Page Updated:- Saturday, 09 February, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1808-

Dublin Man of War

Closed Oct 2016

110 Lower Road


Dublin Man of War 1952.

Above photo, 1952 showing the hunt, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Dublin Man of War circa 1980

Photo above circa 1980 by Barry Smith.

Dublin Man of War circa 1980

Photo above circa 1980 by Barry Smith.

Dublin Man of War

Above Dublin Man of War circa 1985 photo by Barry Smith.

Dublin Man of War 2007

Photos above and below by Paul Skelton 8th Oct 2007

Dublin Man O War signDublin Man O War sign

Sign right circa 1998, sign left 2007

Original sign

Above showing the original sign underneath the painting of the battle scene, now showing as a permanent edition, March 2011.

Dublin Man of War sign 1981Dublin Man of War sign 1986

Dublin Man of War sign left, August 1981, right, April 1986.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis


The first house with the sign stood not far from the present and it was sold by Walker for 1,250 in 1859. John Knott served there in 1838. The pub so far has been traced back to 1833, when a Mrs Brockman was licensee there, or at least died in that year.


Kentish Gazette 01 February 1811.


From Dovor through Waldershire to Sandwich.

The next Meeting of the Trustees will be hoIden (by adjournment) on Monday next, the fourth day of this inst; February, at the "Dublin Man of War," River, at twelve o'clock at noon. W. Knocker, Clerk.


From the Dover Telegraph, 7 December, 1833.

Mrs BROCKMAN died 5 Dec at River – landlady of the "Dublin Man of War."


From the Dover Telegraph, 26 August, 1837.

Mr BROCKMAN, aged 72, died 19 August at River; many years landlord of "Dublin Man of War" public house.


River map 1881

Above map shows River in 1881. The yellow patch shows the original "Dublin-Man-O-War" public house. The green shows where it is situated today.

Minnis Lane 1913

Above photo, showing Minnis Lane in 1913. The original "Dublin Man of War" would have been to the right of the picture.


Kentish Gazette 18 November 1808.


At the "Dublin" Public House, in River, near Dover, on Monday next, the 21st day of November, 1808, at three o'clock in the afternoon.

About Six Acres and upwards of Underwood, called Rowe's Wood; and about Five Acres and upwards of Ditto, called Mean Hill; situated in the parish of Alkham.

For further particulars apply to Mr. Daniel Sutton, carpenter, at Dover.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 6 July, 1839.


An inquest was held at Knott's "Dublin Man of War," River, before T. T. De Lassaux, Esq. coroner for the county, on the body of Henry Jarvest, bricklayer, aged 53 years, whose death was caused by being knocked down and run over by the horses of the London Mail, on Tuesday morning. H. P. Mackenzie, in his evidence, stated that on the morning in question he saw the deceased standing in the road, opposite the Town-hall, and heard someone call out apparently to caution persons to get out of the road. A few moments afterwards he saw the deceased lying in the centre of the road, with the near hind wheel over the body. The mail was travelling at the usual rate, and the horses were all trotting, and the coachman pulled up as quickly as possible. The body was removed to the "Salutation," and medical assistance sent for. The deceased, who had worked for witness three years, was very deaf; so much so that he could only hear with a trumpet, and even then with great difficulty. Mr. Rutley, surgeon, attended the deceased shortly after the accident, and discovered a lacerated wound on the left side of the head and face. He caused the deceased to be removed to his residence, at River, where he subsequently attended him; and on further examination, he considered his death was caused from internal injuries.

Verdict, "Accidental death, with a deodand of 1s. on the horses." The jury concurred that no blame was attached to the coachman.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 June, 1859.


John Huggett and Mary Huggett, the man and woman who had been taken before the Borough Magistrates the same morning and remanded to this office, were brought up by police-constable William Terry, charged - the man from stealing from the person of George Hawkins, a brickmaker, a portemonnaie (A small pocketbook or wallet for carrying money) containing 4s. 6d. in money, together with a pocket-book, and the woman with receiving the same, knowing them to be stolen.

George Hawkins said he was a labourer living near the "Halfway House" to Canterbury, and was drinking at Mr. Knott's public house, at River, on Saturday, in company with the male prisoner, who was a fellow-workman, and some other men. When he went into the house his portemonnaie contained 9s. That was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. He remained drinking and treating other men till about 9, and in that time spent 4s. 6d., leaving 4s. 6d. still in his purse. He had become intoxicated, but knew perfectly well what he was doing. About the hour mentioned he went into a stable at the rear of Mr. Knott's house to lie down, being assisted there by the landlord and the male prisoner. He lay down, and Huggett and the landlord went away, but in a short time Huggett returned and felt in his (prosecutor's) pockets. He took from the right hand pocket of his (prosecutor's) trousers his portemonnaie, containing the sum above stated, and from the inner breast pocket of his coat a leathern pocket book, in which were some letters and the certificate of a child's death. The letters were addressed to his father-in-law, Joseph Deal, and were from his brother-in-law, whose name was also Joseph Deal. One was from Portsmouth. The name of his father-in-law and his own name wee in the book. He asked prisoner what he was about, when he replied that he (prisoner) was his friend, that he had been drinking with him, and would take care of his money for him.

In reply to the Magistrates, prosecutor said he was too drunk to get up and prevent Huggett taking his property away, although he was perfectly conscious of what passed. On going to Huggett's house on the following morning and requesting him to give up the pocket-book and purse Huggett denied that he had taken them, and he therefore went and gave information to the police.

Mrs. Charlotte Baker, wife of John Baker, "a manufacturer of safety lights," carrying on business in Essex Street, Mile-end, London, said he lodged at Buckland at the house in which the prisoner also occupied apartments. On Saturday night she heard them quarrelling about a letter, and from what passed it appeared that the woman had got a letter from her husband which he wanted returned to him. Shortly afterwards the female prisoner came to her and asked her what she had overheard, and whether she would read to her a letter she had with her, as she herself could neither read or write. She had in her had a pocket-book with a dark-brown leather cover. She opened it and took from it a letter which she handed to witness to read. The letter had been written at Portsmouth, and appeared to be from a son to his mother; but witness did not recollect the signature. The pocket-book also contained a certificate of the death of Thoman Joseph Deal. Witness observed to her, "Your husband's name is not Deal," to which Huggett replied "No," and then returned the letter and certificate to the pocket-book and went away.

William Terry, a constable of the borough police force, said that in consequence of information furnished by the prosecutor he apprehended the male prisoner Huggett at his lodgings on the previous morning upon a charge of stealing a purse and money and a pocket-book, belonging to the prosecutor. He denied any knowledge of either, and also persisted in that denial upon the charge being read over to him by the superintendent of police after he was lodged at the station-house. The prisoner accompanied witness to the lodging of the prisoners. Witness searched the male prisoner after he was in custody, but nothing to connect him with the robbery was found on him. That (Monday) morning, while in custody at the borough magistrates' court prisoner asked to see the prosecutor. On witness telling him that was impossible, he said, "I did take the pocket-book, and I burnt it when I heard the police were after me, but I know nothing about the purse." hearing that the prisoner had been seen with the pocket-book, witness returned to the prisoner's lodgings and took her into custody, when she denied that she had had it, but subsequently acknowledged that she had taken the pocket-book from her husband's pocket, and that after getting the contents read to her she had returned it.

By the male prisoner - When admitting that you had had the pocket-book you told me that you picked it up in the room in the public-house.

The prisoner also cross-examined the prosecutor, to show that before he retired to the stable he lay upon a form in the public-house and rolled off to the floor.

Superintendent Coram said that from what had been ascertained he did not think the woman was feloniously implicated, but had taken the pocket-book from her husband in a fit of jealously, and under the impression that the letters it contained had been received by him from another woman.

The Magistrates, believing this to be fact, discharged the female prisoner.

Huggett, on being called upon for his defence, denied any knowledge of the purse. He admitted that he had the pocket-book, but said that he had picked it up from the floor of the tap room.

 The Bench committed him for trial at the next East Kent Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 June, 1859.


John Huggett, a brick-maker, was charged with stealing a portemonnaie containing 4s. 6d., and a pocket-book, the property of George Hawkings, at River, on the preceding Saturday; and Mary Hugget, his wife was charged with feloniously receiving the stolen articles. It appeared that the prosecutor and the male prisoner were fellow-work-men and had been drinking together at the "Dublin Man of War," at River, on the preceding Saturday, and that the prosecutor, becoming intoxicated, went into a stable at the rear of the house to lie down. When he went into the stable he had his purse, containing the sum stated, safe in his possession. After laying there some time he was aroused by some one, and, looking up, saw Huggett, who had got his purse, and who told him that he was "his friend" and would take care of it for him. Although sober enough to remember this, the prosecutor was too drunk to prevent Huggett walking off with his property; but as soon as he had sufficiently recovered he came to the police-station at Dover and gave information of what had transpired, and on Sunday morning the prisoners were apprehended at their lodgings at Buckland. The property taken from the prosecutor had not been found, but it was ascertained that the female prisoner had been dealing with a pocket-book believed to be the prosecutor's.

The Magistrates thought the case did not come within their jurisdiction, and the prisoners were therefore remanded to the County Magistrates' office. Their examination will be found elsewhere reported.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 13 August, 1859.


A select pic-nic will take place on Monday, August 15th, 1859, when the attendance of yourself and friends are particularly requested.

Tickets, 1s 6d. each, to be obtained of Mr. Penn, baker, High Street; Mr. Dowle, Bench Street; Mr. J. Nazer, Cannon Street; Mr. Prescott, Oxenden Street; Mr. H. Burton, High Street; Mr. Yonwin, "Star Inn," Church Street; Mr. Knott, jun., "Dublin Man of War Inn," River.

Leaver's Quadrille Band is engaged.

Tea at half-past Four o'clock.

Admission after Tea Sixpence each.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 3 September, 1859.


George Jones and Charles White, brick-makers were charged with feloniously possessing themselves of 5 8s. 9d., the property of their employers, Messrs. Nightingale and Bushell.

The grounds upon which the prisoners had been given into custody were a little singular. It appeared that they had been employed in a "gang" composed of themselves and two other men, and that the "ganger," a man named George Welsh, had been authorised to pay their wages, which in the whole amounted to the sum alleged to have been stolen, on the previous Saturday. On the men being set on, Welsh had, in accordance with the practice of gangers, become answerable to the landlord of the "Dublin Man of War" (Mr. Knott), where the prisoners had been lodging, for their board and lodging, and he had intended to stop the amount due to the landlord out of their wages. Before he could do so, however, one of the men got possession of the money an shared it with his fellow workmen, for which act he had been given in custody of the police on a charge of felony. The following is the evidence:-

George Welch - I am a foreman in the employ of Messrs. Nightingale and Bushell. The prisoners, George Jones and Charles White are also in their employ and have been at work with two other men during the last week at River. All the four men came to the pay-table at the "Dublin Man of War," River, on Saturday afternoon, and I had their wages, amounting altogether to 5 8s. 9d., to pay them; but out of this sum 3 0s. 11d. had to be deducted for the board and lodging of the four men, and for which I had  become responsible to the landlord, Mr. Knott. Before handing the men their money, I put the whole amount down on the pay-table. The four men were in the room, but I had no time to say who it was for. I said, before putting it down, "I have got the money," and as soon as I put it down the prisoner Jones took it up and went off. I followed him and asked him what he was going about, when he replied that he was going to buy some extra eggs. (A laugh.) I told him he had better give me the money he had taken; but I said nothing to him about stoppages. I wanted back the whole on the money. I kept him "in tow" until the policeman came, when I gave him in charge for taking the money. During the time Jones had the money he shared it among the four.

By the Mayor - Do you know what arrangement was made between the master and the men as to wages, or whether it was understood in their agreement that part of their wages was to be stopped?

I was responsible to the landlord for the board and lodging of the men, and I became so with their consent.

There was no further evidence with respect to the taking of the money.

The Magistrates thought the only point was whether the prisoners had or had not authorised any stoppage of their wages for paying the bill of the landlord, which was scarcely a question for the Magistrates.

Another of Messrs. Nightingale and Bushell's gangers, who was present, said that it was his practice, when employing men like the prisoners, to become answerable for their board and lodging to the landlord of the house at which they might be staying, and before paying them their wages to stop the amount.

Mr. Finnis said he should like to know how Jones and White got into custody. At present they appeared charged with an offence unsupported by a particle of evidence.

Lewis Whorwell, the constable who took the prisoners into custody, was then called.

He said - I received the prisoners into custody from the last witness about half-past five on Saturday last. He gave them in charge for stealing 5 8s. 9d. I enquired into the circumstances, and Welch replied that the money had been stolen from his pay-table at the "Dublin Man of War." He said he was bound to see each man paid his regular wages, otherwise he should be the loser himself. I asked him if he persisted in preferring the charge, and he said he did. I then took prisoners into custody. Welch said nothing about stoppages. On searching Jones I found on him 1 4s. 0d., and on the other prisoner 1 2s. 6d. I did not find 5 8s. 9d. altogether, but Welch said the prisoners had given some of the money to some other men.

The Bench dismissed the case, observing that if the prisoners were indebted to the landlord of the "Dublin Man of War" the landlord could find his remedy in another court.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 14 May, 1880. Price 1d.


An inquest was held at one o'clock on Monday afternoon at the “Dublin Man of War” public-house, River, before T. T. Delasaux, Esq. the Coroner for East Kent, on the body of William East, then living at Crabble House.

The following were the Jury:- Messrs. R. F. Jennings (foreman), J. W. Bacon, G. H. Igglesden, G. Brothright, E. Hills, A. Hewett, J. Hollis, W. Graves, J. J. Robinson, Jun. W. Wood, T. W. Fry, R. Tritton, and C. Goodchild.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll was present to represent the deceased's family, and also Police-sergeant Barton on behalf of the Dover Police, the deceased's residence being at Dover.

The following evidence was taken:-

Reynolds Mowlle, of 36, High Street, Charlton, Dover, said: The deceased also lived at Charlton, and his age was about 74. On Tuesday, May 4th, I accompanied the deceased, his son, and house-keeper in a four-wheeled pony carriage, for a drive, starting from my own house about a quarter-past two in the afternoon. The deceased was driving, and, as usual, very steady. We intended going as far as the “Halfway House” on the Canterbury Road. We proceeded up Crabble Hill, and turned down to the left into Crabble. When hear the railway arch two brick carts were seen approaching. The horse suddenly shied and bolted, and then I know the carriage went on its side, and we were all thrown out of the trap on to a heap of stones. The deceased must have reached the ground first, for I fell upon him. When I became conscious there was blood on the deceased's forehead, and he was still insensible. I was removed into the house of Mr. Langley, and also the deceased, Miss Stevens, a lodger, kindly giving up her rooms to us. The deceased remained there until his death, which was on Saturday evening about seven o'clock, when I was with him. I believe it purely an accident. There were two seats, the deceased and myself being on the front, and the other two behind.

By the Jury: We stopped at the top of the hill, but I can't say if it was to put on the break.

Charles Langley, of Crabble House, in the parish of River, lodging-house keeper, said: About half-past two on Tuesday, May 4th, whilst indoors I saw a horse and carriage go by at a furious rate without any driver or anyone in it. It went round by the Paper Mills and I saw one wheel was missing. I went out and saw the deceased and last witness on top of a heap of stones, and two others lying at the side. The last witness, who had fallen on the deceased, was after I got assistance removed to my house, and Miss Stevens, a lodger, kindly gave her room up for them. The deceased was then taken into the house, and some men from the mill looked after the others who were sensible and did not receive great injury. The deceased's head was resting on his left shoulder and he complained and said, “Oh my neck; put my head up.” A tooth fell out of his mouth on to his coat when he was moved. On examination of the spot I found the impression of a wheel or wheels had passed over a heap of stones at the said of the road, which I should think was the cause of the accident. There were only three spokes in the wheel that came off. I sent for medical assistance and the deceased stayed at my house until his death.

Mr. Osbourne, of 2, St. Martin's Terrace, Dover, said: On Tuesday, May 4th, at about five o'clock, he was sent for by Mr. E. P. Robinson to attend deceased at the residence of the last witness. I attended at once and found deceased conscious, and he said he had had a carriage accident. I examined him and found the deceased had no feeling below the middle of his chest and was quite paralysed. I continued to attend him until his death on Saturday evening from concussion of the spine, which might have happened through a carriage accident like the one described.

The Jury, after a short consideration, returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”

Mr. Worsfold Mowll said on behalf of the deceased's family he had to tender their best thanks to Mr. Langley and the ladies at his house, and also to Mrs. Wood for their kind assistance at the time.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 13 April, 1883. Price 1d.

On Sunday morning the body of John Knott, formerly landlord of the “Dublin Man-of-War” at River, but who has lately been residing in Dover, was picked up in the Granville Dock. The manner of his coming there is unknown.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 13 April, 1883. Price 1d.


An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon last, at the “George Inn,” Commercial Quay, before the Coroner (S. Payn, Esq.), on the body of John Knott, late landlord of the “Dublin Man-of-War” public-house, River.

The following gentleman were on the Jury:- John Erby (foreman), Messrs. Pendley, H. Farley, W. Wilden, G. M. Houlden, T. Lane, James Emery, W. D. Dance, James Hopper, G. T. Wilkins, J. White, J. Harris, M. Kounely, H. Blair, and J. Hors.

Samuel John Knott, a carpenter living at 14 Magdela Road, Buckland, said: The body of the deceased lying at the Dead House is that of my father, and his name is John Knott, a publican, but at present out of employment. He kept, for a long time the “Dublin man-of-War” at River. He has been for some time living at Mr. Ayres, blacksmith, Priory Road. On Saturday night at twenty minutes to eight I last saw him alive and he was then at home. I left the house leaving him at home. For the last twelve months the deceased has suffered from rheumatic gout. He has done nothing to lead us to suppose that he would destroy himself. He continually went for walks on to the Pier and in that district. He was 52 years of age.

Frank Ayres, son of Richard Ayres a blacksmith, living at the forge house, Priory Road, said: The deceased Mr. Knott lodged with my father. At about half-past nine o'clock on Saturday evening he left home and I wished him “good night,” but he made no answer and went out.

By the foreman: Witness said that the deceased had lodged with his father for six months. I have never seen him taking any medicine.
Jesse Keeler, a mariner, living at No. 11 St. John's Place said: On Sunday morning I was walking along the Quay at a quarter to six, when I saw the body of the deceased in the water opposite the Custom house. I obtained a boat and found that the body was standing nearly upright, and he had his hat and all his clothes on. With assistance I lifted him into the boat and took him to the Dead House. The limbs of the deceased were limp as if they had not been in the water long. The inside of the hat was not wet.

Mr. C. C. Walter surgeon to the Borough Police said: On Sunday morning at about eight o'clock I was called to go to the Dead House to see the deceased. I went and examined the body externally. There were no marks of violence – death was caused I believe by drowning. About six months ago I attended the deceased for congestion of the lungs, and he also suffered from rheumatic fever. He was then very depressed and wanted to know whether he was going to die. He told me that he was losing money, and was rather in difficulties.

The Jury returned an open verdict of “Found Drowned.”


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 27 August 1887.


James Rolls, landlord of the "Dublin Man of War," River, was summoned on the information of Superintendent Maxted, for selling whisky adulterated with water.

After hearing the evidence of P.C. Holness, who purchased the spirits, the magistrates dismissed the case.


Dover Express 22 April 1898.


Mr. Rutley MowIl applied for an order to make final a provisional permission for the removal of the license of the "Dublin Man of War," at River, to new premises which had been erected on the other side of the road, to where it had formerly stood. The tenant, who would remain in chart, had already been in the house for the last twelve years.

Mr. Mowll called the architect, Mr. Edwin Pover, who said that the house had been completed in accordance with the plans, as laid before the bench.

The application was granted subject to the production of the License.



From the above article dated April 1898 I suggest the original house closed around this month.

The present house was reported as fairly new in 1907 and I was very impressed by the advertisement I saw dated 1914. It stated that the house had tea gardens set amongst the walnut and cherry trees and it invited people to get the children off the road so they would not get knocked down by the traffic. The public were also invited to indulge in the more potent liquors, which it claimed were the natural beverages of the open air loving Englishman.

However, the original house used to have its own bowling green.


Dover Express 21st September 1900.


Arthur Brookman was charged with being disorderly on August 28th at the "Dublin Man of War," River.

Horace George Rolles, son of the landlord of the "Dublin Man of War," gave evidence in support of the charge.

Prisoner said that the reason he created a disturbance was that he could not get his change for a sovereign.

Rolles said this was quite untrue.

PC McKie gave evidence that the defendant was the worse for liquor and that he ejected him from the "Dublin of War."

The Bench imposed a penalty of 1 inclusive or 14 days. The money was paid.


From The Dover Express, Friday, August 21,1903; pg. 7; Issue 2355.


On Tuesday afternoon, the funeral took place of Horace George Rolle, the youngest son of Mrs. Rolle, of the "Dublin Man O' War", River, who died on the previous Friday. The greatest sympathy is felt for Mrs. Rolle in her bereavement, as it will be remembered that she has lost her husband, three daughters, and two sons, and one son-in-law in a very short period. The wreaths were sent by Miss Adcock, Mr. Terson, Miss Jeffries, the Kearsney Social Club, Mrs. Curtis, and others.


Dover Express 15 September 1905.


On Tuesday evening about eight o'clock, Mrs. Rolles, the well known and respected landlady of the "Dublin Man of War," River, broke her right leg just below the knee owing to falling from a chair, on which she was standing in her bedroom, whilst reaching up to a cupboard. Dr. Rubel and Dr. Robins have been in attendance, and, naturally, owing to the lady's advanced age, her condition is regarded with some anxiety.


Dover Express 07 May 1915.


(To the Editor of the Dover Express.)

Sir, - May I beg a little space in your valuable paper? Last (Wednesday) evening, from 8.40 until 10.40 p.m., we were subjected to a drunken brawl and fight between nine soldiers, who occupied the whole of the road outside the "Dublin Man-of-War." Surely such a thing would not be allowed in the town, and yet we are heavy ratepayers and receive no advantages as in the town. These soldiers were allowed to carry on, and there were no police or pickets to stop it. Would it not be much better, to save scenes as was witnessed last night, to let the picket patrol these dark roads as well as the lighted main street?



Dover Express 13 May 1921.

The funeral of Mrs. Worster, wife of Mr. A. Worster, of the "Dublin Man-o'-War," took place on Monday at River Churchyard, the Rev. D. A. Townend officiating. Mrs. Worster died on Thursday last week, after a long illness. The mourners present were Mr. A. Worster (husband), Messrs. L. M., L., and E. Worster (sons), Mr. and Mrs. Houghton (brother-in-law and sister), and Mr. and Mrs. Bayley (brother-in-law and sister). Wreaths were sent from Alec (husband), Leslie, Evarards and Edward (sons); Mr. and Mrs. Houghton; Mr. and Mrs. Bayley; Mr. Burvine; Mr. Twyman; Mr. Jackson; Mr. and Mrs. E Brockman; Mr. and Mrs. Duggan; Mr. and Mrs. Brisley; Mr. and Mrs. Russell and Ray; Mr. Arnold; Mr. J. Fox; Mr. and Mrs. Todd ; Aunty; Connie and George, also Mr. and Mrs. Varden; River Peace Committee: and two wreaths from the "Dublin Man-o'-War " Slate Club. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Morgan, of Maxston.


Dover Express 24 November 1922.


The sudden death of Mr. Alexander Worster, of the "Dublin Man-o'-War," River, on Tuesday was the subject of an inquest held there by the Borough Coroner, Mr. Sydenham Payn, on Thursday afternoon.

Leslie Moncriffe Worster, a son, identified the deceased as his father, Alexander Worster, who was a commission agent, aged 58 years. The licence of the "Dublin Man-o'-War" was in his name, but it was being transferred to witness. When his father went out on Tuesday morning, about 9 a.m., to go to his business he appeared in his usual health, and made no complaint. Witness did not see him again until he returned about 5 p.m., when he still seemed in his usual health. He had been riding his motor cycle, and said he had been to St. Margaret's. He warmed his hands in front of the fire. He said that he had had trouble with his cycle on Crabble Hill, and had had to push it all the way up. He did not seem disturbed at all; in fact, he came in singing and sat down in the armchair. He sat there about five minutes, and asked witness to look over his cycle in the morning. Then he suddenly went back in the chair and made a gulping noise, and appeared to die. Witness sent his brother for the doctor, and Dr. Howden arrived. As far as witness knew, his father had had no extra worry or excitement recently. He could not remember him having had a doctor, but he had rheumatic fever five times before he was married.

Alice Glasse, a widow, and a sister of the deceased, said that she had been in charge of the house since April, 1921, when his wife died. She had not known him to have a day's illness. She saw him on Tuesday, when he came home at 5 p.m., when he seemed wonderfully well. He was warming his hands, which he said were cold, and then, leaning back in the chair, and, without a struggle, he expired. She knew the deceased had had rheumatic attacks before he was married. He suffered with his feet through rheumatism.

Dr. I. Howden said that on Tuesday, at 5.10, on arrival home, found that he had been telephoned for. He went at once to the "Dublin Man-o'-War," and on arrival found Mr. Worster supported in a chair by his sister near the sitting room fire. The deceased had been dead, perhaps, a quarter of an hour. The two previous witnesses and two other people were present, and he heard what they said. He had attended all the family except the deceased at different times, but he had no doubt, from what he was told, that he died from heart failure. His appearance was consistent with such a view.

The Coroner: Pushing a bicycle up a hill did not do him any good?

No; probably that was the cause.

A death from natural causes was returned.


Dover Express 7th September 1945.

Town, Port & Garrison.

On Thursday, Anthony Gallagher, Aged 15, of 59 Hillside Road, was cycling in Lower Road near the “Dublin Man O’War” when he was thrown off by a sunken inspection cover. He was taken to hospital with a fracture of the left elbow and detained.


From an email received, 25 June 2012.

Can you help me? I am trying to find out if there was a bowling green with the pub when it was situated across the road.

The reason for my asking is that the other day at auction I came across a pair of bowling balls marked 'Won by T. Pain Jun, 31/8/83 on the Dublin Man of War Green, River'. I can only presume that the date must be 1883 as the 'new' pub does not have a bowling green.


Lee Abraham.


Lee kindly sent me the following pictures of the bowls.

Bowls Bowls nameBowls name


The tenants and managers can all be counted on the fingers so that says a lot.


This old outlet of Flint passed to Fremlin and several bars were converted to open plan by Alan Ellis in 1987.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 24 September, 1937.


Pavilion meadow, River, 1937

Good progress has been made on the new road at Pavilion Meadow, leading off the Lower Road, River (in the forefront of the picture). It has been cut from a point about 80 yards on the left on the Kearsney side of the "Dublin Man-o-War." A row of houses is to be built on the site behind the "Dublin Man-o-War." Mr. Douglass Pope, of Folkestone, is the builder.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 11 February, 1938.


Laying the drain 1938

The laying of a surface water drain from the Chisnell Estate, Lower Road, into the River Dour has necessitated the temporary closing of Minnis Lane at this point. The "Dublin Man-of-War" can be seen at the back of the picture.


From the Dover Express, Thursday, 25 October, 2012. 65p.


Prizes for the best fancy dress and most petrifying pumpkin will be handed out at a charity event at The "Dublin" pub on Lower Road at the weekend to raise money for the Pilgrim's Hospice.

Organiser Jemma Perry said one of the pub's regular darts players is suffering from cancer and the money raised on the day will go towards helping her.

The Hallowe'en-themed event will run from 2-5pm on Sunday. Entry is free.

Stock Car

Above photo showing the pubs Stock Car. June 2014. Photo by Raven-Cheyenne Caistor.


Latest news is that the pub has now closed (October 2016) and is being boarded up. The plans being to build houses on the land and possibly bulldoze to pub to make way for even more houses.



BROCKMAN Mrs to Dec/1833 dec'd

BROCKMAN Mr to 1837 dec'd

KNOTT John sen.1838-(59) dec'd (age 56 in 1851Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847Melville's 1858Post Office Directory 1874

KNOTT John jun. 1859-81+

KNOTT Mrs Anne Mary 1881-Nov/1882 (widow age 84 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882Dover Express (Nee Dawkins)

EDGAR Thomas D Nov/1882+ Dover Express

ROLLE James 1887-1901+ Pikes 1889Pike 1890Piks 1891Pikes 1895Pikes 1896-7Pikes 1898Pikes 1899Kelly's Directory 1899Pikes 1899-1900Post Office Directory 1903

ROLLE Mrs Emily S 1903-Nov/11 (widow age 70 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1903Dover Express

WORSTER Alexander Nov/1911-Jan/23 dec'd Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1922

GOODBAN Walter Jan/1923-Oct/40 dec'd (age 71 in 1939) Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Post Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39Dover Express (Of Canterbury)

GOODBAN Leslie Walter Oct/1940-68 dec'd Dover ExpressPikes 48-49Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

HALL Alan Kenneth 1968-84 end Library archives 1974 Fremlins

Last pub licensee had ELLIS Alan Leslie 1984-90

SMITH Ken & Mary 1999-Nov/2004

HAWKER Neil to 2010-15/Feb/13

COLVIN Nigel & Pauline 15/Feb/2013-Oct/16


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Pikes 1889From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1889

Pike 1890From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1890

Piks 1891From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Pikes 1896-7From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1896-97

Pikes 1898From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1898

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Pikes 1899From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1899

Pikes 1899-1900From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1899-1900

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-