Sort file:- Dartford, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


19 June 2009

(Name from)

Flying Boat

Open 2020+

36-42 Spital Street


01322 421970

Flying Boat 2012

Above photo 1 September 2012, by emdjt42.

Flying Boat 2013

Above photo 2013 by Nigel Chadwick Creative Commons Licence.


This grade II listed building gained its listing on 21 May 1999 and was Beadle's car showroom and offices for many years. John Clayton Beadle moved his horse-drawn-vehicle-making business to Spital Street in 1900. In 1910, he added the single-storey car showroom where you now stand. The workshops at the rear of the showroom included a roller-skating rink which doubled as a meeting venue, with Winston Churchill and A J Balfour both addressing crowds here. The workshops were demolished in 1998, when the premises were converted into a public house. During the First and Second World War, production at Beadle's was geared to the war effort, including making floats for Sunderland flying boats - one of the most powerful and widely used flying boats in the Second World War.


According to the What Pubs website, this was previously called the "Litten Tree" but to date I have found no reference to it. Local knowledge required please.


From the By Paul Hooper, 8 July 2020.

Strood man on trial for attempted murder at The Flying Boat Wetherspoon after stabbing.

A man went to a Dartfordfor a drink and ended up fighting for his life after being stabbed four times, a court heard.

Stephen Hooper had been drinking with friends when IT worker Joel Jueanville, the son of a pastor and magistrate, suddenly attacked him from behind, it is alleged.

Jueanville, 32, of Frindsbury Road, Strood, was arrested after returning to the same pub carrying the same weapon nine days later and has pleaded not guilty attempted murder.

A jury at Maidstone Crown Court heard how on a sunny day in May last year, the 59-year old victim, who is from Dartford, had walked to The Flying Boat, in Spital Street, arriving at just before 4pm.

He ordered a pint of lager and went back outside to find somewhere to sit and drink his pint and smoke a cigarette.

Prosecutor Charles Evans added: "An eyewitness, Tracey Cook, describes Jueanville walking out of the pub in what she said was a jolly manner.

"He then stood behind Mr Hooper and stared at a woman, Kira Woodcock and her dog for what she says was around a minute. He said nothing and no one said anything to him.

"Then, suddenly, and for no reason that she could see, the defendant punched Mr Hooper about four times to his back, " he alleged.

Ms Woodcock describes him walking off “really casually and slowly without a care in the world”.

Mr Evans added: "Ms Woodcock did not see any weapon, but we know that rather than being punched, Mr. Hooper was actually stabbed four times with a lock knife."

Mr Hooper saw his attacker walking away and realised he did not know the defendant, nor had he ever seen him before, said the prosecutor.

The victim was taken to a London hospital and treated for the stab wounds and has since recovered.

Mr Evans added: "The Crown’s case is that the blows were aimed in such a way and to such a part of the body, containing as it does the vital organs and blood vessels, that the natural conclusion is that the defendant wanted him to die.

"He tried to kill Mr Hooper, which is another way of saying attempted to murder him," he claimed.

Mr Hooper said in a statement: "I felt four very hard punches to my back. I felt instant pain, they were seriously hard blows. I reached round to my back with both hands and felt blood."

Jueanville was arrested after returning to pub nine days later, carrying a lock knife which contained Mr Hooper's DNA on its tip.

Mr Evans alleged that Jueanville alleged the knife had been planted on him and denied going to the pub on the day of the attack.

He has denied attempted murder and his defence team, led by Oliver Saxby QC, is expected to raise the defence of insanity.

The trial continues.


From the By Sean Delaney, 23 July 2020.

Dartford victim speaks out after Strood man acquitted of attempted murder outside Wetherspoon's pub The Flying Boat.

A stab victim who was knifed four times outside a pub has said he cannot forgive his attacker, who was acquitted by reason of insanity.

Stephen Hooper had been drinking in the Flying Boat in Dartford when IT worker Joel Jueanville attacked him from behind without warning.

Stephen Hopper stabbed

Stephen Hooper was stabbed four times in the back.

The 61-year-old was taken to hospital on May 25 last year after receiving four blows to his back from a lock knife. He has since recovered physically but has suffered flashbacks.

The ex-marine spoke of his "sheer surprise and shock" to learn Mr Jueanville, of Frindsbury Road, Strood, was acquitted of attempted murder on grounds of insanity on Thursday last week.

It comes after prosecution lawyers accepted during the trial that the 32-year-old was suffering from a mental illness at the time of the attack in Dartford.

Mr Hooper had gone for a smoke outside the Wetherspoon's pub when he was struck from behind.

He described enjoying a conversation with two ladies and their dog when he felt something hard push against his back

"I think I got half way through my pint," Mr Hooper said. At first he thought it might have been someone patting him on the back but "it was too hard and it really hurt".

He said: "I stood up holding my back. I realised as I brought my hands away they were already covered in blood.

"Without any forewarning I got stabbed four times in the back. Two of the stab wounds punctured my left lung.

"One chipped off a piece of my spinal cord. The last one was less than a millimetre from my kidney.

"I was told if they had hit the kidney, I would have bled out."

Mr Hooper was taken to King's College Hospital in London where he was treated for his injuries and spent the night under observation.

He returned to Dartford around eight days later to praise the workers at the pub who he credits with helping save his life.

"The first thing I did was go to the Flying Boat to thank the bar staff because they were using T-shirts to stem the blood while we waited for the ambulance," he said.

Mr Jueanville returned to the pub nine days after the stabbing.

He was arrested after a member of the bar staff recognised him and alerted police who found him outside, carrying a lock knife which contained Mr Hooper's DNA on its tip.

At the trial, eyewitness Kira Woodcock described Mr Jueanville walking off “really casually and slowly without a care in the world”.

During the hearing, a psychiatrist revealed Mr Jueanville had admitted to having hallucinations about voodoo and witchcraft.

Dr Tim Rogers told the jury at Maidstone Crown Court Mr Jueanville believed "in that moment" he was acting to save himself and therefore the defence of insanity applied as he was unaware his actions were legally wrong.

"There is no alternative or rational motive for Joel Jueanville to assault the victim in quite the way he did," he explained.

Defence barrister Oliver Saxby QC said after the hearing: "Insanity applies where someone has a defect of reason as a result of some sort of recognised mental illness and either they didn’t know the nature and quality of the act they did or they didn’t know that what they were doing was against the law.

"All the experts agreed he had a disease of the mind at the time he stabbed the victim – namely schizophrenia – and they all agreed he was suffering from symptoms of this at the time he stabbed the victim – namely delusions."

After the trial, Judge Philip St John-Stevens thanked the defendant for his behaviour in what he called "one of the most unusual cases I have ever been involved with in 30 years".

Mr Hooper reacted angrily to the verdict, which had been subject to repeated delays due to the pandemic.

He said he was "gutted" after waiting such a long time, adding that he felt the judge's wording did not take into account the serious injuries he sustained.

"It should have been he is guilty but he has mental health problems," he said.

Mr Jueanville will now stay at a secure mental hospital and the judge will receive two reports from psychiatrists before making an order under the Mental Health Act.

Meanwhile, Mr Hooper says the attack has left him "jumpy" and he suffers regular flashback and panic attacks.

He has since moved away from the area and is currently shielding with his partner as he is classified as vulnerable owing to his diabetes and a heart condition.

In the months following the stabbing, he says he would often sit with his back protected against a wall or a window.

He also had flashbacks after watching an episode of Midsomer Murders in which someone is stabbed in the back in a cemetery.

"Immediately, that sent me in a spin," he said.

As a practising Catholic, Mr Hooper said the attack had left him troubled and he had sought guidance from a priest.

"It felt so purposeful how he stabbed me.

"If he showed some remorse I might start to get over it," he added. "You can't forgive someone who has got off scot-free."

The hearing was adjourned until next month for reports to be prepared.




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-