Sort file:- Chatham, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1828-

Queen's Head

Latest ????

Chatham Garrison


Queen's Head outing

Above photo, date unknown, showing regulars being taken on a trip by Pilcher's Coaches.


Only reference to this pub to date is from the Pigot's Directory of 1832, and it gives the address of Chatham Garrison, and is listed under the towns "Chatham, Brompton, Gillingham."

I will be adding the historical information when I find or are sent it, but this project is a very big one, and I do not know when or where the information will come from.

All emails are answered.

Further research has found the following.


From the Kentish Gazette, 4 April 1837.


March 20, Mr. John Moss Lee, Landlord of the "Queen's Head" public-house, near the Church, Chatham.


South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 13 June 1854.

Fatal accident to two Seaman on board H.M.S. Wellesley.

On Tuesday evening last T. Hills, Esq,. the coroner, held an inquest at the "Queen's Head" public house, Chatham, on the bodies of James Nugent and John Beale, two able seamen on board H.M.S. Wellesley, the new guard-ship of ordinary at Chatham, who came by their deaths the previous afternoon, the particulars of which melancholy occurrence will be gathered from the evidence. The jury having viewed the bodies of the unfortunate men, which lay at Melville Hospital, the following evidence was adduced:-

Mr. Charles Gahan said:- I am master of H.M.S. Wellesley, on board which the two deceased men were able seamen. On Monday afternoon, about 5 o'clock, they were sent aloft to put a parrel on the maintopsail yard, and, whilst doing so, although they were very good seamen, they very incautiously unleashed the yard. The deceased men, in pushing it forward, must have pushed the yard too far off the cap, as it immediately canted and threw them over from the yard to the starboard gangway, killing them on the spot. I know of nothing giving way, though the fourth lift was gone, but I cannot say whether that was done by the jerk or not. The yard had a lashing round it before the deceased men went aloft, and immediately after they cast it off, which was not necessary, said Mr. Gardener, the boatswain, had cautioned them not to do so. Both the deceased men were first rate seamen.

William Henry Hayman, an able seaman on board the Wellesley, deposed that it was close to the deceased men when they fell. He had been sent aloft with them to put the parrel on the yard, and they immediately commenced by casting off the lashing. Witness and the others had succeeded in taking the lashing off, when they went on to the portmain-block, and whilst there witness saw the yard go with Nugent and Beale on it. Nothing whatever broke, and it was solely in consequence of the lashing being cast off which made it go. No one has given directions for the lashing to be cast off, but as it was it was very awkward, and witness and the others could not put the parrel into its place without casting it off. Witness could not say whether the lift gave way or not, as he was in the act of attending to the lashing when the yard went, and was up on the lift block.

Buy a juror:- Witness assisted in taking the lashing off, which was an incautious act, and nearly cost him his life. He had previously told James Nugent, one of the deceased, not to cast the lashing off.

Edward Garman said he was an ordinary seamen on board the Wellesley. On the previous afternoon he was ordered aloft by the boatswain to assist in putting a parrel on. The last witness and himself tried to put the parrel on over the lashing before Nugent and beale came up, but they desired witness to come away, as they knew more about it than he did. The last witness and the deceased men then began casting off the lashing, when Mr. Gardener called out to them not to do so, but witness did not think they heard him, as they still continued doing it. The last witness advised them not to cast it off, as he was afraid of it, but Nugent said there was no fear in taking it off. Directly he had said that the yard forced itself forward over the cap and carried Nugent and Beale with it. Witness tried to grasp Nugent by the leg, but was too late. He could not say whether the deceased pushed the yard off, or whether it forced itself off. He saw nothing break.

William Hutchinson Bulkeley Jones, M.D., said he was on board H.M.S. Poictiers, 74, on Monday afternoon, when he saw a boat row ashore, apparently containing two wounded men. He immediately landed and accompanied them to Melville Hospital. On examining them he found that Nugent had received an extensive fracture of the skull with a brain protruding; there was a fracture of both thighs and arms. The deceased Beale had his lower extremities fractured, and had also received several injuries to the spine. Both of them were killed instantaneously.

This being the whole of the evidence, the coroner said the question the jury would have to consider was whether there had been any negligence on the part of any one, or whether the deceased met with their death by pure accident. He was aware that had been rumours circulated in Chatham that there had been great negligence in some quarters, but by means of the press the correct particulars will go forth to the public.

The foreman said he was aware of the rumours, and had therefore put certain questions to elucidate whether there had been any negligence on the part of any of the officers or not, but from what the witnesses had stated there was no blame to be attached to any of those gentlemen. The jury immediately returned a verdict of "Accidental death."



ALDIS William 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

LEE John Moss to 20/Mar/1837 dec'd


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-