DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Peckham East and West, January, 2019.

Page Updated:- Friday, 04 January, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1852

(Name from)

Swan

Open 2019+

Village Green

West Peckham

01622 812271

http://www.swan-on-the-green.co.uk/

https://www.whatpub.com/swan-on-the-green

Swan

Above photo, date unknown.

Swan 1930

Above photo circa 1930, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Swan 1950

Above photo circa 1950, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Swan postcard

Above postcard, date unknown.

Swan 2009

Above photo 2009 by Oast House Archives Creative Commons Licence.

Swan 2017

Above photo August 2017, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Swan on the Green sign 2018

Above sign 2018.

 

The pub was referred to as the "White Swan" in the Pigot's Directory of 1828. I am assuming this is the same pub, but do not know when the colour disappeared.

In 2000 the pub was altered to include its own brewery and is brewing its own beer called the "Swan Micro Brewery."

 

From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 7 September 1861.

Hadlow.

An inquest was held last week, at the "Swan Inn," West Peckham, before J. N. Dudlow, Esq., and a respectable jury, of whom William Phillips, Esq., of Park Farm, Hadlow, was foreman, to enquire into the cause of the death of Robert Parks, under the circumstances mentioned in our last. The evidence taken by the coroner clearly prove that the unfortunate young man Parks had been stabbed by Charles Lamb, and from the injuries he thereby received he died. The coroner having somewhat lucidly explained the law of the matter, the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against Charles Lamb, who is already in custody on the charge.

 

Information from their web site accessed 10 October 2016.

SWAN AD 1526

The Inn  known by the name and sign of the "Swan" was built in the 17th year of Henry VIII, in 1526, though the original structure has been altered to at different intervals of time, particularly during the reign of George III, and again during that of Victoria.

The house was first licensed in 1685, when in that year one Joshua Cowell, a miller of some repute of this parish was granted a lease and a licence to sell ales from the premises, which at this date bore no title other than that of an ale house and that the said Cowell was of that house.

Before this, for many years, the property with five others nearby had formed a considerable farm estate, belonging to the Eldridge estate of Tonbridge parish, whose family and descendants held title to it and many other lands and properties in around that town and within the town and adjoining parishes of Maidstone. By 1638, over a century after its founding the property had expanded to include a bakery, adjoining orchard and stables. In that year the property, with other dwellings, was split from the estate of Eldridge and disposed of by sale to one Israel Scoones, a corn miller and merchant of Yalding parish. By the 1680s the property was in the hands of Miss Isobella Scoones, spinster and it was her in the year 1685, who granted a lease to the aforementioned, Joshua Cowell.

 In 1712, the house, still restricted to one license was kept by Jacob Cowell, baker and by this date had become to be commonly called the "Millers Arms." By 1740 only a widow Cowell is recorded here at the "Millers Arms, on the Green" and like her husband she is recorded as a "Baker and Ayle Keyper." In 1763, the year of Naomi Cowell's death, the house with adjoining dwellings was purchased by one Stephen Walter innkeeper and brewer of Hunton from one Richard Scoones. At this date works were carried out to the property, which it appears, consisted of enlarging by the incorporation of adjoining dwellings. For many years Stephen Walter had kept an inn at Nettlestead called the "Kentish Hoy."

In 1771, he sold the "Millers Arms" with adjoining bakery to one Thomas Oliver, miller, who two years later was granted a full licence for the house and upon being so registered it under the sign of the "Honest Tom" the origin of which dates back to the Romans, who were cheated by a Saxon Miller. As a punishment the unfortunate miller was deprived of his ears. Other millers not wishing to befall the same fate, hung signs outside their establishments stating that they were honest millers and there originated the sign. Thomas Oliver perverted this by introducing a Christian name to the sign.

Thomas Oliver kept the house until his death in 1808, whereafter his wife Mary took over until her own death in 1815, upon the event of which, her son James took over, staying until his death in 1852. In that year the "Honest Tom" was purchased by Richard Gilbert brewer of Wateringbury and after alterations were again carried out to the property, the house was registered under the title of the "Swan." At this date it was kept by Thomas Merriman a wheelwright of East Peckham.

Merrimen kept the house and continued to ply his original trade until his death in 1863, whereafter by widows consent his wife Louisa was granted the license. She stayed until 1866 handing over in that year to Thomas Woollett wheelwright. At this date mention is still made of the adjoining bakery. It was operated by Thomas Tallow. However by 1875, when Woollett gave up the licence to one William Acott, no mention is made of a bakery or again from that date, so one must assume that it ceased to function around that period.

William Acott kept the house until 1887, when he was succeeded by William Watson Cooke, fruit grower. He handed over in 1894 to John Henry Burr, also a fruit grower, who remained until 1908 during the course of his stay here he had built up a reputable trade, selling fruit. In that year of 1900 he was succeeded by Henry James Collingbourne, he in 1914 to William Casson, and he in 1918 by Maurice Chives. At this date the house was owned by Style and Winch Brewery of Maidstone. In 1929, one Harry Carter Howard kept the "Swan" staying until 1934 when it was succeeded by Oliver Prouse and he in 1936, by Harry John Pratt, who remained for many years to follow. In the 1960s the "Swan" was kept by Alex Conquer and today kept by Brian Ralph Coggan.

 

I am told that the pub is now (2018) operating under the name of the "Swan on the Green."

 

LICENSEE LIST

TIBBY William 1828-32+ (Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34 White Swan)

MERRIMAN Thomas (also Wheelwright) 1853-63 dec'd

TEBAY Thomas 1858?

ACOTT William 1862?

MERRIMAN Louisa (widow) 1863-66

WOOLLETT Thomas (also wheelwright) 1866-75

ACOTT William 1875-87

BELL Edgar Henry to Feb/1881+ (age 27 in 1881Census) Sevenoaks Chronicle

KNELL John Lawrence Feb/1881+ Sevenoaks Chronicle

COOK William Watson 1887-94 (also fruit grower age 37 in 1891Census)

BURR Henry J 1894-1901 (also farmer age 56 in 1901Census)

COLLINGBOURNE Henry James 1901-1914

CASSON William 1914-18

MORGAN Alfred 1918

CHIVES Maurice 1918-29

HOWARD Henry Carter 1929-34

PROUSE Oliver 1934-36

PRATT Harry John 1936-38+

CONQUER Alex 1960+

COGGAN Brian Ralph 2016+

http://pubshistory.com/Swan.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

CensusCensus

Sevenoaks ChronicleSevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML