Sort file:- Sheerness, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest ????

Oxford Music Hall

Latest Apr 1870

West Street

Blue Town



I am not sure whether this venue ever had a beer license, but the following article in 1870 is certainly very interesting.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 2 April 1870.


On Friday evening, about seven o'clock an alarming fire broke out in an upper room in the dwelling-house at the "Oxford Music Hall," Blue Town. The proprietor, Mr. G. Atkinson, fancied he perceived a smell of something burning, and communicated his suspicions to a musician employed on the premises named Joy. A search was at once instituted, and on proceeding upstairs it was found that the first bed-room was in flames, which were beginning to blaze “fast and furious.” Almost the first to render assistance were Mr. A. W. Howe, of the "Fountain Hotel," Mr. J. Havard, of the "Ship," and others of the more immediate neighbours. Very soon afterwards there also arrived strong parties of sailors and marines from the Royal Naval Barracks, and of Royal Artillery from the garrison, together with all the available men of the metropolitan police force doing duty in the dockyard, and of the county force stationed in the town. There being an abundant supply and force of water obtainable from the dock-yard, engines were not really required. The 50-horse power engine in the dockyard was soon set to work, the hose being led through the wall opposite the burning building. The force was terrific, and immense volumes of water were poured on the flames. The Royal Artillery hose rendered efficient aid; and several men in the employ of the Local Board under the direction of Mr. L. Mudd, the surveyor, were also actively engaged. The Local Board standpipes were found to be utterly useless, there not being sufficient force to send the water over a 6ft. wall. The flames, however, continued to rage with unabated fury for a considerable time, and were plainly seen making their way through a portion of the roof. Volunteers were now wanted to ascend to the roof, so as to direct the hose on to the burning rafters and beams. One of the first to mount was Commander Silverlock, whose gallantry throughout was conspicuous. He held the pipe while on the roof, until the burning portion at length fell in, by which the water had a better chance of doing its work in the interior of the building. The effect was soon apparent, for the flames gradually succumbed, and in about two hours and a half were apparently extinguished. The household furniture, utensils, stock in trade, &c., were insured in the North British Mercantile Insurance Company; the house was insured in the Eagle Fire Office.



ATKINSON G Mr to Apr/1870


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-