DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1843-

Jolly Sailor

Closed 2009+

142 Joy Lane

Seagram

Seasalter

https://whatpub.com/jolly-sailor

Jolly Sailor after 1904

Above postcard after Sept 1903. Kindly sent by Stuart Axford.

Jolly Sailor after 1923

Above postcard after 1923. Kindly sent by Stuart Axford.

Above photo 2007 by Pam Fray, Creative Commons Licence.

Jolly Sailor 2010

Above photo 2010 by Chris Whippet, Creative Commons Licence.

Former Jolly Sailor

Above photo, date unknown by Darkstar.

Jolly Sailor sign 1986

Above sign, April 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 2 November, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.

ST. AUGUSTINE’S PETTY SESSIONS.

Richard Friend, the landlord of a beer-house in Seasalter applied to the bench for permission to keep his house open an hour beyond the time specified in his license, on Saturday evening.

In reply to a question from the bench the policeman stationed at Seasalter said the house was very badly conducted. On hearing this the Bench refused to grant the application.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 13 February, 1864.

OFFENCE AGAINST THE BEERHOUSE ACT.

Saturday last Edward Jackson, landlord of the “Jolly Sailor” beer-house, Whitstable, was summoned to answer a charge of having kept his house open for the sale of liquors during prohibited hours on the Sabbath. The defendant did not appear.

P.C. Bates stated that he entered the defendant's house at twelve o'clock the morning of Sunday, and found several persons drinking therein. He had previously had occasion to caution the defendant on the same matter.

Fined 10s. costs 9s.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 12 March, 1864.

ST. AUGUSTINE’S PETTY SESSIONS. BEERHOUSE OFFENCE.

A man named Knowler was charged with refusing to admit Police Instructor Bates into the “Jolly Sailor” beer-house, at Whitstable, at 25 minutes past 4 o'clock p.m. on Sunday, the 21st. ultimo. A man named Edward Jackson is licensed to keep the beer-house, but about three weeks ago he was fined for having people drinking in his house on a Sunday morning. He absconded, and his sister, who advanced him the money to open the house, afterwards put the defendant Knowler in to carry on the business.

Bates, the constable, said that on the day in question he went to the beer-house and knocked at the door, which was closed. He heard people talking in the house, and directly the defendant looked out of the window from behind the blind. He then heard people being let out of the house by the back door, and after being kept waiting fully four minutes he was admitted. When he got into the house there were four men there, one of whom swore at him and said he would “pull his nose out of his face if he reported the case.” The men had nothing to drink when he saw them. The magistrates fined the defendant 1 and 10s. costs.

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. Saturday 17 November 1877.

HEAVY GALE.

A great deal of wind and rain prevailed here from Saturday night till Monday morning but the gale was felt most on Sunday night.

Many persons were much alarmed, and several experience disastrous effects.

A chimney was blown through the roof of the "Jolly Sailor Inn," Seasalter, kept by Mr Friend.

 

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 19 September 1914.

A SEASALTER INN THAT ENJOYS EXCEPTIONAL PRIVILEGE.

At the St. Augustine's Petty Sessions at Canterbury on Saturday, application was made for the transfer of the licence of the Jolly Sailor, Seagram., from Mr. J. F. W. Hossbach to Mr. H. H. Harris. In the course of the application the Chairman (Mr. F. H. Wilbee) asked the out-going tenant at what hour at night he was now closing, and Mr. Hossbach replied that his hours were 11 p.m. on week days and 10 p.m. on Sundays. Asked how this was so, neither the Superintendent nor Sergeant Thomas could explain beyond the fact that it was a matter of some arrangement of long standing. The Superintendent said he would enquire into the matter.

The Chairman: Perhaps you will tell us about that and one other house in the same district. In regard to the transfer applied for this had to be adjourned for a week as the incoming tenant had omitted to bring any references with him.

 

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 24 October 1936.

The death occurred at Epping on Saturday of Mr. Charles Coppins, of Sea View Cottage, Borstal Hill, Whitstable, at the age of 73 years. Mr. Coppins, who leaves a widow, four sons and two daughters, was a native of the town, and at one time was the licensee of the "Jolly Sailor," Joy Lane. The funeral is taking place at Whitstable Cemetery this (Friday) afternoon at 3 o'clock.

 

From an article written by Stuart Axford.

A deed dated 1730 records a field of just over an acre on this site as part of a farm at “Bostal Green” owned by Captain Richard Clement. This was purchased by William Court in 1809, and he built a cottage and stable on the site.

By 1843 the property was known as the "Jolly Sailor," even though Court’s occupation is listed as a gardener rather than a beer house keeper. Nonetheless, it seems likely that he took advantage of the Beer House Act of 1830 which would have entitled him to sell ales, stout and cider from the property.

Presumably, given how remote the site was at this time, his target market was the men stationed at the nearby Seasalter Battery.

Interestingly, William Court’s son James Wyatt Court, who was born at the house in 1843, was to become Whitstable’s first aerated water manufacturer, and would later build the family soft drinks business of J. W. Court & Son in Deal, which would endure until 1927.

The land was subsequently sold to a Francis Seaman, and on 21st February, 1877, the freehold of “a beerhouse, situate on the road leading from Hernhill to Whitstable, and known as the "Jolly Sailor," with stable, barn, and other buildings, and 14 acres of arable land” was one of the lots submitted to public competition at the "Ship Hotel" in Faversham by a Mr. S. Walker of London. It was sold for 1,400 to Mr. Arthur Curling, although the building seems to have remained unoccupied for some time. The census of 1881 lists the building as unoccupied, while that of 1891 does not list the building at all.

Mr. A. Curling, of Lamberts Land Farm, was still the owner of the "Jolly Sailor" in May 1882, when the pub became the source of some debate with the Blean Highway Board. The Board required Curling “to cut away the brickwork at the corner of the building to the extent of three inches, and to place in the drain adjoining the house two pipes with a brick heading”. It was this act which gave the pub the distinctive, shaved off corner appearance which it still has today.

The Jolly Sailor pub itself was subsequently advertised as to let (available at once, contact A. T. Curling, Yorkletts) in the Whitstable Times of 11th October 1890, while the same edition advertised for sale “14 Acres of growing clover, on land adjoining the “Jolly Sailor,” in the parish of Seasalter, in lots of half-an-acre each, By order of the Executors of Mr. William Frostick, Deceased.” This suggests that at some point after the sale in 1877 the beerhouse was separated from its 14 acres of land.

In 1898, the pub was sold to Flint & Co. of Canterbury who extended the building some time after 1903. It was later acquired by Fremlins, who were acquired by Whitbreads in 1967. Herbert Harris was the landlord from 1914 for 36 years, through two world wars, and was succeeded on his death in 1950 by his widow Lily.

The pub closed in 2009 and was converted into a private house, with a second private house since having been built on the site of the car park and beer garden.

 

Supplied by Flint and Sons, who changed their name to Flint and Co. Ltd, in September of 1903.

Alfred Leney of Dover bought the brewery in 1923.

I am informed that the pub used to play Bat and Trap.

In the 1970s it was serving Whitbread beer.

As of 1987, the sign depicted a true British tar on its sign, dressed in the uniform of Nelson's time.

Serving till at least 2009, I believe the pub is now closed and is a private residence.

 

LICENSEE LIST

COURT William 1843-51+ (also gardener age 67 in 1851Census)

ROGERS John 1858+

FRIEND Richard 1861-77+ (also Fisherman age 38 & Shell Fish Merchant in 1861Census Farmer in 1871Census)

Unoccupied 1881

COPPINGS William 1881+ (also shepherd age 49 in 1881Census)

COPPINGS Charles 1894-1901+ (also farm labourer age 37 in 1901Census)

SYDENHAM Thomas 1903+

SHRUBSOLE George 1907

HOSSBACH John Frederick Wilkinson 1907-Sept/14 (age 64 in 1911Census)

HARRIS Herbert H Mr Sept/1914-Jan/50+ Kelly's 1924

HARRIS Lily E (widow) Jan/1950+

PRICE Ray & Pom 1970s-90s Next pub licensee had

COOPER Gordon & DALE Jenny after 1995+ (also of "Coach and Horses")

NUDGE ???? till end.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/JollySailor.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/jollysailor.html

 

CensusCensus

Kelly's 1924From the Kelly's Directory 1924

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML