Sort file:- Sheerness, December, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 11 December, 2022.


Earliest ????

Hearts of Oak

Closed ????

21 High Street

Blue Town


Hearts of Oak

Above postcard, date unknown, kindly sent by Debi Birkin.


I have been informed that the pub was situated beyond the Minster Hospital somewhere.


East Kent Gazette, Saturday 20 September 1879.

The Hearts of Oak, Sheerness.

Mr. Elliot Brenchley, landlord of the "Hearts of Oak" beerhouse, Sheerness, applied to have the spirits licence of the "Army and Navy Inn" transferred to his house.

Mr. Stallon appeared for the applicant in this matter, and the proposal was opposed by Mr. Kingsford.

It appeared that there was no application before the bench for the renewal of a licence of the "Army and Navy," in consequence of the house having been closed as an inn, and, so the the latter materiality of Miss Robinson "the Soldiers' Friend,") turned into a coffee tavern, though it had not yet been practically opened as such.

Mr. Stallon commenced to address their worships sonne the application, pointing out that the fact of its being granted would not increase the number of public houses in Sheerness; but the Chairman said he need not go on, as a magistrates had already made up their minds. The application would be refused.


Faversham Times and Mercury and North-East Kent Journal, Saturday 20 September 1879.

Sittingbourne Petty Sessions.

Mr. Charles Johnson Gooding, builder, of Battersea applied, for the sixth consecutive year, for a licence for the "Ranelagh Arms," Broadway, Sheerness (a house on the United Land Company's Estate,) and was again unsuccessful; the Bench stating that the circumstances of the application were precisely the same as in 1878. Mr. Copeland, solicitor, appeared in support of the application; Mr. Douglas Kingsford, barrister (instructed by Mr. Vincent H. Stallon,) opposed, on behalf, it was stated, of the Sheerness Licensed Victuallers' Association, Sheerness. The total abstainers joined the licensed victuallers in the opposition.

Mr. Elliot Breechley, landlord of the "Hearts of Oak," Sheerness, applied to the Bench to transfer the spirit licence of the "Army and Navy Inn" (which has been closed as a public house, and turned into a coffee tavern) to his house.

Mr. Stallon, who was acting for the opposition in the preceding case, supported the application in this; and was opposed by Mr. Douglas Kingswood.

The Bench at once refuse the application.




McCARTHY Justin 1862-74+

BRENCHLEY Elliott 1881+ (age 37 in 1881Census)

PEACOCK John Henry 1891+

MORTLEY William 1899+

HULLITT John James 1901-6/Nov/17 dec'd (age 41 in 1901Census)

TRACE Mary Charlotte Mrs 1918+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-