Sort file:- Deptford, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1851-

Amersham Arms

Open 2020+

388 New Cross Road

St. Paul


020 8469 1499

Amersham Arms 2007

Above photo date 2007. Taken by Matt Martin.

Amersham Arms 2007

Above photo 2007. Taken by Matt Martin.


I have also seen this addressed as New Cross.


From The Era (London, England), October 5, 1851: Issue 680.

Licensed Victuallers Mems.

The applicants from Deptford were eight in number, one house out of that number being afforded a license, namely Mr. William Luckhurst, the "Amersham Arms," New-cross, close to the railway terminus, and where sixty-seven trains pass daily.


The Era, Sunday 12 December, 1858.

Southwark. Conviction of an Old Pott-stealer.

George Baker,a middle-aged man, was finally examined, charged with stealing 3 pint pots, the property of various publicans.

Dennis Scanlon, 177M, an active detective officer, said that on Wednesday week, about 4 o'clock, he met the prisoner in Suffolk Street, and suspecting him he stopped him and asked him what he had about in. He replied "Nothing," but on searching him he found two pint pewter pots in his coat pocket, and one in his trousers pocket. The bottoms were cut off and put inside the pots, which were doubled up so as to lie flat in his pockets. He took him into custody and had since then ascertained the owners.

Mr. Williams, the landlord of the "Lord Wellington" public house, Old Kent Road, identified one of the pots as his property.

The landlord of the "Asylum Tavern" identify the second, and the landlord of the "Amersham Arms," New Cross identified the Third.

The prisoner pleaded guilty to the charges.

Two of the pots he stole from the houses, and the third he took off the railings of a house in the road, and you cut the bottoms off.

Scanlan informed his worship that the prisoner had been once convicted for unlawful possession, and once tried and convicted of stealing in this court. He believed him to be connected with a gang of coiners, who used the publicans' pots in the manufacture of the base coin.

The prisoner denied that, when Mr. Secker sentenced him to 2 months on each charge, making his imprisonment all together 6 months, with hard labour.


Kentish Independent 17 July 1869.


Croom's Hill, July 10. Before Colonel Farnell. C.B.. (chairman), Captain Robertson. R..N M. W. Adams, B. Poulter, G. Parker, and T. M. Ryley, Esqrs.

Transfer of Licenses.

Applications were made for the transfer of the following licences:—

"Amersham Arms," Deptford, from Joseph Bennett to Edward Thomas Coppinger.


Kentish Mercury, 16 March, 1894.

Alterations of Premises.

Two plans were submitted for the approval of the Bench by Mr. H Roberts, architect. The first proposed alterations and additions to the "Amersham Arms," New Cross, for Mr. J. P. James, and the second was for a saloon bar at the "Prince of Wales," Walpole Road, New Cross, for Mrs. E. Chapman.

Both were sanctioned.



LUCKHURST William 1851-58+

LUCKHURST Mary Mrs Aug/1866-69

BENNETT Joseph to July/1869

COPPINGER Edward Thomas July/1869-Jan/72

COPPINGER Edward (son) Jan/1872-74+

AGATE William 1881-84+ (age 49 in 1881Census)

JANES James Philip 1891-99+ (age 41 in 1891Census)

JANES Sidney Philip 1910-34+




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-