DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Herne, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 06 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1785-

(Name from)

Dolphin Hotel

Closed 2000

Dolphin Street / 110 Central Parade

Herne Bay

https://whatpub.com/dolphin-hotel

Dolphin Hotel

Above photo date 1991. Taken from  http://www.twinisles.com

Dolphin sign 1991

Above sign, July 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

Dolphin Court

Photo taken June 2013 when the hotel was called "Dolphin Court".

 

This pub was established by 1727, initially as the "Three Horseshoes". By 1785, the name had been changed to the Dolphin. It was substantially rebuilt in around 1831 as the Dolphin Hotel. Closure came in 2000 and the pub / hotel has now been converted to residential use.

I also have reference to a "New Dolphin" at 58 Williams Street, but don't know the connection as yet, if any.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 10 July 1838.

J. ACRES,

BEGS respectfully to inform his friends and the public, that the VICTORIA Excursion COACH leaves the "Dolphin Hotel," HERNE BAY, every Morning (except Sunday) at half-past Nine o'clock, for DOVER; calling at and leaving the "ROSE HOTEL," Canterbury at Eleven o’clock; and returns from BUNN’S "London Hotel," Dover, for Herne Bay at Four o’clock, calling at and leaving the "Rose Hotel," Canterbury, at Seven o’clock every evening (except Sunday).

Fares to Dover— 7s. inside, 4s. outside. To Canterbury— 2s. 6d. inside. 1s. 6d. outside.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 14 February 1843.

DEATH.

Feb. 6, at Herne Bay, Mr. J. White, of the "Dolphin Inn;" the deceased, while dressing a pig, ran a hook in his thumb, which turned to mortification, and ended in death.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 23 September 1845.

DOLPHIN HOTEL, HERNE BAY. WANTED.

A Steady Active Young MAN, with Good Character, as WAITER, and to make himself useful. The situation is Permanent, a comfortable home, and the Perquisites would be the Emolument. Wanted also a FEMALE SERVANT, of good character, as General Servant, one who has been used to Chambers, and a good plain cook. No one need apply whose character will not bear the strictest investigation.

Apply to Mr. J. ACRES, Herne Bay.

 

Kentish Gazette, 26 March 1850.

Alfred Francis Joshua Steed, 19, was indicted for passing counterfeit coins at Herne.

Mr. Deedes prosecuted, and Mr. Charnock defended.

Emily Salter deposed that she had given the prisoner change for a half-crown.

Stephen Holness deposed, that at the "Dolphin" public house the prisoner tendered a bad shilling for some gin.

Mr. Powell proved the half-crown and shilling to be counterfeit.

Mr. Charnock addressed the jury for the prisoner in an able speech, arguing that the evidence was insufficient.

Verdict:— Not guilty.

 

From the Whitstable Times, 31 December, 1870.

THE PROPOSED NEW PROMENADE PIER.

Plans of the proposed new promenade pier are now on view at the “Dolphin Hotel,” according to which the construction is to be composed entirely of iron and the design is of a very neat and ornamental character. We hear that the estimated cost is 18,000. A London firm have offered to build it for that sum, and it is stated that they are willing to take out half the amount in shares. Should this desirable arrangement be adopted the remaining half will have to be raised by shares taken by other persons, and it is hoped the inhabitants of the Bay will not be backward in furthering the accomplishment of this object. The shares are fixed at 10, the first call to be 2 per share. During the past week the engineers have been down to solicit some of the principal inhabitants to become shareholders, and we believe they have been tolerably successful.

 

Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Monday 9 January 1871.

HERNE BAY.

The designs and plans for the new promenade pier are now on view at the "Dolphin Hotel." The structure is to be constructed entirely of iron, and the design is of a very tasteful and ornamental character. We hear that the estimated cost is 18,000.

 

From an email received 4 November 2015.

My great, great, great grandfather, James White was the licensee from about 1807 till his death in 1822.

The license then passed to his widow, Ann White who remained there until about 1828, when she was given the licence for the new "Dolphin Inn" around the corner as there was a proposal to develop the foreshore which meant the "Dolphin Inn" would be demolished – which never happened.

Her son, William continued as Licensee of the new "Dolphin Inn" as did his son James.

Michael White.

See history write up by Michael White, CLICK HERE.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WHITE James 1807-22 dec'd

BELL James Bell 1822+

BELL F 1825+

WHITE Ann 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

ACRES Jonathon 1828-55+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34 (age 42 in 1851Census)

BAWCOMB John 1858-91+ (age 54 in 1871Census)

EDWARDS David Llewellyn 1938+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Dolphin.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML