DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Sevenoaks, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1870-

Homesdale Tavern

Latest 1959+

109 High Street

Sevenoaks

Holmsdale Tavern

Above photo, 1870 by Hazel Willby.

 

Obviously owned and supplied by the Holmsdale Brewery, that was situated at 117 High Street, founded by John Samuel Bligh in 1868 and taken over by Watney, Combe, Reid and Co in 1911. This would have been one of the 27 tied houses on their books.

 

Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, Friday 20 February 1948.

LICENSES EXTENDED.

There was no opposition to the application for a full "on" license for the "Holmesdale Tavern," Sevenoaks, in place of the existing beer-house license.

Mr. B. H. Waddy told the Magistrates that an average of 400 main meals were served on the premises each week. Monopoly value had been agreed at 8,400, less the value of the license to be surrounded, 7,000, which meant that 1,400 would be paid to the State for the facility.

 

From the http://www.kentlive.news 25 April, 2009.

There was great concern at the loss of several inns in the town including the "Rose and Crown," "Odd Fellows Arms" and the pending closure of the "Holmesdale Tavern," all in the High Street.

 

Closed and demolished, date as yet known and replaced by modern retail shops.

 

LICENSEE LIST

SMITH Thomas 1874-81+ (age 40 in 1881Census)

SMITH James 1913+

DURRANT Thomas J 1918-22+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/HolmesdaleTavern.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/holmesdale.html

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML