|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
Situated between Rhodes Minnis and Stelling Minnis and dated as far back as 1847 when Bagshaw's directory shows a Nicholas Swain as licensee and also farmer.
Under the Parish of Lyminge but situated in Rhodes Minnis, this establishment is still serving drinks, but unfortunately no longer holds a license. It closed as a public house in the 1990s and is now part of the Lord Whiskey Animal Sanctuary. It has been suggested that the name originated after the gate in the road that can be seen on the old OS maps.
The pub was in 1910 a Mackeson's of Hythe tied house.
SWAIN Nicholas 1847-55+ (also farmer) address given as Mockbeggar.
FISHER Robert 1858
COUZENS George 1859-82+ (also farmer)
CAUSINS Sarah 1881 (spelling mistake?)
WARWICK Edward 1887-91 (also flowers farmer)
SPILLET Henry W 1895+
TILLEY Mrs Ellen 1899-1907+
RUGG Frederick Rowland 1909+
ROBERTS Ernest 1911-18+
From Bagshaw Directory 1847
From Melville's Directory 1858
From the Post Office Directory 1874
From the Post Office Directory 1913
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-