DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1854

Effingham Arms

Latest 1867

(Name to)

32 Townwall Street

 

On a corner with Wall Passage and kept by Mrs. Walls in 1854. Its closure was the result of misdemeanours in 1862.

The Dover telegraph of May 1858 advertised the premises to be let and the following advert was placed:-

 

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 22 May, 1858. Price 4d.

TO BE LET

A FREE PUBLIC-HOUSE, called the "EFFINGHAM ARMS," Townwall Street, the present Owner Retiring from Business.

 

From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 September, 1863.

ANNUAL LICENSES

At the last annual renewal of licenses, the license for the "Effingham Arms," Townwall Street, was refused, on the grounds of its having been kept in a disorderly manner. The landlord had accordingly let the house, which had been taken by Thomas Taylor, late of the "Antwerp Tap," who now applied for the renewal of the license. The application was granted, but as it appeared a great many complaints were made as to the manner of conducting the "Antwerp Tap," when kept by Taylor, the Bench cautioned him as to his future conduct.

 

Taylor left the "Antwerp Tap" to reopen the following year and must have made a success of it. The new sign from or by 1867, was "The Sussex Arms".

 

LICENSEE LIST

BALL Benjamin 1847 Next pub licensee had Bagshaw's Directory 1847

WALLS Mrs 1854

LAWS Mrs 1854

LAWS William Nov/1858 Dover Express

TAYLOR Mrs Polhill Nov/1858+ Dover Express

HARRIS William 1862 end Dover Express

TAPSELL James Jan/1862 Dover Express

TAPSELL Richard 1862?

TAMSETT J 1862?

Last pub licensee had TAYLOR Thomas Sept/1863

To "The Sussex Arms"

 

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML