DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1864-

Times Tavern

Latest ????

(Name to)

8 (47) Grosvenor Road

Royal Tunbridge Wells

Times Tavern 1965

Above photo, circa 1965. Kindly supplied by Mike White.

Times Tavern 1977

Above photo kindly sent by Sean carter, showing part of the pub in 1977 to the right of the photo.

Times sign 1988

Above sign, 1988.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

 

Written By: Edward James Gilbert-Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. 23 October, 2017.

THE TIMES TAVERN ON GROSVENOR ROAD.

The Times was a beerhouse/tavern located on the north-east corner of Grosvenor Road and Basinghall Lane at No. 8 Grosvenor Road, within a stone’s throw of the "Grosvenor Hotel"/Tavern at 5 Ways (No. 1 Calverley Road.) This part of town was well served by a number of pubs in the area, some would say too many pubs, especially those of the Temperance Movement who often complained about the number of pubs in the town.

The pub sign depicts the grim reaper holding an hour glass, thus the connection to “Time” from which the pub derived its name. Locals and visitors to the town seeking a pint no doubt spent a lot of time in the pub, a place where one could relax and hear all the local news and gossip. As was then case with most, if not all taverns in the town, some who visited it drank to excess and many accounts were found in the local newspaper about the "Times" in connection to brawls, and thefts that took place on the premises and some patrons being arrested for being drunk and causing a disturbance.

This tavern also served as a meeting place for various organizations including the Tendon and Provincial Yearly Dividing Friendly Society. Newspaper accounts of the 1930’s reported on events pertaining to the Licensed Victuallers Darts League in which the "Times" competed.

Times Tavern

Dating back to at least 1864 this tavern has been in operation until it, like many other buildings in the area, was closed and demolished around 1985 to make way for the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre. Since circa 1871 the "Times" has been run by many proprietors and in this article I present information about them.

LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION.

The "Times" beerhouse/tavern was located on the north-east corner of Grosvenor Road and Basinghall Lane at No. 8 Grosvenor Road, within a stone’s throw of the Grosvenor Hotel/Tavern at 5 Ways (No. 1 Calverley Road. Its location is shown below on a 1909 os map which has been highlighted in red.

1909 map

The best description of the building is by way of a selection of photographs and postcard views of Grosvenor Road which are shown below.

Times 1911

A postcard dated 1911 of the King George procession passing the Times on the right.

Times 1960

A 1960’s view from a Valentine Postcard.

The 1911 census gave the "Times" at 8 Grosvenor Road, being 8 rooms and run by Sydney Percy Thair. It was interesting to note that at the time of the 1891 census that the address of the "Times" was given as 47 Grosvenor Road when in that year it was run by Arthur Pryke. Whether the location of the pub had changed between 1891 and 1911 or whether there was an error in the census in recording its address was not determined but is was also noted from the 1901 census that the address was given as 8 Grosvenor Road and run by the same Arthur Pryke.

The pub was closed and demolished around 1985 to make way for the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre.

Reliable information was not found for several of the licensed victuallers on this list and in some cases only a newspaper announcement was found regarding the transfer of licenses. Given below is the information that was available.

 

WIN PERCH.

The Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser of 27 March 27, 1864 reported that “Mr Win Perch of The Times Tavern/beerhouse was summoned for keeping his house open for the sale of beer during prohibited hours on the night of the 3rd…..” The Maidstone Journal of April 15,1867 reported on a case of an umbrella that had been stolen from the "Times Tavern," the property of William Blaver. A John Foord of Speldhurst had borrowed the umbrella from Mr Blaver and left it in the tavern but when he returned all trace of it was gone.

 

WILLIAM FAIRCLOTH.

The following references were found about him in the local newspapers. Maidstone Telegraph 8 July, 1871. A temporary license was granted to William Faircloth for the "Times Tavern."

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 5 January, 1881 reported on a license transfer “from Mr W. Faircloth to Mr A. Dennirgion of The Times”.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 1 and 3 December, 1880 and also 7 January, 1881 announced a license transfer “from Mr W. Faircloth to Mr Alfred Denmeylou”.

 

William Faircloth was born 1839 in Leigh, Kent. He was baptised 10 October, 1839 at Leigh, Kent and given as the son of Thomas Faircloth (born 1808) and Mary Ann Faircloth, nee Avery (1816-1851). William was one of five children born to Thomas and Mary but Thomas remarried and had another seven children.

In 1866 William married Elizabeth (1848-1892) in Tunbridge Wells and had a son William Oscar Faircloth who was born 1889. Elizabeth died in Tunbridge Wells in 1892.

The 1881 census, taken at 22 Goods Station Road, Tunbridge Wells gave William’s occupation as "formerly inn keeper." With him was his wife Elizabeth, given as born 1848 in Brenchley, Kent and his son William Oscar given as born 1868 in Leigh who was attending school. The 1891 census, taken at 4 Camden Road, Tunbridge Wells gave William as a "confectioner employer." With him, and working as a "confectioner assistant" was his wife Elizabeth; their son William and one servant. The 1901 census, taken at 5 Garden Street, Tunbridge Wells, gave William as a widower and living as a lodger with the Brown family. His son William was also living there as a boarder.

William senior died in Tunbridge Wells in the 1st quatre of 1915. No probate record was found for him. He was buried in the Tunbridge Wells Borough Cemetery on 26 January, 1915.

 

ALFRED DENNIRGION.

In the above account about William Faircloth I gave the only references to this gentleman who’s name was given in the local newspaper variously as Alfred Dennirgion/Denmeylou/Dennirgton, and due the uncertainty of the correct spelling of his name no other information was found for him. References to in as a licensee of the "Times" were found in the period of 1880-1882.

 

ROBERT HOWARD.

Nothing definitive was found about this gentleman apart from a reference to him in the Kent and Sussex Courier 24 June, 1883 regarding a transfer of license for the "Times" from Robert Howard to Arthur Pryke.

 

ARTHUR PRYKE.

References to him were found in newspaper accounts and census records from 1883 to 1901.

Arthur Pryke’ birth was registered in the 4th quatre of 1856 in London. Arthur was one of at least 3 know children of Richard Pryke, born 1818 in Gislington, Suffolk and Mary Ann Pryke, born 1814 in London. Arthur was baptised 8 November, 1857 in Suffolk with his parents given as Richard and Mary Ann Pryke.

The 1861 census, taken at Apsey Green in Framlingham, Suffolk gave Richard Pryke as a shoemaker. With him was his wife Mary Ann, born 1814 in London and their children Richard, age 18, a blacksmith apprentice; George, age 11, a carpenters apprentice; Emily, age 9, scholar; and Arthur, age 6 a scholar. Also there was Richards widowed father William Henry Pryke, age 83 an agricultural labourer.

The 1871 census, taken at Apsey Green in Framlingham, Suffolk gave Richard Pryke as a shoemaker. With him was his wife Mary Ann and their children Emily, age 20 and Arthur, age 15 who was working as a carpenters apprentice.

At the time of the 1881 census Arthur had left home and was living at 4 Elizabeth Cottage on Field Road in Westham, Essex with the Grover family and working for Josiah Grover as a joiner.

In 1881 Arthur married Emily, who was born 1875/1877 in Ipswich, Suffolk. The 1891 census, taken at the “Times Tavern 47 Grosvenor Road” Tunbridge Wells, gave Arthur Pryke as a beer retailer and carpenter. With him was his wife Emily and their daughter Florence who was born 1882 in Tunbridge Wells .Also there was his parents Richard and Mary Ann, both living on own means, and a cousin Rose Burman, age 35 who was working as a milliner.

The 1901 census, taken at The Times 8 Grosvenor Road, Tunbridge Wells, gave Arthur as a beer house keeper employer. With him was his wife Emily; his daughter Florence and his widowed father Richard who was living on own means. Arthur's mother Mary Ann had passed away in Tunbridge Wells and was buried 23 November,1894. Arthur’s wife passed away in Tunbridge Wells in 1905 and in the 1st quatre of 1906 he married Amy Luxford in Tunbridge Wells.

The 1911 census, taken at 33 High Street, Rusthall gave Arthur Pryke as a publican on own account. He was given as married 5 years (1906) and that he had no children (This is a reference to his 1906 marriage to Amy Luxford ). He was living in a public house of 8 rooms. With him was his widowed sister Eliza Hibbert, age 65 and one servant. Amy Luxford had been born 1881 in Northiam, Sussex and at the time of the 1901 census she was working as a domestic cook and living with her father and other members of her family at the "Railway Bell Hotel" on the north east corner of Grove Hill Road and Mount Pleasant Road (a building which was later purchased and demolished by the Weeks family to allow for expansion of their department store). William Luxford in 1901 was the licensed victualler of this hotel.

Probate records gave Arthur Pryke of Kenikworth, Hastings Road Pembury when he died 6 December,1928. The executor of his 4,177 pound estate was Florence Mary Anne Pryke, his spinster daughter, and Ernest Harpum, manager. Arthur was buried in Pembury.

The newspaper accounts that refer to Arthur Pryke and the "Times" were Kent & Sussex Courier 12 December,1884. The Tunbridge Wells Society… The secretary reported that proceedings had been taken against a women called Charlotte Ann Bryant for disorderly conduct and assaulting Mr Arthur Pryke, landlord of the "Times Tavern…"

Kent & Sussex Courier 24 June, 1892...” Daniel Vinall was deposed and said he was in the "Times Tavern" and that the defendant was not there more than 10 minutes. Arthur Pryke, landlord of the "Times" deposed that the defendant was in his house more than 10 minutes…..”

Kent & Sussex Courier of 24-26 October, 1888 gave “A Naughty Boy… Glass valued at 2s 6d was broken at the "Times" on Grosvenor Road. Mr W. T. Hammond appeared to prosecute on behalf of the Licensed Victuallers Association. Arthur Pryke, landlord of the "Times Tavern" deposed that on Saturday afternoon the prisoner was in his premises…”

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 17 January, 1884 reported from the Petty Sessions that a Tim Smith and Joan Smith were charged with being drunk and disorderly at the "Times Tavern" and refused to quit the tavern when requested to do so by landlord Mr Pryke.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 5 April,1892 reported on the theft of carpenters tools and a postal money order at the "Times Tavern."

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 2 September, 1898 gave “To Leave Town…. Meads was got hold of by the throat and was down but the landlord of the "Times Tavern" came to his assistance. Mr Pryke, landlord of the "Times" deposed that Sunday evening he saw Meade and the constable struggling on the ground….”

Kent & Sussex Courier 16 January,1884 Petty Sessions… From the "Times Tavern," Grosvenor Road was stolen silver and bronze coins, the property of Mr Arthur Pryke, The case was remanded in order to test the truth of the defendants statement that he was in London at the time of the robbery”.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 5-7 April, 1893 reported on a brawl at the "Times" on Grosvenor Road.

Kent & Sussex Courier of 24 June, 1883 Petty Sessions referred to a licence change from Mr Robert Howand to Mr Artur Pryke of the "Times Tavern."

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 11 January, 1884 reported on the theft of a cigar box at the "Times Tavern," a box which contained money, the property of the landlord Mr Pryke.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 9 January, 1885 reported that John Smith was charged for disorderly conduct at the "Times Tavern" and fined 8 pounds (shillings?).

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 21 December, 1887 reported that on November 27th Sarah Ann, wife of Arthur Pyke, died age 30.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 3 February, 1893 reported from the Petty Sessions that a man was arrested at the "Times" for being drunk and resisting arrest.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 22 June, 1892 reported that there was a dispute between customers at the "Times" and noted that the landlord at the time was Arthur Pryke.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 27 January, 1883 reported from the Petty Sessions that there was another case of disorderly conduct and a refusal to quit the premises of the "Times Tavern."

 

FREDERICK JOHN SANTER.

Frederick John Santer is referred to at the "Times Tavern" in records of 1902 to 1908. The only newspaper account referring to him was the Kent & Sussex Courier of 10 November, 1905 in which an advertisement read “Mr Santer of the "Times Tavern" seeks a respectable young woman is assist in the house”.

Frederick was born 7 April, 1869 at Snargate, Dover, Kent, one of six children born to licensed victualler Henry Santer (1841-1915) and Emma Pascoe Jane Santer, nee Jewell (1840-1907).

At the time of the 1871 census he was living with his parents and siblings at the "Mitre Inn" on Snargate Street, Dover where his father ran the pub. The family was still living there in 1874 but by 1877 they moved to Southborough where Frederick’s brother Albert Sydney Santer (1877-1927) was born 14 December,1877.

At the time of the 1881 census the Santer family were living at the "Grosvenor Tavern" at 1 Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells where Henry Santer was the licensed victualler.

At the time of the 1891 census the Santer family were living at the "Camden Hotel," 55 Calverley Road, a pub that was located on the north-east corner of Camden Road and Calverley Road.

On 20 September,1893 Frederick married Jane Parsons (1868-1899). At the time of the marriage Frederick’s occupation was given as “painter” and was living at the "Camden Hotel."

When Frederick’s wife Jane died on 26 November, 1899 they were living at 27 Western Road, Tunbridge Wells. She was buried in the Tunbridge Wells Cemetery on 1 December, 1899. Frederick and Jane had no children.

Fanny WoodOn 25 December, 1901 Frederick married Fanny Wood (photo right) (1876-1964) at St John’s Church, Tunbridge Wells. Frederick and Fanny had the following children

Charles Henry Santer (1902-1960)

Frederick William Santer (1905-1976)

Walter James Santer (1906-1986)

Florence May Santer (1908-1936)

Alexander Edward Santer (1911-1997).

At the time of the marriage Frederick was a licensed victualler living at 25 William Street, Tunbridge Wells.

Birth records of his children (1902, 1905, 1906, 1908) show that these children were all born at the "Times Tavern" on Grosvenor Road. The youngest child Alexander, born 1911, was born at the "Red Lion Hotel," 66 St John’s Road, Tunbridge Wells.

Frederick was the licensed victualler of the "Times" and then took over the "Red Lion" and was given as the licensed victualler of the "Red Lion" in the 1911 census where he was with his wife Fanny and his five children.

Fanny Wood had been born in Tunbridge Wells in 1876, one of six children born to Charles Wood (1844-1903) and Sarah Ann Wood (1840-1915). Her father was found in the 1881 and 1891 census as the licensed victualler of the "Good Intent" at 51-55 St John’s Road. At the time of the 1901 census Fanny was working as a parlour maid to Edwin Casper, a lodging house keeper at 12 Mount Ephraim Road.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 10 June, 1908 reported that a deserter of the 1st Btn Scots Guards was arrested at the "Times Tavern" by the police.

Sometime before the 1911 census Frederick and his family moved to Hastings, Sussex. His father Henry Santer had died 14 September, 1915 at 82 Stephens Road, Tunbridge Wells. The 1918 directory listed Frederick as the landlord of the "Lord Warden" pub in Hastings.

On 5 July, 1949 at 63 Prospect Road, Southborough Frederick passed away. He was buried in the Southborough Cemetery having died of heart failure, Hypertension and Arterialslerosis. His wife Fanny died of peritonitis 30 December, 1964 at 19 Beavale, Ferdinand Street, St Pancras, London and was buried in the St Pancras Cemetery 7 January, 1965.

 

SIDNEY AND ALICE MAUD THAIR.

Records placing Sidney and his wife at the "Times Tavern" were the 1911 census, his WW1 service records and newspaper accounts covering the period of 1911 to 1916. Sidney’s name is given variously in records as Sidney or Sydney.

His birth was registered as Sydney Percy Thair in the 1st quarter of 1883 in Brighton, Sussex. The 1891 census, taken in Brighton gave Sydney P Thair living with his parents Alfred (born 1852 in Clapham, Sussex) and Emma Thair, born 1855 in Dartford, Kent. Also in the home was his brother Alfred, age 9 and Minnie, age 3. Alfred Thair was given as a joiner.

The 1901 census, taken at 29 Post Hall Place gave Alfred as a joiner and carpenter worker. With him was his wife Emma; his son Sydney P, a joiners apprentice; his daughter Minnie, age 13 in school; and his daughter Evelyyn E. Thair, age 6 in school.

On May 30,1909 “Sidney Percy Thair” married Alice Maud Lockyer, a spinster and daughter of Frederick Lockyer, a dealer. Sidney’s father was given as Alfred Thair a joiner. At the time of the marriage Sidney was a bachelor with the occupation of joiner living in Tunbridge Wells at 116 St James Road. Alice was living at that time at 23 Camberwell Green. The marriage took place at the parish church in Camberwell.

The 1911 census, taken at The Times Tavern, 8 Grosvenor Road gave “Sydney P. Thair” as the beerhouse keeper on own account. With him was his wife Alice Maud Thair, given as born 1881 at Peckham, Surrey who was assisting her husband in the business. There was also one visitor there in what was described as premises of 4 rooms and that they had no children.

Military records show that "Sydney Percy Thair" enlisted for service in 1915 and at that time he was the landlord of the "Times Tavern" on Grosvenor Road. He was a private (213239) with the Royal Engineers and was attested 9 December, 1915. His family members were given as his wife Alice Maud Thair and one son.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 27 October, 1916 reported that “Mr Thair of the "Times Tavern" applied for further exemption on the grounds that negotiations for the transfer of his business had fallen through at the last moment”.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 17 November, 1916 reported the license of the "Times" had been transferred from Mr Thair to his wife “on her husband having joined the army”.

The 1918 Kelly directory gave the listing “Mrs Alice Maud Thair, 8 Grosvenor Road, Beer retailer”.

Probate records gave Sydney Percy Thair of 1 Southwood Avenue, Tunbridge Wells when he died 28 December, 1952 at 6 Mill Road, Eastbourne, Sussex. The executor of his 8,168 estate was his widow Alice Maud Thair.

 

W. R CHAPPELL AND A. WAKE.

Information about these two gentleman is lacking and somewhat confusing as it does not coincide with the information given about the Thair occupancy of the the "Times."

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 8 December, 1916 referred to a licence change “from Mr. W. R. Chappell to Mr. A. Wake, the "Times Tavern."

 

HERBERT JUPP.

Herbert is found in various records, mostly newspaper accounts, as the licensed victualler of the the "Times Tavern" through the period of 1927 to 1937 but it appears from the following notice in the Kent & Sussex Courier of 15 January, 1937 that he renewed his license at this pub. It stated “Notice that I Herbert Jupp, now residing at the "Times Tavern" Grosvenor Road Tunbridge Wells beer retailer do hereby give notice that it is my intention to apply for a license…"

The Sevenoaks Chronicle of February 28,1936 and along with several notices in the Kent & Sussex Courier throughout the 1930’s reported on the “Licensed Victuallers Darts League” in which the "Times" had a good team.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 15 July, 1927 reported that a man had died at the "Times Tavern" from a nasty bang or wicked fall. Mr Jupp, the landlord reported that the customer had had only 3 bitters”.

Herbert Jupp’s birth was registered in Tunbridge Wells in the 2nd quarter of 1891. He was baptised 24 May, 1881 in Tunbridge Wells and given as the son of Edward and Anna Maria Jupp.

The 1901 census, taken at 13 Avon Street, Tunbridge Wells gave Edward and Anna Maria Jupp and their five children (including Herbert) and that Edward Jupp was a police constable.

The 1911 census, taken at 12 Avon Street, Tunbridge Wells gave Edward Jupp as a police constable born 1862 in Halling, Kent. With him in premises of 5 rooms was his wife Anna Maria Jupp, born 1864 in East Peckham, Kent the following children Sarah, age 23, born West Malling, a dressmaker worker; Maria Jane, age 21, born in Halling, Kent, a cook domestic worker; Herbert Jupp, born Tunbridge Wells, a coachsmith assistant; William, age 15, born Tunbridge Wells, a boot repair servant; Violet Jupp, age 12, in school. The census recorded that Edward Jupp had been married 28 years and that although he and his wife had 10 children only 5 were still living.

Herbert Jupp served in WW1 having been attested 4 June,1915. He was living at the time of his attestation on James Street Road, Tunbridge Wells and served as a private (103372) with the Army Service Corps. He was at home from 4 June, 1915 to 13 September, 1915 but served with the expeditionary force in France from 18 September, 1915. His military records show that he was discharged before the end of a war due to a disability. His next of kin was given as his father Edward Jupp.

In December 1920 Herbert married Emily Elsie Hutson in Tunbridge Wells. Whether any children resulted from this marriage was not determined. Probate records gave Herbert Jupp of 24 Nelson Road in Hawkenbury, Tunbridge Wells when he died 9 September, 1949 at the Hammersmith Hospital in Hammersmith, London. The executor of his 659 estate was his widow Emily Elsie Jupp.

 

THE POST JUPP ERA.

Two gentlemen are identified as being the licensed victuallers of the "Times Tavern" after Herbert Jupp left the pub, namely Mrs Tompsons father from about 1942 to 1947 and then a N. W. Wood who was there in 1949. The only information about them is given below.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 28 January, 1949 reported on the death of an ex-marine of whom it was stated “He will be remembered by many customers of the "Times Tavern" on Grosvenor Road which was kept by Mrs Thompson’s father until 2 years ago. The funeral is at the Borough Cemetery today”.

The Sevenoaks Chronicle of 11 October, 1940 reported “The Spitfire Fund” with contributions made to it including 1 15s. 2d. by the "Times Tavern." The Spitfire Fund was established to in the town to raise money to cover the cost of building a Spitfire fighter for the war effort. The fund was successful and two Spitfires bearing the name on the side “Royal Tunbridge Wells” were built.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 11 October, 1940 reported on fundraising for the Veterans Association and that 15s. 2d. was received for it from the "Times Tavern." Other pubs also contributed to this fund.

The Kent & Sussex Courier of 11 March, 1949 reported on the annual licence renewals for pubs in the town and that “a full license was given to Mr N. W. Wood, "Times Tavern."

Who ran the "Times Tavern" after 1949 up to the time of its final closure and demolition in 1985 was not established.

 

LICENSEE LIST

PERCH Win 1864+

FAIRCLOTH William 1871-80

DENNINGTON/DENMEYLOU/DENNIRGTON William 1880-82

HOWARD Robert 1882-June/83 Kent and Sussex Courier

PRYTE Arthur June/1883-1901 Kent and Sussex Courier

SANTER Frederick John 1902-08+

THAIR  Sidney Percy 1911-15

THAIR Alice Maud (widow) 1915-16

CHAPPELL W R 1916

WAKE A 1916+

JUPP Herbert 1927-37+

THOMPSON Mrs father (name not known) 1942-47

WOOD N W 1949+

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/timestavern.html

 

Kent and Sussex CourierKent and Sussex Courier

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML