Sort file:- Deal, May, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 29 May, 2022.


Earliest Feb 1867

(Name from)

Oak and Ivy

Latest 2004

60 Blenheim Road


Oak and Ivy 1907

Above photo, 1910, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Oak and Ivy 2001

Above photo taken by Ron Shelvey 3 July 2001, who says:-

"My brother, Ern Shelvey, and I visited this pub and had a drink outside knowing that at one period of time our Great Grandfather had been the Licensee.

He was Daniel Shelvey Born 1837 and Died 1907.

Kind Regards,

Ron Shelvey.

Oak and Ivy

Above photograph by Patricia Streater 9th February 2010, showing the former "Oak and Ivy."

Oak and Ivy window

Above photo kindly supplied by Trevor Hatton.


From the East Kent Mercury, 13 July, 1983.

Oak and Ivy 1910

Mrs J Fermor, of East Farleigh, sent the East Kent Mercury this picture of the "Oak and Ivy" in Denmark Place, Deal, in 1910. Her grandfather, Arthur Wackett, is driving the 36-seat brake in hand, Does anyone know what was the occasion?


Oak and Ivy sign 1992

Above sign 1992, with thanks to Deal library.


Earliest mention I have found to date is from the Deal Licensing Register 1869 as a beer-house, but previously called the "Crown" as early as 1847 when the road was called South Sandy Lane. It changed name to Blenheim Road in 1869.

In 1869 when the Deal Licensing Register still referred to the premises as a beer-house and in 1903 it was referred to as an alehouse being supplied by George Beer and Sons.

It appears that in March 1872, new landlord Daniel Shelvey applied to have the name of the house changed again, this time to the "Flying Horse." I have not found a pub with that name in this area, so obviously it never happened.


From the Deal, Walmer & Sandwich Mercury, 27 March, 1872.

The license of the "Oak and Ivy," beer-house, Blenheim Road, was endorsed from Mr. Curling to Mr. D. Shelvey, who expressed a wish to alter the sign of the house to the "Flying Horse." He was informed that he must wait till the next licensing day.


From the Deal, Walmer & Sandwich Mercury, 4 April, 1874.


John Dessant a labourer, was summoned by Thomas H. Pain, cooper, for assaulting him at the "Oak and Ivy," public-house, on the 24th March.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

Thomas Pain deposed: On the morning in question I called in at the "Oak and Ivy," and whilst there the defendant came to the bar. Seeing him there, and having some business with him, I called him into a room and asked him how we could arrange about some things which were in a store which I used formerly to hire. I said the casks must be got out as the parties had sent for them. The answer he gave me was, "We will settle it this way, you ____", and then struck me a blow on the nose. I went and asked the landlady Mrs. Shelvey, for some water to wash my face in as it was bloody, and whilst I was washing he hit me again, as near the same place as he could. He then went away, and I afterwards left. As I was passing the "Swan Inn" on my way home I saw defendant and some other men at work there. I asked him if he were not ashamed of what he had done, when one of his mates said, "Give it to him again Johnny." He came towards me as if he were going to strike me, but someone came round the corner at the time and he went back and resumed his work. I walked away.

Cross-examined: I was not drunk at the time I spoke to you. I will swear that I did not strike you. The door of the room was shut so that anyone standing at the bar could not see what was done. I did not fall down at all. The scar on my nose was not occasioned by my falling, but by a blow. I still say you struck me a second time whilst I was washing my face. The landlady was present in the bar when this second blow was struck, but whether she saw it or not I cannot say. There was also a man sitting in front of the bar and I said to him, " You are a witness," but he laughed and said "That's nothing; I know nothing about it."

In defence Dessent  said, he went into the public-house to get a glass of beer, and whilst at the bar Pain, who was sitting in the room, called him in and said he wanted him to go at ten o'clock the next morning to Mr. Mercer's office. Defendant inquired what he was to go there for, and added, "Tom, you are drunk, and I won't talk to you now; but I am working at the "Swan," and if you have anything to say to me you can come there to-morrow." He then walked out of the room, and Pain followed him and wanted to know if he said that he (Pain) was drunk. Dessent told him that he was not sober, and then Pain struck him, when defendant gave him a push and he fell backwards. Pain then got up and pulled off his jacket and stuck him again. He denied most positively that he struck Pain whilst they were in the room, or until he had received two blows from him. They were not in the room for more than three or four minutes, and the table was between them.

Luke Amys, a coastguard pensioner, living in Gladstone-road, said he was at the bar of the "Oak and Ivy" in company of a man named Castle, when the defendant came in. Pain was in the tap-room, and called Dessent into him. The door was half open, and after the defendant had gone in he saw the two in there. After they had been in about five minutes Dessent came out again, and Pain followed him. Dessent said "If you have anything to say to me, I am working at the "Swan"; you are not in a fit state for me to talk to." pain said "Do you mean to say I am drunk?" Dessent replied "Well, you are not sober, Tom;" and with that Pain struck Dessent, and then the latter struck him and knocked him down. Witness was quite positive no blows were struck by either of the men in the room; if there had been he must have seen them. Pain did not have water to wash his face. Witness added that he knew neither of the men, and was no way interested in the case.

William Castle, the man referred to, fully corroborated the statement of the defendant and his witness.

The Magistrates, without retiring, said they were quite of opinion, from the evidence which they had heard, that Pain was really the aggressor, and the case would therefore be dismissed.



An outlet for Fremlins in 1974, Library archives 1974 and by 1992 passed into the hands of Whitbread.


From the East Kent Mercury, 6 September, 2001


There is more to running a pub than pulling pints as Derek and Christine Crittel have discovered. Since arriving at the "Oak and Ivy" in Blenheim Road, Deal, they have found themselves at the top of the tallest building in Ashford. But they didn't abseil alone, a team of regulars joined them [...]" The result was that Action Research were more than 323 richer.



CURLING Mr to Mar/1872

SHELVEY Daniel Mar/1872-1901 (age 54 in 1891Census) Deal Licensing Register beerhouse

THATCHER George 1901-29 Kelly's 1903Pikes 1908Post Office Directory 1913Deal library 1914Post Office Directory 1922

FRERE Tom 1929-38+ Post Office Directory 1938

OLIVER Frederick 1938-39 dec'd

OLIVER Andrea Mrs 1939-48 (age 42 in 1939)(remarried in 1939 to John H ADAMS)

OWENS Winifred 1956+

STOCK Alfred 1962

STOCK G R 1966

STOCK Albert A J 1974 Library archives 1974 Fremlins

BACON Frederick 1974+

ARNOLD John 1982+

ROGERS Arthur 1987+

STEWART Keith 1989

HOYLE John & SHILLETT Mary 1994+

CRITTEL Derek & Christine 2001+

Closed 2004


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Deal library 1914Deal Library List 1914

Pikes 1908From Pikes 1908

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Deal Licensing RegisterDeal Licensing Register


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-