|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
The Sandwich Borough Records shows Licensed Victuallers who paid for new Inn signs, 6s. 8d, and Sureties of £5 on 12th September, 1662. This public house was one of those in the list.
June 12th 1663 Archbishop of Canterbury to Jeremy Johnson of Deal District and Margaret, his wife. Surrender the former lease to Vincent Denn of Deal, mariner dated 10th May 1665 & 40s.
Tenement or dwelling house in Lower Deal abutting to the Middle Street, East, to lands disused to David Martin, West, to buildings disused to Nicholas Eaton, called the "Red Cross" north, and to buildings disused to William Biotney, south, and now in tenant of Jeremy Johnsons. For 21 years at 2s. a year.
3rd November 1663, for 2 years at 9s.
Gilbert, Archbishop of Canterbury, to John Poole a Deal merchant 2 messuages called the "Flying Horse" and the "Red Cross" in Lower Deal in tenures of John Poole and Margaret Powell, widow for £9.
JOHNSON Jeremy 1663-
POOLE John 1663+ (Flying Horse?)
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-