DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Margate, August, 2021.

Page Updated:- Friday, 06 August, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1700s

George Inn

Latest 1968

(Name to)

44 King Street (44 Hawley Street)

Margate

George Hotel

Above photo, date unknown.

George Hotel

Above photo, date unknown.

Butchers' outing at the George Inn 1913

Above photo showing a Butcher's Outing, 18 May 1913.

George Hotel 1953

Above photos 1953.

George Hotel

Above photo, date unknown, by the Margate History Society.

George Hotel

Above photo, date unknown kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

George Hotel

Above photo taken with permission from Saunders family web.

O S Map 1873

Above map, date unknown.

George Hotel 2012

Above photo, 2012, kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

George windows 2016

Above windows, circa 2016, by Darkstar.

George Hotel 2000

Above photo circa 2000.

Former George Hotel 2018

Above Google image 2018.

 

The George Inn, was adjacent to the Tudor House and situated opposite Love Lane and King Street. In 1943 the King Street part was destroyed when a bomb hit the Holy Trinity Church. However a few of the original Cobb's Ale leaded windows managed to be saved.

Prior to 1833 the pub was owned by the Symond's Brewery of Ramsgate, but they sold the business and pub to Francis Cobb and Son, brewer also in Ramsgate that same year.

One of Margate's Oldest pubs this was once a coaching inn and the livery stables which were next door to the "George Inn" became Swinford's Yard in the mid 1800's and then Reeves Mineral Water Factory. Parts of the stables were still standing till 2011 when new mews cottages were built on the site. These reached from the back of the "George" to the entrance of the College Centre, the site of Bloxhams Green. The green, was later the site of Margate College and the area named after George Bloxham, who also ran the "George" pub in the late 1700's.

George IV is portrayed in full Coronation robes on the wall of the "George Hotel." The building suffered some damage in WW2 from the same bombs that destroyed nearby Holy Trinity Church.

Further damage was sustained in the 1953 Storm, the "George Inn" being flooded, and the water measured about 5 feet high inside the building.

One time Cobbs tied house. Cobbs were founded in 1673, but Whitbread took them over early 1968 and typically closed the brewery, (well who wants the competition, buy them out and shut them down) the pub closed around about the same time.

In 2006 the further damage occurred from an arson attack, and was later refurbished and turned into an Indian Restaurant which it is operating as today. (2016).

On 6th December 2019 it reopened as a public house again, this time with the new name of the "George and Heart."

 

From the Kentish Gazette, Friday 17 August, 1798.

GEORGE INN, MARGATE.

Michael Mascall returns his best thanks to his friends and the public for the great encouragement he has already experienced in the above house; and, for their better accommodation, has taken a private Stable-Farm in King Street, opposite the "George Inn;" in which are good stables, with stalls and other conveniences.

M. Mascall begs to add, that he has no connection whatever with the livery stables of Mr. Samuel Bloxham adjoining to the "George Inn;" but that there is a free passage through Mr. Bloxham's stable-yard to and from the "George Inn;"- would therefore be obliged to his friends to ride up to the "George Inn" door.

 

South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 15 November 1859.

DEATHS.

On the 9th inst., at the "George Inn," Margate, Elizabeth, widow of the late William Read, in her 75th year.

 

LICENSEE LIST

BLOXHAM George 1700s

BLOXHAM Samuel 1774+ Kentish Gazette

MASCALL Michael Apr/1798+

SACKETT P 1792+

READ James 1823-26+

READ Thomas 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

READ Suzannah 1832-41+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

WILKINSON Richard Woodhead 1847-51+ (age 51 in 1851Census) Williams Directory 1849

FREE Charlotte E Miss 1858+

READ William 1862-74+

EMPTAGE Stephen John 1881-91+ (age 44 in 1881Census)

EMPTAGE Mary 1901+ (age 61 in 1901Census)

EMPTAGE Frank Orlando 1903+ Kelly's 1903

OSBORNE Annie Mrs 1913-22+

NASH Edwin Charles 1930+

GILBERT Alex 1938+

DAVID Jack 1955+ Next pub licensee had

CHAPMAN Norman 1962-Apr/65 Next pub licensee had

https://pubwiki.co.uk/George.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/george.html

 

Kentish GazetteKentish Gazette

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

Williams Directory 1849From Isle of Thanet Williams Directory 1849

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML