Latest 1545+

Address unknown

 

In 1545, Henry VIII, a frequent visitor to the town, ruled that all inns and taverns, victualling houses etc., in the Borough, should have painted signs, on boards one foot square, hung over their hall doors so that the public might more readily recognise them. It had 8 beds and stabling. This house of John Bowles (Mayor of 1540) already complied with the decree, as did the only other house in Dover to do so, the "Lion Inn."

 

LICENSEE LIST

BOWLES John 1545

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.DeadPubs.co.uk