Sort file:- Chatham, July, 2019.

Page Updated:- Friday, 26 July, 2019.


Earliest 1648-

Trumpet Tavern

Latest 1889+

60 High Street


Former Trumpet 2018

Above photo 2018.


The Licensing Records of 1872 stated the premises held a Full License and was owned by Edward Winch of Chatham.

This was situated two doors down from the "Chest Arms."


In the book "Trade Tokens Issued in the Seventeenth Century" by George C Williamson (1889-91) there is an entry for a token supposedly from the "Trumpet." This would have been issued between 1648-72.

96. O. RICHARD . JENNMAN = A bugle-horn.

R. IN . CHATTHAM = R . P . I. ()

A tavern called the Trumpet is still standing in the High Street (1889).


South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 20, March 1849.

Alleged attempt to murder.

Robert Wicksom, 32, a marine, was indicted for casting and throwing down to the ground, from a window of the height of 20 feet and upwards, one Elizabeth Mulluder, with intent to kill and murder her, at Chatham.

Mr Tassell prosecuted, Mr Addison defended the prisoner.

Elizabeth Mulluder sworn:- I have been living in the service of Mr Simmons, a Draper, at Strood, who service I left on the 5th November, in the morning. I went to Brompton to Mrs. Theobald, whom I had known before, and he was a friend of my mother. My mother lived at Cliffe, 5 miles from Strood. I left Mrs. Theobald about 6 o'clock in the evening of the same day. I walked about till 8 o'clock, and then went to Chatham, where I went to the "Cock" public house, and engaged a bed, in which I slept. No one slept with me. I left there the next day. I had no money. I went to enquire for a situation about the town. I went to the "Union Flag" in the evening, at about 7 o'clock, for a bed. I met the prisoner there, who asked me to drink with him, and we had six pennyworth of rum and water. I had to draughts. Had nothing more to drink there, and then went to a concert at the "Red Lion," where we had a quart of ale, some of which prisoner gave away. We stayed about quarter of an hour, and then came up to Chatham and hired a bed; this was about 8 o'clock. We went into two or three public houses, and prisoner engaged a bed at the "Trumpet," for which he paid. We went upstairs together. Prisoner did not give me any money, or did he offer me any. I knew I was going to sleep with him. I've never slept with any man before. Prisoner called for a pint of beer, servant brought it up, and then left. I then shut the door, and afterwards undressed myself and got into bed. I soon after got out of bed and dressed myself. I was putting on my frock when he got out of bed and said, "I dare say you thought I was asleep, but you are mistaken." I asked him to let me go down, but he would not, and locked the door and took the key. He swore at me, and told me I had robbed him. I told him I had not, and he then said "No, you haven't; there is plenty of silver and plenty of gold. If you have robbed me I'll cut your throat." He then gave me a blow in the face and said, "I dare say you have taken my jacket and my waistcoat." He found them, and then said "If you had taken them I would have knocked your brain out." He then folded his waistcoat and coat, and put them on the bed. I was dressed all together. He kept swearing very much, and said he would throw me out of the window. I begged him not to do it, but he said he would. I was not near the window. He took the glass off the table, laid it on the bed, removed the table from under the window, and put it in the middle of the room. He then drew up the blind and opened the window. I was sitting in a chair. After he had opened the window he swore at me, and took me by the shoulders, and said "Now, then," and put me out of the window, and I sat on the sill of the window. He did not hold me, and I called for a ladder. I took hold of the window ledge and let myself down, when he took hold of my arm whilst I was hanging down. I said "Oh pray, you will break my arm, and he let go, and I fell. I do not remember anything after that, until I was being carried upstairs. Prisoner was sober; I never saw him before that time.

Cross examined by Mr Addison:- I left Mrs. Simmons because she boxed my ears. My friends live 5 miles from Strood. I did not let them know I was going to leave. I had a dance at the "Union Flag," and then went to the concert. I will swear that the prisoner did not ask me to let him write a letter to my father.

By the Judge:- I did not go home because I thought my father would send me back.

Elizabeth Lawrence sworn:- I am servant at the "Trumpet" public house. On the 6th November I was called to light the prisoner and the last witness to bed. Prisoner paid for the bed. I bade them good night, and returned to the tap room. Shortly afterwards heard groans, and on opening the door saw the prosecutrix on the ground, very much bruised. Prisoner opened the bedroom door, and said "Let her in, she's a B-----y mess."

Harriet Tumor, landlady of the "Trumpet," deposed to the prisoner prosecutrix coming to her house. Prisoner asked the price of a bed, and witness told him 1s. 8d. Prosecutrix replied "We never pay more than one shilling." They then went upstairs. Shortly afterwards she heard groans in the yard, when she went into the tap room, threw up the window, and saw the girl standing under the window, and her bonnet on the ground a short distance off. She sent for a surgeon. Prisoner was in his bedroom, with the door locked inside, but shortly afterwards opened it and came downstairs. Prisoner stated that the girl asked him to remove the looking glass from the window. She then threw up the window and jumped out. He caught hold of her arms, and tried to save her, but could not. He gave his name and address, and the next day he called to see her; they talked in a very friendly way. He decided that she might have anything she wanted, and he would see it paid.

Mr Archibald Robertson, surgeon, Chatham, deposed:- On the 6th November I was called to the "Trumpet" public house, between 10 and 11 o'clock. Saw the prosecutor in the tap room. She was in a very bruised state, and appeared very much frightened. The bruises might have been occasioned by a fall, or from being thrown out of the window. They were not dangerous.

Thomas Blues, constable of Chatham, stated that the window was 24 feet from the ground.

Mr Addison address the Jury for the prisoner, contending that the indictment was not clearly made out, as no intention of murder was proved. He also remarked on the statement made be the prisoner in reference to the prosecutrix throwing herself out, and said that he considered that the most likely story, as, if the prisoner has been guilty of the offence imputed to him, he would undoubtedly have endeavoured to make his escape.

His Lordship, in summing up, observed that it was a case of some difficulty, as the prisoner's statements and the prosecutrix's were directly opposed to each other; but it was for the jury say, under all the circumstances of this case, which they believed.

The Prisoner was acquitted.


Chatham News, Friday 28 April 1939.

75 years ago.

Extracts from the "Chatham News" of April 30th, 1864.

Great fire in Chatham.

Early on Wednesday morning at great fire occurred in Chatham, which, but for the ample supply of water which these times now possess, might have been the cause of even greater suffering and devastation.

On Tuesday morning, about 10 o'clock, Mr. English, a ropemaker and dealer in pitch of 59, High Street, Chatham, next door to the "Chatham News" Office, had an outbreak of fire in his underground kitchen. It appears that a small kettle of tar had been hung over the kitchen fire to heat, and during Mr. English's absence, had boiled over, and, of course, made a great blaze.

Mr. English, and some merchant-captain's who were in the shop, managed to extinguish the flames by means of wet sacks, but not before the kitchen has been blackened with smoke. The police attended with the hose reel, but the fire was considered to have been thoroughly extinguished, and the services of the police with thought not to be required.

We understand that some of the sacks used for putting out the fire were incautiously thrown into a seller at the rear of the house, and it is surmised that fire smouldered in them.

At any rate, on the following morning (Wednesday), between 4 and 5 o'clock, the back portions of Mr. English's premises were found to be on fire. The family sleeping on the first and second floors had a narrow escape.

The scene of the worst part of the fire was the large wooden warehouses store rooms at the back of Mr. English's house. The flames raged fearfully there, threatening destruction to the surrounding property the "Trumpet Tavern," Mr. Crockfords cold stores, and especially to our printing offices.

The warehouse was soon redused to a mass of glowing ruins, and although a great deal of smoke coming from our office, it was thought that no fire existed in it. But at length it become apparent that the place was really on fire - a large store of stationary had ignited. It was discovered that a door communicating with the house was burnt through, and part of the passage was ignited. Many willing hands, and then smoke, assisted in saving type, frames, and other printed materials, which were taken to a place of safety.

Subsequently, during the day, in the evening, and even during the succeeding night, there were again partial outbreaks, which, however, were quickly subdued. It has been estimated that damage caused by the fire totalled nearly 5,000.



BEAUMONT James 1793+ Trade Directory 1793

FULGER George 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

BROMLEY Charles 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

GODSIFF John 1838+ Wright's Topography 1838

TUMOR Harriet 1849 South Eastern Gazette

Last pub licensee had MANNERING Thomas 1859-61+ Next pub licensee had Census (Father of Alfred from the "Oxford.")

MANNERING George licence to VIDLER George 1871-72+ Licensing Records 1872 (age 24 in 1871Census)


Trade Directory 1793Universal British Directory of Trade 1793

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Wright's Topography 1838Wright's Topography 1838

South Eastern GazetteSouth Eastern Gazette


Licensing Records 1872Licensing Records 1872


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-