Sort file:- Deal, May, 2021.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 20 May, 2021.


Earliest 1898

South Eastern Hotel

Latest 1945+

(Name to)

Prince of Wales Terrace

Victoria Parade Kelly's 1899


South Eastern Hotel, 1906

Pen and ink drawing by A. J. Sylvester 1906. Kindly sent by David Underwood.

Sout Eastern Hotel, Deal, 1908.

Above picture kindly supplied by Sue Solley, 1908.

Queen's Hotel

Above postcard, date unknown, supplied by Christine Eyden.

Queen's Hotel circa 1909

Above shows similar shot from a postcard circa 1909.

Tank delivery 2 August 1919

Tank 4613 delivery 2 August 1919.

South Eastern Hotel, date after 1920

South Eastern Hotel, date after 1920.

South Eastern Hotel advert 1900

Above advert circa 1900.


You Tube Talk by Sharon Powell:-


Renamed the "Queen's Hotel" just after the second world war, possibly after Queen Victoria, in whose reign it was built.


From the Mercury, 16 September, 1999.

By David G Collyer.

South Eastern Hotel, Deal

The "South Eastern Hotel" was built to cash in on the expected upsurge in holiday traffic after The South Eastern Railway Company line was extended to Dover. It survived until the 1980s to be demolished following a 'mysterious' fire. (Photo via F. A. Collyer)

The "South Eastern Hotel" was designed by James Brooks, better known for his ecclesiastical buildings, the contractor being the local builder James Wise, work commencing in 1896. (I trace it or a building on the same site earlier than this. 1874. Paul Skelton.)

The "South Eastern" as it became known locally - boasted 62 bedrooms (36 of which had private baths), electric lighting and a lift to the upper floors. Initially without the glazed conservatory and entrance canopy, possibly added in response to our "north-easters."

After these were erected, it was possible to witness hotel guests in full evening dress enjoying dinner and a fine view of The Downs - while lesser mortals strolled along the new Victoria Promenade.

Opened in 1898, to promote business the railway company sold special all-inclusion tickets for visitors to encourage them to use their trains. The hotel prospered until the outbreak of the Second World War, when it remained open for its permanent residents until closed-up after the Dunkirk evacuation.

However, the bar remained open for patronage of townspeople and the members of the armed forces based in the town.

After the war extensive repairs were necessary due to damage from bombs, mines an shells, the nearest falling only a couple of doors away.

When reopened it was renamed "The Queen's," the manager being a Mr. Richwood, who had ambitious plans to redevelop the car park at the rear for an indoor bowling club.

Despite several attempts to obtain planning permission, this scheme came to nought - had it gone ahead Deal would have had its own indoor bowling facility, and an asset to the town.

One popular haunt of both locals and Royal Marines was the Dive Bar in the semi-basement off Deal Castle Road, where resident pianist Phyllis Burgess (Smith) recalls musicians from the barracks enjoying impromptu "jam sessions."

By 1977 the advent of cheap foreign package holidays had led to the hotel's decline and closure. A redevelopment scheme for flats was proposed.

But it was not until 1984, and a bitter battle to save this jewel of the Victorian age, that the old "South Eastern" was demolished.

One of those who recalls the hotel in the early war years is Ann Johnson, who worked in the still room with a Mary Murtah.

One evening they were walking along the promenade when the air-raid sirens sounded "and then we heard the engines of approaching aircraft - and Mary just froze on the spot!"

"Nearby was an Army observation post and a soldier told us to take cover. picking up Mary and carrying her into his hut where we stayed until the raid ended.

"We were both given a cuppa and invited to stay, but I had to get back to work."

The following morning four torpedoes were discovered on the beach.

"Fortunately they hadn't exploded or half of Deal would have been blown up. The seafront was evacuated but it wasn't until that afternoon that the bomb disposal chaps arrived to deal with them!" The date was June 6, 1940.


South Eastern Hotel site 1999

Above photograph, kindly supplied by Patricia Streater, showing the building on the site as of January 1999.


From the East Kent Mercury, 7 February, 2013.


The annual banquet of the Deal, Walmer and District Chamber of Commerce was held at the South Eastern Hotel with the presence of the Lord Warden and Commandant of the Royal Marines Depot. Dr F.W. Hardman took the chair as president.



SMART Thomas Charles (Manager) 1899+ Kelly's 1899

LAVANCHY C (Manager) 1934+ Kelly's 1934


Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-