DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith

Earliest May 1635

City of Edinburgh

Latest 1755-

(Name to)

St. James' Street

 

In 1635 a Nicholas Ramsey was granted permission to call the premises "City of Edinburgh," after an American ship that sank in the Dover Straits. Later in 1652 he was presented to two magistrates at Dover and granted a licence to sell ales and cider from premises adjoining St James Church.

Two houses were converted to establish this pub between the years 1750 and 1760.

In 1775, it was purchased by John Iken, (or Jeken), and John Coleman, brewers, who later amalgamated with Edward Rutley. At some time previous to 1792, the sign had changed to "White Horse" and still plays an active part in the life of the town today.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WESTFIELD Robert 1760-75

McCORMACK John 1775

PAGE Thomas before 1826

RICHARDSON Richard before 1826

BALLARD Thomas previous to 1826

KEMP Thomas previous to 1826

LANE Mary previous to 1826

SMITH William prior to 1826

WILLS Susannah prior to 1826

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.DeadPubs.co.uk