DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Herne, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 23 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1829

New Dolphin

Latest 2000

(Name to)

58 Williams Street

Herne Bay

New Dolphin 1860

Above photo, circa 1860, with Tom Sayer's Canterbury Bus.

New Dolphin 1890

Above photo, circa 1890.

 

Not to be confused for the "Dolphin Hotel" which is in Dolphin Street about a third of a mile away. However, I believe this premises has also been called the "Little Dolphin" during the 1860s, probably so it didn't get confused for the "Dolphin Hotel."

The pub used to be the starting point for the horse bus to Canterbury.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 7 April, 1860.

HERNE BAY.

Capt. Slarke, having completed extensive alterations in his residence, No. 7 and 8, St. George's Terrace, by converting the two houses into one spacious dwelling with a handsome portico in front, gave a dinner to the master tradesmen and all employed on the work to celebrate the event, at the "New Dolphin Inn." The fare consisted of solid joints of roast and boiled meat, with all Vegetables in season, and that indispensable adjunct, rich plum-pudding. The manner in which the "spread" was got up by Mr. W. White, the landlord, did him great credit. The chair was filled by Mr. Harnden: Mr. Welby acting as Vice. After the repast the health of the gallant Captain was drunk with enthusiasm, after which other toasts and sentiments were given, and the inspiring song went round. As a finale, the company, twenty-two in number, sang the National Anthem, and all departed at a seasonable hour, highly gratified with their entertainment.

 

Information supplied by Michael White.

HISTORY OF THE DOLPHIN INN AND THE NEW DOLPHIN INN.

The two bays which formed Herne's shoreline were divided by a small point near the present Clock Tower. The "Ship Inn" at the foot of the Downs served the Lower Bay as the "Dolphin Inn" did the Upper.

This original "Dolphin Inn" was sited literally on the Beach in the days before Herne Bay developed as a town. The tenant of this original "Dolphin Inn" was moved there by Cobb's Brewers of Margate in anticipation of its demolition when the proposed Pier and Promenade were built in 1831. In fact matters turned out rather differently, and a true ‘new' Dolphin rose close to the old site, and remained a Cobb's house for 30 years.

In 1806, following his marriage to Ann (Solley), James White took over the tenancy of the "Dolphin" from William Taylor about whom there had been allegations of ‘gaming' on the premises.

In 1819, James White being the father of a growing family nearly lost the sight of an eye when a cartridge which had been tossed into the taproom fireplace, exploded in his face; he died four years later, and his widow was allowed to take over the licence.

Samuel Hacker, a Canterbury architect with interests in Sir Henry Oxenden's plans to develop land at the lower Bay, wrote to Cobb's (the brewers) in June 1826 to inform them that they ought to replace the Widow White at the "Dolphin" ‘she having been imprudent as to be Large in the Family way, by, I understand, a man of a drunken bad character'; in fact she gave birth to a son Henry at the end of that year.

However Ann did continue as Cobb's tenant at the "Dolphin" until shortly before the construction of the new Pier and Promenade, when she was transferred to premises in William Street, just back from the sea front, which became the "New Dolphin Inn."

The "New Dolphin Inn" itself continued in business under that name until the mid 1990's (at which time the name was changed to the "Scruffy Ducks"). This establishment was burnt down in 2006 and was completely demolished in 2007.

In the Pigots Directory of 1840, a sort of visitors' guide of the time, Ann White is shown as the licencee of the "New Dolphin," William Street and Jonathon Acres as the licensee of the "Dolphin," Telford Terrace which is listed as a ‘hotel and commercial inn'.

Herne Bay is described as ‘a hamlet in the parish of Herne, hundred of St Augustine and lathe of Scray, between six and seven miles north of Canterbury – situated on the most delightful part of the Kentish coast and endowed with superior local advantages for the establishment of a town and watering place; it occupies a gentle elevation, commanding in front an open unrestricted view of the ocean and inland a picturesque country, intersected with well wooded walks and rides. …… The parish (including Herne Bay) contained in 1831, 1876 inhabitants, which number has greatly increased since that period.'

 

For some reason the pub changed name to the "Scruffy Ducks" in 2000.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WHITE Ann 1832-61 (widow age 78 in 1861Census)

WHITE William 1862-81+ (widower age 59 in 1881Census)

PLAISTED Thomas Wilkes 1911-Nov/1913 (age 65 in 1911Census) Whitstable Times

Last pub licensee had MANN Robert Nov/1913+ Whitstable Times

STRIKER Charles E 1938+

http://pubshistory.com/NewDolphin.shtml

 

CensusCensus

Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML