DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Margate, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 18 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1498

Crown and Sceptre

Latest 1962

(Name to)

Chapel Hill

Northdown

Margate

Crown and Sceptre 1930s

Above photo, 1930s, kindly sent by Michael Mirams.

Crown and Sceptre

Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Philip Page.

Crown and Sceptre

Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Philip Page.

 

The "Crown and Sceptre," became the "Orb" in 1962 on the whim of a member of the Tomson & Wotton Brewery, who then owned the pub. It was originally a tiny flint cottage with its own well, re-discovered in recent years. The old pub housed a forge, whose anvil rest could still be seen in 1987, and may have had connections with a medieval chapel which gave its name to Chapel Hill on which the "Orb" stands.

 

The passage below was compiled by licensee Mick Minter.

ORB.

Was built during the reign of Henry VII in the year 1498.

Records suggest that when first built the property much smaller than the present day edifice, was a farm dwelling. Evidence of owners or occupiers of this period are extinct since the parish registers of Margate do not begin for over half a century to follow in 1549, however evidence of a license dating from 1521, does exist. It tells us that in that year one Isaiha Cadde called a yeoman was granted a license under the "act of the 10 of Henry VII (1495) to sell ale from his tenement or messuage on Chapel Hill called a tavern with a bushe only." From this document it was possible to trace an earlier owner of the property, Isaiha's Cadd's father Gaynor, who on the "ffowerth day of October severnteenff yere of Henry VII" (1502) made a "feossment" (convenance) of the late John Caddy of a tenement luina on Chanel Hill. It is reasonable to assume that this was the same property and that Isaiha Cadde turned his fathers farmhouse into a tavern.

In 1549, Isaiha Cadde is still recorded here as an "ayle-house keper" but in 1562 it was his son Henry to whom that description had fallen and he was keeper of the "Crown" on Chapel Hill. This was the first reference to the "Orb's" previous title, the word Sceptre was added some years later, but the title changed intermittently over the years from the "Crown" to the "Crown and Sceptre" and back to the "Crown," though this may have been the fault of the recorder.

It is not until 1624 that the inn is mentioned again. In that year Henry Bulmer and Avery Jenkinson, both held a licence for the house, both are recorded as brewers at the "Crown and Sceptre." Bulmer who sold the house and its licence in that year to Jenkinson was probably here for some considerable time as was the latter who was allowed to keep two taverns, the "Crown and Sceptre" on Chapel Hill and the "Prospect" on Dane Hill. From this point the inns owners and or keepers are clearly documented to the 20th century.

Avery Jenkinson, who was one of the inns longest serving keepers throughout time, died in 1658 and bequeathed the house to his widow Naomi who served here for a further nine years until her own death in 1667. She passed the property to her daughter Rachell, however she had temporary benefit from her bequest since she died within one week of her mother and was buried alongside her parents in the churchyard of St. Johns.

At this point and for six years to follow the inn was held by James Huntington attorney-at-law of Centerbury who acted as trustee and executor of the estates of Naomi and Rachel Jenkinson.

There 1668 Richard May, 1668-1669, William Suarrow 1669, John brooke 1669-1670, Ellisha Rowe. 1670-1672 James Adams and 1672-1673 Richard Mummery.

In 1673, the latter purchased the house from Huntington and went on to keep it until his death in 1701, where after it passed to his nephew Richard Salter. In a title drawn up for the transaction a concession was written in allowing one Garton Carthew to draw water from the well of Richard Salter at his hospicum called the "Crown and Sceptre."

By 1721, the house had been granted a wine license for in that year Salter sold it and the inn to Jacob Womersley, however by the time he sold the inn in 1738 the licence had reverted to the sale of ale and cider only, both of which mere being brewed here at the time, for a brew house and a forge is mentioned in an inventory of that year when the "Crown and Sceptre" was purchased by Henry Dixon, a fellmonger and leathercutter of Garlinge.

Henry Dixon bettered Avery Jenkinson's record of 34 years as keeper of the "Crown & Sceptre" by two years. When he died in 1774 he had served here for 36 years and became the longest serving keeper of the inn to date, throughout all of which he managed to conduct his original trade as well as keep the inn.

Dixon's widow Maria served here for two years after her husbands death, but in 1776 sold the house as the "Crown" to Thomas Hunter, a brewer and maltster of Margate. He installed the first tenant into the house one Richard Simcock and probably at this point carried out the first of many alterations and additions to the property.

Richard Simcock was a draper by trade, a trade which he carried on whilst keeping the house. He died here in 1786 where after his son William took over the house and served here until 1792. When he left he became a draper and tailor of Duke Street, Margate where he remained for many years.

In October 1792 Thomas Hunter leased the "Crown and Sceptre" to Samuel Howe, who served here until 1819 when he was succeeded by William Philpott and he in 1831 by Philip Stratford, who kept the house until his death in 1841 whereafter his son John took over.

In 1842 William Hunter brewer sold out to Henry Bishop and in that year John Stratford obtained a wine and spirit license for the house. Stratford kept the house until 1862 in that year the Bishop Brewery closed down. The "Crown and Sceptre" was put on the market as a Free House and was purchased by George Price. It remained in his hands hands and that of his family until well into the first half of the twentieth century.

When George Price died in 1889 his widow Maria took over until her death in 1905. Her son James then took over till 1932. In that year the house was purchased by the Tomson and Wotton brewery of Ramsgate. Their first tenant was George A Bushell who was here for many years to follow.

In 1962 after major refurbishments the name of the house was changed to the "Orb".

In 1968 Combined Brewery holdings was taken over by the Whitbread brewery and they in 1973 exchanged some of their licensed houses including the "Orb" with the Shepherd Neame Brewery of Faversham, who are the present owners of the house which is kept today by Michael Alexander Minter. In 1994 Weston Lilrig and Morit Gooding Landlords. In 1998 Dennis and May McGrellis became landlords.
 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 11 May, 1861.

MARGATE PETTY SESSIONS. WEDNESDAY.

George Brown Martin, the landlord of the “Crown and Sceptre” public house, was charged with having his house open for the sale of beer, &c. on Sunday, the 28lh ult., during the prohibited hours.

From the evidence of Sergeant Mayhew, K.C.C.. it appeared that he visited the defendant’s house on the above named day, and found eight or nine persons there drinking, and some smoking. Two quart jugs were on the table, one more than half full, the other with a little beer in it. and three glasses full were also there.

The defendant did not answer to his name when called but at 20 minutes past twelve he came into court.

The sergeant also stated that the room he went into was claimed by another person, named West, but it was connected with the house by two half glass doors; that he went into the bar and saw froth on the bar.

Instructing-constable Barker, K.C.C., 18, said there had been numerous complaints against the house, but they were unable to catch the defendant.

Superintendent Stokes, K.C.C., said the house had been notorious for being badly conducted. On the 3rd of December last a report was made against the house, and laid before Captain Ruxton, who instructed him (the superintendent) to give the defendant a caution, which he did, and he promised to conduct it better, but he had gone on worse.

A man named West, was called, who said the premises were occupied by him at 2s. per week, and that he gave the men the beer.

The Bench said the defendants situation, as labourer, must be good to enable him to give beer away after this fashion. They were of opinion that they must convict in the case, as letting a house in that way could not be recognised by them. They fined him 50s., and 10s. 6d. costs, in default three months imprisonment.

They also wished Superintendent Stokes to give his men instructions to obtain the names of the persons found drinking in the house, that they might be summoned.

 

LICENSEE LIST

CADDE Gaynor 1502+

CADDE Isaiha (son) 1521-49+

CADDE Henry (son of above) 1562+

BULMER Henry to 1624

JENKINSON Avery 1624-58 dec'd

JENKINSON Naomi (wife) 1658-67 dec'd

JENKINSON Rachel (daughter) 1667 dec'd

HUNTINGTON James 1667-73

MAY Richard 1668-69

SPARROW William 1669

BROOKE John 1669-70

ROWE Ellisha 1670-72

ADAMS James 1672-1673

MUMMERY Richard 1673-1701

SALTER Richard (nephew) 1701-21

WOMERSLEY Jacob 1721+

DIXON Henry 1738-74 dec'd

DIXON Maria (widow) 1774-76

HUNTER Thomas 1776+ (owner)

SIMCOCK Richard 1776-86 dec'd

SIMCOCK William (son) 1786-92

HOWE Samuel 1792-1819

PHILPOTT William 1819-31

STRATFORD Philip 1831-41 dec'd

STRATFORD John (son) 1839-51+ (age 30 in 1841Census) Williams Directory 1849

MARTIN George Brown 1861+ (age 25 in 1861Census)

STRATFORD Sophia 1871+ (age 68 in 1871Census)?

PRICE George 1862-89 (age 45 in 1881Census)

PRICE Maria 1889-1905 dec'd (widow age 61 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1903

PRICE James (son) 1905-32

BUSHELL G A 1932-38+

KNIGHT Ernest A 1939+ (age 64 in 1939)

https://pubwiki.co.uk/CrownSceptre.shtml

 

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

Williams Directory 1849From Isle of Thanet Williams Directory 1849

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML