Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Notes of 1860 Maidstone Telegraph



From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 14 January,1860. Price 1d.


Chas Leney, of Wateringbury, was indicted for having assaulted his sister-in-law, Ann Leney, at Wateringbury, on the 5th September last. The bill was found by the grand Jury at the last sessions.

Mr. Addison said he was instructed for the prosecution in the case, but he was happy to say the court would not be troubled with it, as the parties, being relatives, had very wisely resolved to shake hands, and be friends again.

Mr. Hawkins, Q.C., (especially retained, and with whom was Mr. Bushell) said he could only rejoice that the matter should thus have terminated, and he trusted the reconciliation would be a permanent one.

A verdict of acquittal was then recorded, and the proceedings terminated.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 4 February, 1860. Price 1d.


Some astonishment exists in the neighbourhood at the refusal of the Coroner to hold an inquest on the body of a man, unknown, who was found dead in a field, neat Stone Street, Seal, on Friday morning last.

It appears that on the previous day the unfortunate man was in the town, and attracted some attention by carrying his boots under his arm and having an old blanket thrown across his shoulders. he went into a public-house in the town, and called for a pint of beer, of which he partook, but not having the money to pay for it, the landlord, who had been frequently served in a similar manner took his boots, intending, after a short detention, as a caution, to return them to him. before he could do this, however, the man had started. he afterwards was seen by Mr. Chappel, one of the guardians, who noticed a peculiarity in his manner, as did also other persons. From the appearance the body presented, the legs being covered with scratches, it was evident that the unfortunate man had taken off his trousers, and in that state had wandered about the fields and through the woods, till he had dropped from exhaustion, and so died, as no other marks were found on the body. Superintendent  Colman gave information of the facts to the coroner, who, however, declined to hold an inquest. The deceased is, apparently, about 55 years of age, with sandy hair, and was dressed in a blue overcoat, with figured vest, and wore a silver ring. There is not the slightest clue as to where he came from, but probably is that he had escaped from a lunatic asylum.

From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 11 February, 1860.


We mentioned in last week's publication, that three men, named Thomas Jackson, Richard Lee, and John Carr, had been buried alive by an immense slip of earth, at the Beakesbourne Hill cutting, and that although the bodies of them had been discovered, the workmen had been unable to remove them owing to the dangerous state of the soil, One of the bodies, was, however, soon got out, and in the course of Tuesday morning the other two were also extricated. Two of the men were found perfectly upright, and apparently uninjured externally, but the third man was discovered flat on the ground, with his head and face much bruised and damaged. the three bodies as they lay together, presented a sad spectacle, and were looked upon with mournful interest by the few spectators that were present. Fortunately all the deceased were single. Shortly after noon, on Tuesday, Thomas Thorpe Delasaux, Esq., coroner, held an inquest on the body of Thomas Jackson, at a beer-shop in the village of Beakesbourne. Mr. W. Gardiner was the foreman. The jury proceeded to the scene of the accident and viewed the body of Jackson. There was only one other body by his side, but while the inquiry was proceeding, the third body was got out and placed by the said of his comrades. The evidence having been taken, the jury returned a verdict "That the deceased was accidentally suffocated." The Coroner then went and vied the other bodies, and gave a certificate for their burial.


On the afternoon of Thursday between three and four o'clock, the remains of the unfortunate men were buried in the pleasantly situate churchyard of the village in which they met their untimely death. There was a numerous assemblage of spectators, considering the state of weather, flakes of snow occasionally falling, with a strong wind from the north-east.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 11 February, 1860.


Henry Wallis was charged with stealing a cask of ale, containing 4 gallons, value 8s., the property of Mr. Frederick Leney, brewer, Wateringbury, on the 23rd inst. It appeared for the evidence that the prisoner had stolen the cask from a dray, and alleged in his defence that he found the cask in the road.

Committed for trial at the sessions.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 25 February 1860. Price 1d.


On Sunday last, Mrs. Orpin, wife of James Orpin, beer-house keeper of this town, was going with her child, and infant of some seven months old, when the child commenced crying and continued to do so after they arrived at their destination, and it was found necessary to procure medical assistance. But before the arrival of the surgeon the child was dead. The mother states that the infant was in good health and excellent spirits when first brought out, but it is supposed that a piercing wind, which was blowing at the time, had some effect in causing death.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 3 March, 1860. Price 1d.


Henry Augustus, hair dresser and beer seller, St. Peter's Street, for having, on Sunday, the 19th inst., opened his house for the sale of beer, shortly after eleven o'clock in the forenoon.

Police-constable Brooks, said on the morning of the 19th Feb., he went to the house of the defendant about ten minutes after eleven. He knocked at the front door, and Augustus (the defendant) opened it. He asked if the house was clear, and defendant said “It's all right, I believe.” He entered and saw men sitting. He made three men get up, and he found under their seats two quarts and one pint pot, each containing a small quantity of beer. He also saw where beer as he supposed, had been slopped over the floor. He asked defendant what he meant by having men there drinking on a Sunday morning, and defendant said “There's no beer about.” Defendant was shaving a man at the time, there being a partition dividing the room. There was a side door to the house where the beer was kept.

Defendant pleaded not guilty, and called two witnesses, who said they were at the house when the policeman called, and no beer was drawn in their presence, nor was there any beer in the pots that Brooks found. Some portions of their evidence was very contradictory, and defendant, who had been cautioned before, was fined 10s., and costs.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 3 March, 1860. Price 1d.


The second public meeting for the purpose of furthering the formation of this corps, the appointment of officers, &c., was held at the “Crown Hotel,” on Wednesday the 22nd inst. Earl Amhurst presided, and there were also present, Col. Northey, W. Lambarde, C. R. C. Petley, J. Rogers (magistrates of the division), and M. Lambarde, P. Nouaille, R. Witmore, Esqrs., and a large number of the effectives of the corps.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 10 March, 1860. Price 1d.


William Scott, a sailor, was charged with stabbing William Forsythe, at Minster, Sheppey, on the 29th of February.

Mr. Russell prosecuted.

It appeared by the evidence, that prosecutor and prisoner were sailors in a ship named the majestic Guy, lying of Sheerness. The prisoner entered a public-house where the prisoner was sitting, and without being asked drank a portion of his beer. A fight ensued in which the prisoner drew his knife and stabbed the prosecutor in the thigh, inflicting a wound two inches in length. The knife was taken away from him by another seaman.

Four months' hard labour.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 17 March, 1860. Price 1d.


A very pleasantly situated Road Side Inn, doing a good trade, at a moderate rent. Incoming less than 100. Further particulars by applying to Mr. F. F. Cobb, Earl Street, Maidstone.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 17 March, 1860. Price 1d.


As John Oben, a labourer in the employ of Mr. J. Lee, was proceeding to Chatham, with a load of beer from Mr. Jude's, on coming near Strood gate he was getting down to put the skid on, when he stepped on to a rolling stone, whereby he was thrown down, and the wheel passed over and broke both his legs. He was taken home on the same night, after receiving surgical assistance at Strood, and he is now going on favourably.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 24 March, 1860. Price 1d.


On Thursday morning, Mr. J. Wells, the landlord of the “Dorset Arms” public-house was found dead in his bed. It appeared that the deceased went to bed on the previous night apparently in good health, with the exception of a slight cold, and in the morning Mrs. Wells, who arose about 7 o'clock, not receiving an answer on speaking to her husband, became alarmed, and called in assistance, when the sad truth was discovered. The circumstance being explained to the coroner, an inquest was not thought necessary.