DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 23 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Ed Gilbert & Paul Skelton

Earliest 1864-

Black Horse

Open 2020+

169 (159) Camden Road

Royal Tunbridge Wells

01892 523910

http://www.blackhorsetunbridgewells.co.uk/

https://whatpub.com/black-horse

Black Horse

Above photo, date unknown, kindly supplied by Ed Gilbert.

Black Horse

Above photo, date unknown, kindly supplied by Ed Gilbert.

Black Horse 2011

Photo by Oast House Archives 2011 from http://www.flickr.com.

Black Horse sign 2011

Above sign 2011.

 

From the Kent and Sussex Courier, Friday 27 February 1874.

EXTENSION OF TIME.

The bench granted an extension of one hour to Mr. Punyer, of the "Black Horse," on the occasion of an anniversary supper.

 

From the Kent and Sussex Courier. 2 April 1886.

LICENSING.

Mr. Simpson stated in the case of the "Black Horse," the landlord, James Box, had died, and the license was transferred to his executrix, Mrs. Emily Box. She had since been married, and now bore the name of Easton, and applied for temporary authority to be granted to Thomas Henry Lovell, to carry on the house. The application was granted.

 

From an email received, 26 May 2014.

Hello Paul;

Regarding the "Black Horse," the man who opened it was Isaac Terry born 1822 Sussex. He had applied for a licence to open the tavern in 1863 but William Barlow of the "Roebuck Tavern" objected and Terry didn't get his licence. In 1864 Kelsey's Brewery bought the "Roebuck" and in that same year Terry got his licence to open the "Black Horse."

Another pub on Camden Road was the "Prince of Wales" which opened in 1858. The pub "Crystal Palace" opened on Camden Road in 1870, but probably not by that name as it is not on my list of old pubs. The "Black Horse" today is one of the Shepherds Neame pubs.

Regards,

Ed Gilbert.

 

Written By; Edward James Gilbert-Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada 15 June, 2014.

THE BLACK HORSE PUB ON CAMDEN ROAD.

ABOUT THE PUB.

About 25 years ago Camden Road (originally known as Calverley Quarry Road) had several pubs but now only a few are in business, serving its patrons a good pint. One of the early pubs on Camden Road was the "Black Horse." In 1863 Isaac Terry decided to open the "Black Horse" but his application that year for a license was opposed by William Barlow who ran the "Roebuck" pub on Camden Road. William Barlow said “Mr Terry was a puppet for E & H Terry, owners of the Culverden Brewery on St John’s Road near the corner of Culverden Road. Kelsey’s by this time were the owners of several pubs in the town and their business had prospered. In 1864 William Barlow sold the "Roebuck" to Kelsey’s and so in that year Isaac Terry’s application for a license was approved and he owned the "Black Horse."

The businesses on Camden Road have had their ups and downs over the years but when the "Black Horse" opened it was a thriving community and Mr Terry did a good trade. By 1870 a considerable population was living in the area.

In 1874 the address of the pub was No. 74. Due to renumbering of Camden Road over the years the pubs address in 1891 was No. 159 and from 1899 to 2014 it was found at 169 Camden Road. The "Black Horse" is one of the oldest surviving pubs on Camden Road and has been run by a number of individuals since it opened. The pub’s location is on the west side of Camden Road between Beulah Road and Albion Road right at the corner of Camden Road and Stanley Road.

The Court Rock of Hope A.O.F., established in 1866 had 68 members in 1877 and in that year held their meetings at the "Black Horse." The pub was located in the parish of St Barnabas. The website of St Barnabas provides a historical account of the parish and the church as well as the image below that had the caption ‘Black Horse Yard’.

Black Horse Yard

Today the "Black Horse" is a Shepherd Neame pub. This brewery is the oldest one in Britain, having been founded in 1698 by Richard Marsh in Faversham, Kent. The company still brews their beer from that location. In 2010 they had over 360 pubs in Kent, London, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire and Essex. Today the pub carries Shepherd Neame’s ales and lagers and is located in the heart of a thriving community. Music fans are well catered for at the pub with regular live sessions. It is a favourite meeting place for local community projects and church groups. Outside there is a large garden divided into three areas, two of which are under cover and provides space for smokers. Games on offer at the pub include darts, pool, dominoes and cards. The pub has had its ups and downs, being fund down in the past but now is on the up, being under new management.

THE PUBS OCCUPANTS

Given in this section is a list of the various licensed victuallers of the pub and some information about each of them from 1864 to 1938. The information given is based on local directory listings and census data. Since records are not available for every year the dates should be considered as a guide and it is possible not all of the occupants of the pub have been identified.

(1) ISAAC TERRY……… In 1863 he applied for a licence to open the pub but was refused. In 1864 he obtained his licence and he became the pubs first licensee. The 1867 Kelly directory gave “Isaac Terry, "Black Horse," Camden Road. In 1874 there were two listings for Isaac, the first was under the heading of wine & spirit merchants and the second under the heading of restaurant, wine & spirit merchants’. Isaac was born 1822 at West Hothley, Sussex. He married Harriett Rebecca Knapp November 25, 1845 at St Marylebone. She had been born 1818 in London, and was the daughter of Thomas Joseph Knapp, a butler. Isaac’s father was Joseph Terry, a farmer. In 1861 Isaac was at Hothley, Sussex where he was working as a butler for the Maynard family. The 1871 census, taken at 24 Clarence Hotel, in Tunbridge Wells recorded Isaac Terry as the hotel keeper. Living with him was his wife Harriett, three of his children, one lodger, and one servant. The 1881 census, taken at 15 Prospect Road,’ Royal Oak Inn’, listed four members of the Tracy family, one of whom was the licensed victualler and two servants. Also living where was Isaac Terry, given as father in law, and Isaac’s wife Harriet. It was their daughter Sarah Jane Terry that had married Patrick Tracy. Isaac Terry died in Tunbridge Wells in the 4th qtr of 1881. His probate record states that he was formerly of Tunbridge Wells but late of Southborough and that he died October 9,1881 at Southborough. The executors of his small estate were Patrick Tracy (his son in law) of Tunbridge Wells, innkeeper, and Philip Peters of Pembury, innkeeper, the nephew.

(2) HENRY PUNYER……..Henry took over the "Black Horse" from Isaac Terry in 1871. He is listed in the 1874 Kelly directory at the Black Horse, but was gone by 1882. Henry had been born 1821 at Orlestone, Kent, one of four children born to William Punyer (1784-1863) and Charlotte Punyer, who was born in 1846. Henry was baptised December 9,1821 at Orlestone, Kent. On June 1,1847 Henry married Ann Payne at Elham, Kent and with her had four children between 1851 and 1858. In 1851 he was living with his wife and daughter at Mersham, Kent, where was working as a blacksmith. In 1861 he was living at 23 High Street at St Leonards, Kent, where he was an innkeeper and pork butcher. Living with him was his wife Ann; four of his children, and one servant. The 1871 census, taken at 74 Camden Road "Black Horse," records Henry as the licensed victualler. Henry was given as a widower and living with him was his two daughters and a son George, an apprentice carpenter & joiner. The 1881 census, taken at 88 Goods Station Road, Tunbridge Wells lists the main occupants as James Geering, a carman, and his wife and daughter. Living with them was Henry Punyer “late licensed victualler” and his daughter Elizabeth. Henry died in Tunbridge Wells in the 3rd qtr of 1889.

(3) JAMES BOX………..James was recorded as the licensed victualler of the "Black Horse" in the 1882 Kelly directory. He was born 1832 in Tunbridge Wells and baptised in the town on February 20,1833, and was one of several children born to Francis and Mary Box. In 1851 he was living in the town with his parents; four siblings and one lodger. His father was born 1801 at Withyham, Sussex and was in 1851 at county court bailiff, as was his son Henry. His son James, age 19, was a grocers assistant. On October 29, 1855 James married Emily Robinson in Frant, Sussex. In 1861 James and Emily and four boarders were living at Birling Place on the Frant Road where James was a grocers assistant. In 1868 James and his wife were living on Quarry Road. The 1871 census, taken at 42 Camden Road, James was working as a grocer. Living with him was his wife Emily, born 1831 Tunbridge Wells and his niece Janie Robinson. The 1881 census, taken at 151 Camden Road records James as a licensed victualler. Living with him was his wife Emily, one visitor and one servant. Probate records give that James Box was a grocer of Tunbridge Wells but formerly of the "Black Horse Inn," Camden Road, a licensed victualler, and that he died November 17, 1885 at the "Black Horse Inn." His estate was valued at 600 and he was survived by his wife Emily.

(4) WILLIAM WHITTINGTON………William was recorded at the "Black Horse" in the 1891 census and remained there until about 1895.

(5) JAMES HIBBERT………James was recorded in the 1899 Kelly at the "Black Horse" public house at 169 Camden Road. The 1903 Kelly directory recorded him at 316 Dorking Road.

(6) LEONARD SANDERS……..Leonard was born 1869 at Charlwood, Reigate, Surrey and was one of six children born to Thomas and Mary Sanders. In 1881 Leonard was living in Charlwood with his widowed mother Mary, a charwoman, born 1824. Also present was Leonards two brothers, both agricultural labourers, and one sister who was a general servant. The 1891 census, taken at Crabbett House in Worth, Sussex recorded Leonard working as a servant (groom) for the Denman family. In the 2nd qtr of 1895 Leonard married Kate Simmons at Brighton, Sussex. Kate had been born 1872 at Crawley, Surrey. The 1901 census, taken at the "Black Horse,"169 Camden Road records Leonard as the licensed victualler. Living with him was his wife Kate, his three children and one domestic servant. The 1903 Kelly lists Leonard at the "Black Horse," 169 Camden Road.

(7) HARRY NETLEY…………He was in charge of the "Black Horse" from at least 1913 to 1922. Harry was born 1852 at Patching, Sussex. Harry’s first wife was Annie, born 1855 at Arundel, Sussex, who he married before 1875. The 1881 census, taken at New Town, Infield, Sussex, records Harry as a railway signalman. Living with him was his wife Annie, their four children and one lodger. The 1891 census recorded Harry, his wife Annie, and their seven children at Throwleigh, Devon where Harry was a games-keeper warden. In 1901 Harry was at the same place with the same occupation. The 1911 census, taken at the "Black Horse" pub 169 Camden Road records Harry as a publican. Living with him was his second wife Emily, born 1859 Tunbridge Wells, and four of his children. The census records that the couple had been married three years and that the premises had 10 rooms. The last records of Harry at the "Black Horse" was the 1922 Kelly directory. Harry died in Tunbridge Wells in the 1st qtr of 1922.

(8) JOHN ERIC WILLIAMS………John was at the "Black Horse" in the 1930 Kelly directory. John was born April 1899 and was baptised April 16,1899 at Parsons Green St Dionis. His parents were Henry and Fanny Williams. The 1911 census, taken at Manns Cottage, North Hyde, Southhall, Middlesex, records Henry John Williams, born 1873 in Oxfordshire, as an acting sergeant with the police. Living with him was his wife Fanny and their five children, including John Eric Williams who was attending school. The couple had been married 12 years and they were living in 5 rooms. Sometime in the 1920’s Eric moved to Tunbridge Wells and by 1930 took over the running of the "Black Horse" pub.

 

Local knowledge, further pictures, and licensee information would be appreciated.

I will be adding the historical information when I find or are sent it, but this project is a very big one, and I do not know when or where the information will come from.

All emails are answered.

 

LICENSEE LIST

TERRY Isaac 1864+

PUNYER Henry 1873-74+ Kent and Sussex Courier

BOX James 1882-pre86 dec'd Kent and Sussex Courier

BOX Emily (widow) to Apr/86 Kent and Sussex Courier

LOVELL Thomas Henry Apr/86+ Kent and Sussex CourierK

WHITTINGTON William 1891+

SANDERS Leonard 1901-03+ (age 32 in 1901Census)

NETLEY Harry 1913-22+

WILLIAMS John Eric 1930+

KING Alfred 1938+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/BlackHorse.shtml

 

Kent and Sussex CourierKent and Sussex Courier

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML