Sort file:- Faversham, September, 2023.

Page Updated:- Monday, 04 September, 2023.


Earliest 1847-

Queen's Adelaide

Latest 1853+

Tanner's Green



Only the one instant found of this one so far and that was when it was being sold, so could well have been the end of this.

I also don't know of a Tanner's Green in Faversham, so local knowledge required thanks.


Kentish Gazette, 17 August 1847.

To Brewers, Publicans, and Others. FAVERSHAM, KENT.


AT the "Dolphin Inn," FAVERSHAM, on WEDNESDAY, the 25th day of August, 1847, at Two for Three o’clock in the afternoon, subject to such conditions of sale as will be then and there produced and read:—

All that FREEHOLD MESSUAGE or Public House, called the "Queen Adelaide," with the yard, garden, and premises thereto belonging, situate at or near Tanner's Green, in the Town of FAVERSHAM, and now in the occupation of George Scoones as a weekly tenant.

For further particulars apply to Messrs. Shepherd and Tassell, solicitors, Faversham, or to the Auctioneer there.


Southeastern Gazette, 12 April 1853.


The monthly petty sessions for the borough were held on Wednesday last, before the Mayor and J. Bate, Esq., when the following cases were heard and disposed of.

George Scoones, landlord of the "Queen Adelaide," appeared to answer complaint of William Fowler, police-constable, for having kept his house open on Sunday morning, the 6th March, until half-past two. Fined 2 and costs.

The same defendant was also charged with keeping his house open until half-past four on Sunday morning, the 27th. March. Horatio Boys, police-constable, proved the case. Fined 2 and costs.

The same defendant was also charged with refusing to admit John Orpin, a constable, into his house, on the day named in the last conviction. Fined 10s. and costs. The defendant was allowed fourteen days for payment.


Southeastern Gazette, 5 July 1853.

George Scoones, landlord of the "Queen Adelaide," appeared at the borough sessions on Wednesday last, to answer two informations preferred against him by John Orpin, superintendent of police, the one for not admitting a constable into his house when requested to do so and the other for opening his house for the sale of beer and spirits before half-past twelve o’clock on Sunday, the 26th of June. William Fowler, one of the borough police, proved that on the night of the 19th June he went to defendant's house, after midnight, and knocked loud for admittance, but although he could hear people in the house, and the beer-engine going, no one came to the door.

John Taylor, another of the borough police, proved that on the morning of the 26th June, at about half-past two, he saw a person come out of Scoones’s house, and he appeared to be intoxicated.

Defendant denied hearing the constable knock on the 19th and on the 26th; this person who came out of his house had been assisting him in his books. A witness was called who proved this statement to be true.

Fined 5 for not admitting the constable, and the other case was dismissed.


Southeastern Gazette, 13 September 1853.


Wednesday last being the annual licensing meeting, all the old licenses were granted, with the exception of George Scoones’s, the "Queen Adelaide," and which the magistrates refused to renew.

New licenses were applied for by Mr. J. J. Rogers, of the "Phoenix Tavern," Mr. Bedwell, of the "North Kent," and Mr. S. Court, spirit merchant, all which were refused.




SCOONES George 1847-53+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-