DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton
Notes of 1844
 

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 30 March, 1844. Price 5d.

DOVER POLICE REPORT

James Etall was fined in the mitigated penalty of 12:10 for selling tobacco without a license.

I'm not sure whether he ran a pub, but there was a George Etall running the "Young prince of Wales" in the same year.

 

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 30 March, 1844. Price 5d.

CAUTION TO TRADESMEN

A few weeks back we published a caution to tradesmen, innkeepers, &c., against a person travelling about for the purpose of uttering forged cheques, and who had succeeded in defrauding (it has since been ascertained) several tradesmen and innkeepers in this county. There is some satisfaction in knowing that a person, who is suspected of being the same individual, is now likely to meet with the punishment he richly deserves. It appears by the publicised report, that on Saturday, the 2nd or 9th inst. He was at the "Castle Inn," Coventry, where he obtained 27 15s. in payment for a cheque that has since been ascertained to be forged. It appears that the innkeeper, after having cashed the cheque, had some reason to suspect all was not right, and got the inspector of police to take the party, as he was about leaving by coach. Upon the examination before the Magistrates, such evidence was produced as led to his committal to take his trial at Warwick assizes.

 

Kentish Gazette 09 July 1844.

Valuable Freehold Public Houses, at Sandwich, Worth, Deal, Sutton, Northbourne, and Great Mongeham, in the County of Kent.

To be sold by auction, at the "Three Horse Shoes," Great Mongeham, on Thursday the 25th day of July, 1844, (unless previously disposed of by Private Contract, of which due notice will be given), subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced, in several Lots.

A Freehold Public House, called the "King's Head," situate in Church Street, in the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Sandwich, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. James Langley.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Black Bear," situate in Harnett Street, in the said parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Sandwich, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. Peter Matthews.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Star," situate in Strand Street, in the said parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Sandwich, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. William Jordan.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Red Lion," situate in Strand Street, in the parish of Saint Peter the Apostle, Sandwich, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. George Stupple.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Globe," situate in Strand Street, in the parish of Saint Clement, Sandwich, with the outhouses yard and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. Joshua France.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Royal George," situate in Lower Street, in the parish of Deal, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mrs. Isabelle Noakes.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Hope," situate in Middle Street, in the said parish of Deal, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. James Cuthbert Roberts.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Crispin," situate in the parish of Worth, with the stable, outhouses, and appurtenance, thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. James Durban.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Star and Boot, situate in the parish of Sutton, next Dover, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. William Friend.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Hare and Hounds," situate in the parish of Northbourne, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. William Cannon Nethersole.

And Two Cottages, situate in the same parish, with the outhouses and appurtenances thereto respectively belonging, now in the respective occupations of Mr. Thomas Amos and Mr. Thomas Newing.

Also a Freehold Public House, called the "Three Horse Shoes situate In the parish of Great Mongeham, with the stable, outhouses, yard, garden, land, and appurtenances thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr. Shadrack Allen.

The above Property forms a most desirable investment, and (if not forthwith Sold by Private Contract), will be offered for sale in convenient Lots, as will be expressed in future advertisements.

For Particulars, and to treat for the Purchase by Private Contract, apply at the Offices of Mr Mourilyan, Solicitor, Sandwich.

 

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 7 September, 1844. Price 7d.

DOVER POLICE REPORT

Robert Mitten, jun., wheelwright, was fined 12s., including costs, for assaulting Charles Brushwood, publican. He paid the fine.

(At present I do not know which house the publican served.)

 

West Kent Guardian 7 September 1844.

LICENSING.

The general annual licensing day for the hundred of Blackheath and Little and Lessness in the county of Kent, was held at the Magistrates' Office, Grooms's-hill, Greenwich, September 4, 1844, before Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson, bart., chairman, and the following magistrates:— Sir Gregory Lewin, knt., Adam Young, Esq., John Thackery, Esq, Crowly Millington, Esq., Charles Harwoud, Esq., and Joshua Hargrave, Esq.

The parishes of St. Paul and St. Nicholas, Deptford, were first taken into consideration, and the licenses renewed for the ensuing year after a few trifling complaints of irregularity to the whole of the licensed victuallers of this populous district with one exception,—comprising 83 public houses and 18 beer shops.

The parish of Greenwich with 78 public houses followed. The whole of the licenses, with one exception, were renewed. This was a case in which the party had been convicted three times for selling during divine service on Sunday, and not appearing to the summons.—Transfer of license to be refused—37 beer shops in this parish.

Parishes of Lee and Lewisham, having 37 public houses with 22 beer shops. The licenses were all renewed in these parishes without any complaint against the conduct of the houses.

The parishes of Woolwich and Charlton, with 64 licensed houses, Eltham and Muttingham with 14 ditto. The respectivc landlords in these places had their renewals granted without complaint, and at the close were highly complimented by the chairman and bench generally for the very correct and proper manner in which their trade had been conducted during the past year.

APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSES BY BEER SHOP KEEPERS.

After the usual licensing of public houses had been disposed of, no less than thirty-four applications for victualling house licenses were presented; viz., six from Deptford, eight from Greenwich, four from Lewisham, and sixteen from Woolwich, as detailed in last week's Guardian.

This unusual number of applications may in a great degree be attributed to the increased population in the borough of Greenwich, and enlargement of the dockyards of Woolwich and Deptford, added to the vast increase of new buildings required by the public, desirous of a residence affording such frequent and cheap transit by land and water, from and to the metropolis.

These petitions will be taken into consideration at the adjourned Special Session to be held the last Saturday in September.

 

Kentish Gazette, 15 October 1844.

TO BUILDERS. "NEW INN," STABLING, AND COACH HOUSES, Near the WESTENHANGER and HYTHE STATION, on the SOUTH EASTERN RAILWAY.

PERSONS willing to TREAT for the ERECTION of the above, are requested to apply to Mr. George Cooper, Surveyor, Westgate, Canterbury, where Plans and Particulars may be seen.

The Stabling is required to be built and completed forthwith, and the remainder of the works prepared, so as to be fit for the completion of the building early in the ensuing spring.

Proposals to be sent to Mr. F. Neame, Hothe Court, Blean, on or before SATURDAY, the 26th instant.

October 10th, 1844.

 

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML