DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Dover, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 20 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1853-

Tinkers Close

Latest 1853+

5 Harold Street

Dover

 

Miss Lewis is thought to have served ale from here in 1853.

 

From the Dover Express, 30 April, 1971.

HAROLD STREET DEMOLITION

Harold Street

For many newly-wed flat dwellers these old properties used to be home. Now demolition work has started in Harold Street, and what has proved an eyesore for some time is coming down. Eventually, when all the three-storey building have been removed, building work will start on flats which are part of an overall redevelopment plan for the area.

The properties were built about 1885 by William John Adcock, Then Mayor of Dover. There were a lot of men out of work during his year of office and he got them to lay-out the zig-zag walk near Victoria Park.

Harold Street 1880

Above photo, showing Harold Street circa 1880. The building shown very right, ended up as "Hotel St. James."

 

Obviously as the above pictures shows the building from 1885 coming down, the "Tinker's Close" at 5 Harold Street predates any of those shown in the photograph and would have probably been demolished to make way for them.

 

LICENSEE LIST

LEWES Miss L E J 1853

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML