Page Updated:- Thursday, 08 July, 2021.


April 2012

(Name from)

Old Mill

Open 2020+

Mill Lane/Canterbury Road


01233 661000

Above photo, date unknown.

Photos taken in 18 July, 2012 from by John Law.

Old Mill artist impression 2012

An artist's impression from 2010 shows plans for The Old Mill, which came to fruition in 2012.


Originally called the "Golden Ball." The pub was sold to Shepherd Neame and went under some substantial renovation in July 2011 and  and reopened as this in April 2012.


Information below taken from their web site 2014.

In the early 1900's, the pub was popular with hop pickers – there were several hop gardens in the nearby area. It also had its own Tug of War and Goal Running Club teams. Goal running was a sport peculiar to East Kent & the Weald, which became popular in the late 19th century and had it's heyday in the early 20th century – it was essentially an organised version of the game ‘tag', with teams of ten who played barefoot!

Mill Lane, which runs alongside the pub, used to be home to Kennington Mills, which were powered by steam, wind and water (from Kennington Stream). The windmill was built in 1813 by Messrs. Hill, the Ashford millwrights.

From 1886 to 1892 the mills were worked by Mr Henry Sturgess Pledge. He later went on to found the flour milling firm of H.S. Pledge & Sons Ltd, consisting of Victoria Flour Mills & East Hill Mill in Ashford. Victoria Flour Mills were working up until 1984 when they were gutted by fire and sadly had to be demolished. East Hill Mill still stands but is now a nightclub.

The Kennington Mills were taken over in 1892 by Mr Charles Stanley from Blean, who became the last miller to work them. After the mills closed, the sails from the windmill were taken to Pluckley windmill. Now all that remains is the base of the windmill and the Mill House, the mill pond also having gone a long while ago.

In remembrance of the Kennington Mills, we renamed the pub The "Old Mill," and hope you will join us in continuing the history.



HUMPHRIES John 2017+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-