Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Notes of 1927


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 7 January, 1927. Price 1d.


The Chairman announced that the bench had fixed February 3rd as the date of the annual general licensing meeting, adjourned to Dover on February 17th, and to Wingham on March 3rd.


The license of the “Five Bells,” Eastry, was granted an extension from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. on January 10th, for the general meeting and smoking concert of the British Legion.

The “Red Lion,” Wingham, from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. for January 19th, for a dinner and concert of the Dart Club.

The “Wheatsheaf,” Ash, was granted an extension from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. for the annual dinner of the Slate Club on January 18th.
The “Bell,” Lydden, from 2.30 to 5 p.m. on January 12th for a sale of agricultural implements, etc.


Sarah Elizabeth Young Davies, of the “White Horse,” public house, Eythorne, was summoned for selling a quarter of gin to the prejudice of the purchaser. It was 39.45 degrees under proof, genuine gin being not more than 35 degrees under proof.

Superintendent Lane, Sandwich, said: At 1.50 p.m. on November 1st, I visited the “White Horse” and purchased a quartern of gin, which was supplied to me by Mrs. Davies, and for which I paid 2s. 6d. The gin was supplied from two bottles, the bottom portion of one and the top portion of the new bottle. I told Mrs. Davies that the purchase was for the purpose of analysis. I divided it into three portions and handed one to Mrs. Davies. She said, “I hope it is all right, we don't sell much gin lately and that bottle has been on tap for some time.” A sample was sent to the County Analyst the following day, and on November 25th a certificate was received showing the sample 39.45 degrees under proof.

Cross-examined by Mr. A. K. Mowll. Defendant had been in the house for 14 or 15 years and in another licensed house before that. She was a widow, and her husband had been in the Navy, and had been on service during the war. There had been no complaints against her. The house had been well conducted; it was a somewhat difficult house to manage in these days, and her character was irreproachable.

Mr. A. K. Mowll said he had pleaded not guilty, but not because he disputed the facts. There was a small sale for gin and this gin had been “on tap” for some time. Unfortunately the cork came out, and from the defendant's remark, “I hope it's all right,” one could see she had her doubts about it because it was old. Unfortunately for the defendant, spirits evaporated more than water, and what probably happened was that this particular sample in the old bottle evaporated, and so diluted it a little more than was allowed under the Act. This woman had a character which could not be surpassed as far as a licensed victualler was concerned, and he asked, if they thought under the circumstances, that a technical offence had been created, that they would dismiss the case on payment of costs.

Lord Fitzwalter said that the Bench taking into considerations the excellent character of the defendant, would dismiss the case on payment of costs. They hoped it would be a warning to her to be more careful in future.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 14 January, 1927. Price 1d.


The beer, wine and spirits off-licence , Market Lane, was transferred from Mr. A. R. O. Wilberforce, Secretary of the Navy, Army and Air Force Institute, to Mr. J. Byford, The Secretary Winchmore Hill, merchant.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 11 February, 1927. Price 1d.


At the Sandwich Licensing Sessions on Monday, the Magistrates considered the question of renewing the licence of the “Sir Colin Campbell,” Walmer, whose licensee, Mr. F. S. Adams, had been convicted of serving during prohibited hours. It was stated that the owners of the house had given the licensee three months' notice, and that the police objected to the tenant, and not the house. The Bench granted the renewal subject to this being carried out.

The licensees otherwise were renewed.


Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, Friday 18 March 1927.


Mr. Harries appeared on behalf of the Licensed Victuallers' Association in an application for a variation of the permitted hours, and stated that there would he no extension whatever of the permitted hours. He wished to emphasise that, as he was given to understand there was a misapprehension on that point. What his clients were asking for was that during the period of Summer Time (with the exception of Sundays) the hours should be 6.30 to 10.30 instead of 6 to 10. If the Magistrates were advised that to conform with the law the opening hour must he 6 p.m. his clients would give a definite undertaking that no intoxicating liquor would be sold before 6.30 p.m.

The Chairman asked what support the application had from the licensees.

Mr. Alfred William Pattenden, Secretary of the Sevenoaks and District Licenced Victuallers’ Assocition said the membership of the Association was 50. This proposition had been brought forward at the annual meeting, and it was unanimously agreed that the application be made. There were 16 members present at the meeting. He had heard of no opposition from any of the members.

By Mr. John A. Whyte (Kent County Temperance Federation):- The decision had not been officially communicated to absent members.

Mr. Cordy (Messers. Page) opposed the application, and said that although a member of the Association he had heard nothing of the matter until it was mentioned in Court that morning.

The Rev. R. Newell objected, and said the application really meant half an hour longer into the night.

Mr. Harries said there was not the slightest foundation for such a statement, and he indignantly protested.

Mr. Newell said he spoke on behalf of a deputation of clergy and ministers, and for members of their Churches, and they respectfully, but earnestly appealed in the Bench not to make this change. There were no special requirements in this district necessitating such a change. The present day tendency was for the earlier closing of business premises, and in the interests of health and general convenience this should be encouraged, there was no public demand for this change. He had signatures of members of the Congregational Church, the Parish Church, the Wesleyan Church and the Baptist Church, numbering 338, against this proposal. Other Church bodies in the villages had sent resolutions against the change.

Mr. Harries contended that the wording of the petitions was against an "extension of hours," which they were not asking for, and he protested against what he alleged were misleading petitions.

The Rev. W. E. Gilliat (Rector of Seven-oaks) said the only extension referred to at the Parish Church was "from 10 p.m. to 10.30 p.m."

The Magistrates retired to consider their decision, and on their return Major Pym said they were unwilling to grant this variation of hours. They had only had 16 out of a possible 97 licensees mentioned. In towns the extension might be useful, but when they came to country districts it must curtail the hours of sleep and to a greater degree shorten the night, and it was not desirable that working men should be deprived of any of their sleep. Of the four neighbourhood districts, Tonbridge was the only one which had this alteration of hours. Before a question of this kind was discussed another year he thought it would be well if the different Benches could confer, so that if any alterations were made there should be some agreement.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 25 March, 1927. Price 1d.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Dr. C. Wood, Alderman C. J. Sellens and Mr. W. J. Palmer.

Frederick Perkins, a baker, was charged with having been drunk and disorderly in Biggin Street.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

P.C. Keeler said that at 10.40 p.m. on Saturday, he was on Worthington Street point duty when he saw the defendant outside the “King's Hall,” having an argument with another man, and causing a crowd to collect. Witness went there and found the defendant was drunk, and advised both men to go away. The other man went with friends, but the prisoner took no notice. Defendant shouted at the other man as he was going away, “You are a dirty rotten tyke.” He pulled his coat off and tried to pass witness to get at the other man. He again refused to go away, so witness took him into custody.

Prisoner said that he was not given the chance to go away. He would have broken the argument off if he had been.

The Chairman: This is your first offence, and we are only going to fine you 5s. The Magistrates feel distressed at the number of cases of drunkenness appearing before them, and if it continues they will increase the penalty. If you come here again you will not be so lightly dealt with.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 1 April, 1927. Price 1d.


Mr. Thorn Drury, on behalf of Mr. John Bramley, made an application for confirmation of the off beer license granted temporarily to him at Leamington Road, Westgate. This was the fifth yearly application Mr. Bramley had made.

The Magistrates were some time considering the matter, and refused the application.

Mr. Robinson applied for the confirmation of the temporary license granted to Mr. Thorne, of the "Links Hotel," St. Peters, to serve alcoholic refreshment with meals. This was the second application.

The application was granted by the Magistrates on the condition that intoxicants were served to resident guests only.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 15 April, 1927. Price 1d.


For music, singing and dancing the "Pavillion," West Cliff Avenue, Broadstairs, was transferred from Lilian West to Robert Dennant, 23, Queen's Road, Broadstairs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 19 August, 1927. Price 1d.


Wine (on licence), 58 and 60, High Street, Broadstairs, was transferred from Charlotte Derry to Alice Maud Dine, cafe proprietor.