Sort file:- Deal, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.


Earliest 1694

Five Bells

Latest 1824+

(Name to)

Five Bells Lane

Queen Street



Built in 1694 in Five Bells Lane, the Lane became Queen Street just before the 1740s.


From the Kentish Gazette, 28 April, 1786.

To cover this season, at Thomas Mummery's, at the "Five Bells Inn," Deal, at one Guinea the Mare and five shillings the Groom.

The noted horse Trimmer is 15 hands and a half high, Master of 16 stone, and free from blemish.

Trimmer was got by Mr. Turner's horse Spot; Spot was got by Blank, his Dam by Regulus, his Grandam by Royal, who was the sire of Captain Appleyard's Bold Charlotte; the Great Grandam by Mr. Corwen's Grey Barb; his Great Great Grandam by Mr. Carwen's Bay Barb, sire of Brockleby's Betty, and out of a Mare of Lord Longdale's, called the Tyrconnel Mare, which Mare was bred by Mr. Curwen, and esteemed one of the best Mares he had.

The above pedigree was taken from Mr. Curwen's own books by Charles Pelham Esquire, of Brocklesby. His damn by Sportsman, his Grandam by Cullen, his Great Grandam by Rib, his Great Great Grandam by Partner. The above Horse was bred by J. Warren, Esquire of Stapleford. Trimmer never started but three times, and one early each time, and was then lamed.

Good grass for Mares at 2s. 6d. per week, and the utmost care taken of them. Trimmer is healthy and bony, a successful Foal getter and his Foals capital.


From the Dover Mercury, 26 November, 2009.

Wider street needed as the car came into its own.

THE car has a lot to answer for in the alterations and appearance of Deal town centre.

This old view of Queen Street, formerly Five Bells Lane, has substantially altered, with properties demolished for road widening and removal of forecourts to create wider pavements.

The old Queen Street

On the right are the offices of the East Kent Mercury, which started business in 1865 and at one time had a front garden surrounded with neat iron fencing. Beyond were Mr Inkerman Baker's ham and beef stores, previously Stephen Laker's bootmaker's shop. Mr E. Williams saddle and harness shop, earlier owned by Mr Bushell, was further along and at the bottom of the road was Mr Frank Romney's bakery with a variety of later owners.

On the left in the foreground was Dobson's Cafe and Restaurant later becoming Little's Cafe and Restaurant and now the empty building of the former Deal Job Centre.

The row of shops beyond included Vye & Sons "the Kentish grocers" Queen Street branch; A. W. Page shoe shop; E. F. Howe stationers; a dairy under various ownership including H S Thacker; and Spencer Smith's butchers that was later owned by C E Thorpe.

Beyond can just been seen Burton's men's outfitters in Broad Street on the corner of the High Street that is now Your Move estate agents.

The old Now and Then picture is taken from Shops Remembered in Deal and Walmer by former East Kent Mercury journalist Judith Gaunt, who lives in Deal.

She is signing copies of her book on Sunday at Deal Book Fair which is being held in the Cleary Room at the Landmark Centre, High Street, from loam to 2.30pm.

Judith said she was thrilled with the response to her book.

Queen Street 2009

Queen Street, Deal, In November 2009, with the Mercury office on the right Picture: Paul Amos PDI646816


Still called the "Five Bells" in 1824, the public house had changed to the "Swan" by 1828.



MUMMERY Thomas 1786+

LADD William 1804-24+ Next pub licensee had Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1824


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-