Sort file:- Canterbury, October, 2019.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 October, 2019.


Earliest 1854-

Cambridge Arms

Latest 1864+

Northgate Street/10 Butchery Lane by 1891



Apparently this seems to be close to or the same premises as the "Butcher's Arms" and as I only have the licensing lists to go on, I cannot tell you a lot about this establishment at present. However, the dates do overlap and the names of the licensees are different, so this must have been a different pub, if that information is correct.


From the Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 6 May, 1854.


On Wednesday evening, Mr. Delasaux held an inquest at the "Cambridge Arms" in this city, on the body of William Seath, bum-bailiff, (bailiff who is empowered to collect debts or arrest debtors for non payment) who was found drowned in the river near Barton mill. It appeared that one Henry Cullen was with the deceased on Monday night at a quarter past eleven, and when they parted the latter proceeded homewards, being at thwe time somewhat "fresh" with drink. Edward Rabine, with whom he lodged, did not see him after Monday morning; and it is supposed that under the influence of liquor, and some depression of spirits occasioned by distress, he had jumped into the water; but in the absence of evidence to that effect, a verdict of "found drowned" was returned.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 12 April 1856.

Richard Blandford, 27, private in the 1st Royal Dragoons, charged with stealing the coat, value 50s. the property of John Curd, at St. Mary Northgate on the 9th February, 1856.

It appeared that the prisoner is the mess-waiter of the 6th dragoons, and left a coat in a chair in a room of the "Cambridge Arms," on the day in question. A piquet soon after came to see if all the men were gone; prisoner was among them; soon after, the coat was gone, and prisoner was proved to have offered it for sale.

The jury found the prisoner not guilty.

The Court then close at about three in the afternoon.


Kentish Gazette 19 May 1857.


On Thursday last this city was thrown into great consternation, by a report that at an early hour in the morning a lover had shot his sweetheart, and which report, we regret to state, proved but too true. It appears that for some two years and upwards a young couple—Stephen Fox, a plane maker, aged 23, and Mary Ann Hadley, 25, had walked together, and were engaged to be married; but in consequence of a little faux pas, the lass determined to have no further connumication with her lover, and accordingly forbade his going to her house, she residing with her father and mother who are in humble circumstances, in Cold-harbor Lane, Northgate. He went to the house both on Monday and Tuesday mornings, and after several unsuccessful visits obtained an interview, to get an explanation, as he alleged, of the unpleasantness that had arisen between them, and as he thought matters were made all right; but after they parted she sent him a note (which will be found in the inquest), alluding to the real cause of her estranged feelings, it appearing that he had lately had an illegitimate child sworn to him. Exasperated by his disappointment, he provided himself with a brace of pistols, powder, and balls, with which he determined to take the life of the unhappy girl, who he thought had deceived him. Having intimated his purpose to one Edward Gurney, a gardener, he thought it his duty to apprise the police, two of whom accordingly proceeded on Wednesday evening to apprehend the prisoner; but finding, on searching, nothing of a deadly nature, and that in fact he was perfectly cool and quiet, they hesitated, and more particularly when no one would give him in charge, and the mother of the deceased expressed a disinclination to appear before the magistrates in substantiation of her complaint, as she was informed would be necessary. Fox consequently was allowed to remain at large; but it would appear that the girl, apprehending he would carry his threats into execution, slept at the house of Gurney; and on emerging with him in the morning, and proceeding to her employment at a laundress’s named Carter, on the Sturry road, she was suddenly pounced upon and shot. The prison had either been out all night or was up at a very early hour in the morning, as he was seen at half-past four by a policeman, whom he has since stated that he should have shot had he spoken to him. Having been secured by Gurney and others after the fatal deed, the prisoner was given over to the police.


Shortly after ten an inquest was opened at the "Cambridge Arms," by Mr. T. T. Delasaux, when the evidence was taken as afterwards given before the magistrates, who held a special sitting at three in the afternoon. There were on the bench Mr. Alderman Brent (in the chair), Mr. Alderman Masters, Messrs. Holttum, Wootton, Philpott, and Love; and immediately on the opening of the doors there was such a rush as to endanger limb and life, and every part of the Guildhall was crowded to suffocation, while hundreds remained outside in a state of excitement.

Edward Gurney was the first witness called. He deposed that he was a gardener, residing in Northgate-street, and knew he prisoner at the bar. Had known him twelve months and upwards; and also knew Mary Ann Hadley, a single-woman, who resided in Cold Harbour-lane, with her father and mother, nearly opposite his house. She slept at his house last night, from a fear that she entertained of her young man, whom she saw at a quarter past eight last evening when he returned from his garden. He asked the prisoner then what was the matter with him, and he replied that he had been deceived by Miss Hadley. He (witness) told him not to mind about that, and then he asked him if he (witness) could keep a secret, and receiving an assurance in the affirmative, he said "will you upon your oath" and witness replied again "Yes." He then drew a pistol from his right hand pocket and said that should be her doom that night. Witness told him not to be so rash, but go in with him and have a wash, and they would have a glass together. He came to his house, and they went together to the "Cambridge Arms," opposite the Infantry Barracks, where he had a bottle of ginger beer and witness a pint of porter. While there Mrs. Hadley and her sister came in, and after he (witness) had had come conversation with Mrs. Hadley, the prisoner drank up his ginger beer and said "I’m off." Witness asked him to stop a minute as he had not drunk his porter; but he said "No — I'm off." Witness afterwards saw him down the street by his (witness’s) house - it was then about ten o’clock. Prisoner was then talking to Mrs. Hadley and her sister, and the former went towards the "Cambridge Arms" for a policeman, and the prisoner went down the street — Mrs. Hadley afterwards returned to her house, when prisoner came out of her gate. Witness went after him and persuaded him to go home, and said "what do you want — you’d better by half do what I tell you." To which he replied that he would not until he had seen the girl, and in the meantime Mrs. Hadley proceeded to the station-house for a policeman, and the prisoner went after her. Two policemen afterwards went to the house, and prisoner came out at the back. The (witness) saw no more of him till that morning, when about ten minutes before seven he came out as did the deceased who had slept at his house, and went in the direction of Vauxhall. It was in consequence of what the prisoner said to him the previous night that he accompanied her on leaving his house, and when opposite the last barrack gate, close to the forge, the prisoner came from the passage between the two buildings (the new barracks and the forge). He had a pistol in each hand, cocked and capped; and said to witness, "If you offer to resist I will shoot you as well as her." He said "Stephen, for God's sake don’t do so." The young woman said "Let me go." He stepped back and fired both pistols, and the woman, who was shot, fell to the hedge. Witness immediately took him, when he said he only wished he had some more of them or a revolver, as he would not have been taken as he was. A person named Muir accompanied them to the station. Witness then gave prisoner into the charge of Epps—having previously taken the pistols from him. When Epps took from him his things he said there were four bullets and he hoped the other two had gone through her. Witness did not afterwards see Mary Ann Hadley alive—he subsequently saw her body at Mr. Carter's, at Vauxhall, where she was in the habit of going to work.

James Epps, police constable—Was at the station-house at seven o’clock that morning, when the prisoner was brought in by last witness and another person named Muir, on a charge of shooting a young woman named Hadley, who washed for Mrs. Carter. Having taken the prisoner into the office, witness called the Superintendent, and he (witness) searched the prisoner, and found 1s. 01/2d. in copper on him, a powder horn, and port monnaie, in which were four bullets. Gurney said it was a bad job, and the prisoner replied there were six bullets in the port monnaie, and he hoped the other two had gone through her. In the same port monnaie were four percussion caps. He also found on him a stick which the prisoner said he had made for a ramrod. He further found on him a letter which the mother identified as having been written by her daughter. Witness asked him if he wanted any water to which he replied no—he was happy and comfortable. After Mr. Andrews had been to the station house and requested witness to keep a particular eye on the prisoner, he said "She had brought it on herself by deceiving him." He said they had known one another for nearly two years and a half and never had had a misword. They went together to St. Peter’s chapel twice on Sunday last, as it had been their practice. He had appointed to meet her at eight on Monday night, and went to her mother’s but could not see her. He also went on the Tuesday but could not see her. He had once before been deceived in love and he did not mean to be so again—she knew that he loved her; and that every thing had been arranged for them to go down into the shires at the beginning of June. He also made an observation that if the police had attacked him last night he should have shot them, being determined to do something. He said he did not think she had suffered much according to what the doctor had stated. Witness asked him if she fell from the first shot, to which he said "no—if she had, I intended the other for myself."

James Mills, gunsmith, of Westgate Without—The prisoner came to him between four and five the previous afternoon, and asked to look at a brace of pistols which were in the window, which he handed to him. He then said he did not want to purchase them. He wanted them to hire as the amateurs were about to perform, and he gave his name Fox, plane maker, working for Mr. Goulden. Asking him how he came to that end of the town, when Mr. Gudgen was so much nearer, he said he had a brace off him some time back to go to the masquerade, and he unfortunately lost one, and thought he overcharged him in the sum of 5s., which witness said was only reasonable; and not doubting his respectability agreed to let him have the brace till the morning for 2s. 6d., which he at once paid. He took the pistols, and asked how much powder it required to load them, which witness told him. He then bought one ounce of powder and from ten to twenty caps. He did not supply him with any bullets. He identified the caps produced as those which he had sold.

Superintendent Clements—Was called about a quarter past seven, and found the prisoner, Gurney, and Epps in the room; Gurney informed him that the prisoner had that morning shot a young woman named Hadley; asked him if she was dead, and he said he did not know; said it was a sad affair, to which the prisoner replied that he was glad in his heart that he had done it as she had deceived him; left him in charge of Epps with strict orders not to lose sight of him, and proceeded to Carter’s, at Vauxhall, with Gurney, where he saw Mary Ann Hadley dead. Elizabeth Scrivens, who attended her handed him the clothes produced, consisting of a black cape and a petticoat which bore a bullet hole, and the latter was saturated with blood. The hole in the cape was as if from the first shot as it was not in the direction of that in the petticoat, On his return to the stationhouse he informed the prisoner of the death of the young woman, to which he answered it could not be helped-he would meet his fate like a man. Witness then left him in charge of a policeman.

Elizabeth Ann Scrivens, a married woman of Northgate-Had seen the prisoner backwards and forwards on the Vauxhall Road to meet the deceased the last six months. Knew the deceased he saw ten minutes before seven that morning on the Vauxhall Road with Mr Gurney-they were walking together in conversation, passed her, and wished her good morning. When near the last barrack-gate, she saw the prisoner come from the side ally with something in each hand, and she heard two reports. He looked straight at her (witness) and attempted to escape up the alley. Deceased ran a few steps, and was caught in the act of falling by a man. Witness ran to Mr Carter's and obtained assistance, and deceased was brought in she did not speak that witness new of. She gasped but once after he was taken upstairs and Mr. T. Andrews was sent for. Witness took off the clothes-there was a hole in the right side of the petticoat, and a hole through her mackintosh; her left finger was much hurt, and there was an injury on the back of the hand. She believed the hole in the petticoat with been occasioned by a button being torn off. They were very close, but she did not hear any words between them.

Steven Baker, labourer-Saw the prisoner a little before six in the morning in the alley between the barracks, and that he came therefrom about a quarter before seven, holding two pistols before him, both of which he fired at the deceased, who was in the company of Mr Gurney. She ran towards witness, saying "Oh dear! young man, do hold me up." He asked her where she was wounded, and placed her hand on her thigh and said "hear;" the blood poured forth, and they took her to Mr. Carter's. After they laid he down they gave her a little water but she could not drink it. Half an hour afterwards she said in broken accents, with a sigh, "Mo-ther." He did not leave her till the surgeon had been.

Mr. T. Andrews, surgeon—Was called at seven o'clock in the morning and went to Mr. Carter’s, Vauxhall, and found in the washhouse there Mary Ann Hadley in a dying state from haemorrhage from a wound in the upper part of the right thigh, which wound, in his opinion, was caused by a bullet, that passed through the femoral artery. He remained with her till she died, which occurred in a few minutes. She was speechless and unconscious.


The prisoner having received the usual caution and asked whether he had anything to say, replied that he had. He said:—The reason I did it was because she deceived me. I had promised her marriage, to which she consented. I went to her house on Monday evening, and she was not at home; I left at nine, and went again on Tuesday at six o'clock, and she was again not at home. I asked her mother where she was. She said she did not know. I stayed till half-past nine; then went to the house again, and stayed till a quarter past ten, when she returned. We went into the front room, and I asked her the reason of this unpleasantness; she said it was my own fault. I said, "Be it so; then give me a decided answer—yes or no. Then I will leave you for ever." She said, "No, Stephen—I will meet you to-morrow night precisely at eight o’clock" (which was last evening). She did not do so. I went to her house at seven, and asked her mother whether she had come home; and she said yes, and had gone out again. I went to Mrs. Carter's, Vauxhall, and inquired for her there; but they did not know where she was. Therefore, I returned to Mr. Gurney’s house. Did not see her, as she would not see me, until this morning at seven o’clock, when she said, "Stephen, forgive me." I said, "No, I can’t." I kept company with her two years, and never had a mis-word till Monday evening.

He was then committed in the usual way to the city gaol till the Kent Assizes, and there to be tried for the wilful murder of Mary Ann Hadley. The announcement was received with an apparent delight, and he looked about the Court as if to obtain recognitions of acquaintances.

Soon afterwards he was placed in a fly between two policemen and two others outside, and driven with speed to the city gaol, followed by a great concourse of persons anxious to obtain a glimpse of his features.


The inquest was held at the "Cambridge Arms," and the jury having taken a view of the body, which lay at Carter’s, where deceased was at first conveyed after the lamentable affair, the following evidence was taken.

In addition to the foregoing, Gurney stated that he knew the prisoner had paid his addresses to the deceased the last two years, and that he had frequently seen them together. On the occasion of prisoner showing him the pistol he said it was loaded with bullet, at the same time taking from his coat pocket a small bag containing four bullets, saying if this won’t do for her the other four will. While at the "Cambridge Arms" he (witness) tried to dissuade him from his purpose, telling him what a shocking thing it would be if he took the young woman’s life, as he would be sure to be hanged for it. He replied that he did not care a _____ about being hung on a scaffold no more than shooting her. Witness went home but prisoner continued to walk about the locality for the space of ten minutes; and he got over a gate leading to the premises of deceased’s father, and afterwards continued to walk about until between 10 and 11, when two policemen came, after which prisoner went away. The deceased then, at about half-past eleven, went to his (witness’s) house, where she slept with his wife. When the prisoner rushed out upon them as he was accompanying deceased to her work in the morning, prisoner said to him, "If you come one step further I will blow your brains out." Deceased attempted to cross the road to the footpath—prisoner pursued her, and discharged both pistols at her. On going to the station house the prisoner said "I wish I had had more of these things (alluding to the pistols) or a revolver, as then you would not have got me, as I did not mean to be taken." When the bullets were taken from his pocket, he said "he hoped the others had gone through her." (This expression caused some sensation in the inquest room).

Harriet, the wife of Edward Hadley, bricklayer, stated that the deceased was her daughter, and aged 25 years. Stephen Fox had been paying his addresses to her for about 18 months, and she had frequently seen them together. He was at her house the previous morning about nine o’clock until a quarter past twelve, and then he left to go home to dinner. During the time he was there, he said he wanted to see Mary Ann, and then they would make it all right. Witness replied "No, Stephen—you are quite mistaken; for she does not intend to have any thing more to do with you, although I have had nothing to do with breaking it off. You know I never liked you, nor did any of my family, for we did not like your behaviour nor the character you have got.” Her daughter came home at six o'clock in the evening, and continued there till she left to go to Mr. Gurney’s. Stephen Fox came to her house again in the evening, between six and eight, and asked for Polly, meaning the deceased, who was at home, but she (witness) refused him, saying that her daughter did not wish to see him. He then went away, and witness afterwards went to the "Cambridge Arms" and there saw Stephen Fox in company with Edward Gurney. About nine o’clock she again saw Fox at her door, and again told him he could not see her daughter. Gurney told him it was no use his waiting, but he said he would, on which she told him if he would he must go to the upper end of the lane; and she then went and found a policeman on his beat and afterwards went home. To her surprise on knocking at the door Stephen Fox opened it, and let her in; and she said "What! is it you, Stephen?" and he said "Yes—it is." He then went away, and she fastened the door. At about half-past ten she went to the station house and saw Mr. Clements, the superintendent, and on her representing to him the conduct of Stephen Fox, the superintendent sent a police constable with her, and was accompanied by another policeman with whom they met in Northgate. After some more time had elapsed they found Stephen Fox between New Ruttington-lane and Union-street, when she said to him "You say you want two more words with Mary Ann—yes or no? If you will let these men search you, you may come up," to which he replied "I shall not come to your house to-night. I will come in the morning." She said "No—you shall not come in the morning—you shall not come to my house any more;" and he replied "Very well," and went away. One of the policemen then said to him what have you got there, and he replied "A cigar case," and pulled something out of his pocket and said what it was, but she forgot what he said. One of the policemen then said "We cannot take him, unless you give him in charge." To which she replied, "I do give him in charge." Fox then said, "What have I been doing?” and one of the policemen answered "You be off," and he left. The letter now produced she was satisfied her deceased daughter wrote to Stephen Fox on Tuesday last.

The following is a copy of the letter alluded to:—

Sir—Your conduct of late has been anything but what it should be when a young man considered himself engaged. You have all the way along strongly denied having any connexion with Miss B., but I am sorry to say that I have during the last week been fully convinced that your statement is not a correct one, and that you have to pay for its maintenance; and therefore I think, as such is the case, I had better at once break off the engagement. Yours, &c.,

Mary Ann Hadley.

Tuesday Evening, May 12, 1857.

P.S. You can have your clothes and the things that I have of yours on Saturday next.

To the policeman Epps, who had the prisoner in custody, he stated that for two years and five months, while they had kept company, they had never had a miss word, and that he could not assign any cause for her refusing to see him. He stated that he had been saving money to go into Gloucestershire with her, and get a comfortable house. The policeman added that his parents were respectable—had formerly been in the farming line, but were now somewhat reduced.

George Twell, a private in the 2nd Dragoon Guards—Was on sentry that morning near the forge in the Cavalry Barracks, and saw the man who was made prisoner (Stephen Fox) about a quarter past six, who looked in the barrack-gate. Witness said to him, "Good morning," but he made no reply. he went in the direction of the Sturry road.

About seven o'clock witness saw the witness Gurney and a young woman coming towards him, and proceeding in the direction of the Vauxhall, and when they had reached the last gate of the barracks he heard the prisoner exclaim, "Stand or you must die!" She replied, "Do not." But he immediately discharged two pistols at her. She ran about twenty yards, and he then lost sight of her.

In the other witnesses' evidence there was nothing material in addition to, or varying from that taken before the magistrates.

The coroner in summing up, observed that it was not necessary for him to recapitulate the evidence, because having been taken so recently, and from the great attention the jury had paid, he had no doubt it was fully impressed on their minds. It was almost unnecessary too for him to point out the nature of the law. To affix the charge of murder, he would just tell them that it was only necessary to prove on the part of the person who took away the life of another that he did so with premeditation, And perhaps there never was a case more strongly marked with premeditation than the one now before them. If they believed the testimony which they had heard, and of which there could not be the slightest doubt, he feared they could not come to other conclusion than that this man took away the life of the poor girl, and that therefore their verdict must be one of wilful murder. It was not necessary in law to point out at the coroner’s inquisition the description of the wound inflicted. All that was requisite was that they should have it shewn that it was by such wound a party died. The testimony in the present instance shewed beyond all doubt that Stephen Fox inflicted the pistol shot by which the poor girl met her death, and that he had been heard to express his determination to take her life—he was seen to do the act, and was immediately arrested by Edward Gurney, whose conduct throughout the transaction had been most creditable. He (the coroner) thought the jury must at once come to the conclusion that Stephen Fox had been guilty of a most deliberate murder.

The jury immediately returned a unanimous verdict of "Wilful murder against Stephen Fox," for whose committal to the assizes for trial the coroner forthwith made out his warrant.


On Sunday afternoon the last sad office was performed towards the remains of the unfortunate Mary Ann Hadley, who was murdered by her lover, as stated in another place. The interment was appointed to take place in St. Gregory’s cemetery, within which district her parents resided; and some hundreds of persons from all parts assembled to witness the mournful ceremony. The Rev. — Pearson and the Rev. E. Woodall officiated. The latter gentleman read that portion of the sublime service which is usually gone through in the church, which was crowded to overflowing, and greater numbers congregated in and about the cemetery. Deep sympathy was evinced for the fate of the unhappy girl and the bereaved relatives, and the service was listened to with decent attention. The Rev. E. Woodall, in some appropriate remarks which he addressed on the occasion, sought to soothe the hearts of the mourners, while holding out a special warning to the young under like circumstances.

In the evening the Rev. R. Rymer, minister of the Wesleyan chapel, also sought to improve the occasion by preaching an excellent discourse of warning and advice. It was to this chapel the deceased was in the habit of going, accompanied by her lover, and was there twice on the Sunday previous to her murder.


Since his committal he has manifested the utmost indifference when spoken to about his crime, and, indeed, treats it altogether with levity, as if entertaining an inward satisfaction at having done what he has. To the chaplain, as well as to the Wesleyan minister who has visited him, he does not express any regret for what he has done. All he has said has been to express a hope that the deceased is in heaven, where he hopes soon to join her. He declares he will meet his fate like a man. Such callousness we we hope yet to see give way to religious impressions. He has been visited by his father, who appeared more affected than himself.


In consequence of the general reprobation of the police in not arresting the murderer Fox on the night previous to his carrying his threats into execution, and when it is thought the same might have been prevented, the magistrates assembled to the number of nine yesterday afternoon to investigate the circumstance attending the melancholy affair—having Inspector Parker and Police constable Elvy before them as accused of neglecting their duty. The following evidence was taken:—

Edward Gurney—Heard the threats on Wednesday night. Saw Stephen Fox about a quarter past eight in the evening, when he showed witness a pistol with which he stated his intention to take the life of Mary Ann Hadley; on which, while he kept Fox in tow, his wife went to Mrs. Hadley to communicate the fact to her. About half-past nine he saw police constable Elvy on the beat, who inquired of him where the man was who was going to blow his brains out. To which he replied "There he goes," pointing to Fox who was passing; on which Elvy proceeded after him. Shortly after ten he saw Elvy and Inspector Parker come up with Mrs. Hadley and go down to her house in Cold Harbour-lane. While there Fox ran out a back lane and on intimation being conveyed to them, they pursued him. Parker advanced to him (witness) and asked if Fox had pistols, and he replied in the affirmative, and stated that he likewise had four bullets. The pistol shown him was capped—he did not know whether it was loaded further than what he stated. He had no chance of getting to the police in consequence of keeping Fox in tow. He had him in his house to take care of him, but it did not occur to him to take him into custody. It was his intention when he went to the "Cambridge Arms" to get Mr. Wall to take him in custody, but he was not indoors. He sent for the police in consequence of the threats.

By Inspector Parker—Saw him come up the street with Elvy and Mrs. Hadley—it was shortly after ten, he did not come and speak to him till he returned from the lane; Elvy ran after the prisoner, and you and Mrs. Hadley cameo across and asked him if Fox had pistols, did not say anything about the affair till he inquired.

By Elvy—I don't believe you said where was the man who was going to shoot himself and other people.

Harriet Hadley, the mother of the deceased, was then called. She appeared attired in deep mourning, and was somewhat affected by her position. She stated that in consequence of the information she received from Mrs. Gurney on the night in question she went to the station-house and saw Superintendent Clements and Inspector Parker, and told the Superintendent that she had come as she had heard that Fox had pistols and she considered her daughter’s life in danger, he said "if you give him in him charge you must appear in the morning to which she said that was a very unpleasant thing, but she considered her daughter’s life in danger," and he called Mr. Parker to go with her, and told her that they would meet with a policeman. She left with Parker, and in proceeding up Northgate met with the other policeman. She told Parker about the concern — of her daughter’s life being in danger, as Mr. Gurney had seen the pistols. She did not give any charge to Parker before they met the other policeman, and then she repeated the story. He crossed to Gurney, and afterwards all three of them went down the lane, when they were met by Mrs. Gurney, who bade them to search, as Fox had run down Northgate. When they caught Fox up, between Huttington-lane and Union-street, the policeman who had pursued him asked him what he had got there, and took hold of his coat. He replied, "a cigar case," and he pulled something out of his other pocket, and she said that he had pistols. He said he had not. She said—"You want one word with Mary Ann—yes or no; let these men search you, and let them come down, and you shall see her." He said, "I shall not come to your house to-night; but shall in the morning." She said then he should not come to her house any more; when one of the policemen said—she could not say which,—"You must give him in charge, or we can’t take him." She replied, "I give him in charge." Fox said, "What have I done;" and the policeman, she thought Parker, said, "You be off, and let me catch you up here any more to-night and we will take you." They then departed, and Fox left; and the policeman said, "He hasn’t any pistols, and I don’t think he has had any." She saw no more of them. The policeman did not put his hand into his pocket when Fox said it was a cigar case that he had get there.

By Capt. Love.—She did not tell Fox that if he called in the morning she would give him in charge.

By Parker.—They did not search Fox when by the side at the King's Head.

By Elvey.—Did not see Fox take a portmonaie out of one pocket, and his cigar case and handkerchief out of the other.

Superintendent Clements.—On Wednesday night about ten o'clock Mrs. Hadley came to the station-house, and stated that she had been informed that Stephen Fox had been making some threats against her daughter, to Mr. Gurney and showed some pistols, and he directed Parker to accompany her and take the man on the beat with him—see Mr. Gurney, and find the young man if he could—to search him and take his pistols away from him if he had any, and bring him to the station-house. He waited up till twelve and heard no more of the affair.

By Alderman Masters.—He got no answer from those whom he sent on this mission. It was usual to report to him.

Mr. Wootton.—There was no capture.

Mr. Mount.—There was no report to make.

Examination continued.—Next morning he saw Parker in Northgate and expressed his surprise that he had not brought that young man in Northgate, after what occurred; he said he had found and he searched him with Elvy—that he had no pistols on him; and Mrs. Hadley would not give him in charge.

Alderman Masters.—You had directed him to bring him to the station-house?—Yes.

Superintendent Clements repeated that he thought he knew better than that, as he did not require the charge after what he knew; he then left him.

By Mr. Wootton.—Did not always take a man to the station-house to search him.

Mr. Matthews.—It was usual for report to be made in a special ease— not hearing anything of it he concluded that it was one of the usual groundless charges that was made. It would have taken him about an hour to go round the beat.

By Parker—You told me if I found anything about the young man, to bring him to the station-house.

By Alderman Masters—The rules were not read over once a month—every man had a copy of them—he did not know that it was part of his duty to read them over.

Police-constable Epps—Was at the station-house at the time referred to when Mrs. Hadley came, and having stated the purpose of her coming stated that she wished to give Fox in charge for threatening the life of her daughter; to which the Superintendent answered if she did so, she must appear against him in the morning. She said that would be very unpleasant. The Superintendent stated that she must put up with that if she gave him in charge; and then she said she understood that Fox had shewn the pistols to Gurney, but she had not seen them herself; and the Superintendent said he would send Parker with her. Thc Superintendent said to Parker "You had better call on Mr. Gurney and then you will know better how to act; and if Mrs. Hadley gives him into custody search him and bring him to the station-house. He told Parker to see Elvey on the beat and take him with him.

By the Mayor—It was his impression that Parker was to bring Fox to the station if she gave him into custody.

Parker returned to the station just upon twelve, and said he had seen him and searched him, but found nothing on him.

Mr. Mount—There appears a great mistake among the police that they are not to take an individual into custody unless given in charge. They should take any person they knew about to commit a felony.

Parker in defence against the charge of neglect recapitulated the circumstance of Mrs. Hadley coming to the police station to represent what she had heard of her daughter's life being in danger through Fox; and on the directions given to him in accompanying her, it was to search him, and if he had anything about him he was to take him into custody. Gurney told him that Fox had shewn him one pistol, and told him that he had another; on which he traced out Fox and desired to know what he had about him and searched him; and all they found were a cigar case and a portmonnie—the former of which he drew partially out. He did not examine the contents of the purse. On this he said to Mrs. Hadley there was no firearms or anything about him. He then related the subsequent conversation, and that when Fox said he should come in the morning, she replied if he did, she should give him in charge.

Elvy said he heard no conversation between the Superintendent and Mrs. Hadley. She related to him that she had heard of Fox’s threats, and he informed her that if she had any complaint to make if she did so in the morning before the magistrates, they would have him up. When he searched Fox he found only the articles enumerated. He should have taken him into custody had his inspector bade him.

After an absence of half an hour, the bench returned, and announced their decision to suspend Parker for six months and Elvy for one month.

It appeared to be very clear by the Act which was before the bench, that either the Watch Committee or two justices had power either to fine to the extent of 40s. any constable convicted of negligence in the discharge of his duty, or imprison ten days, or suspend as distinct from the fine. The power of restoration likewise being vested in two justices. And it is further laid down as the duty of the constables to apprehend any persons whom they suspected of an intention to commit a felony, without waiting for their being given in charge.


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 17 August, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


Jane Sophia Cole, daughter of Mr. Cole, tailor, of Canterbury, was charged with attempting self-destruction, by drowning. She was accompanied in Court by her mother; they were accommodated with seats; and both appeared much effected by their painful situation.

James Deverson, labourer, living in Northgate-street, Canterbury, was the first witness. He said:— about six o'clock lost evening I was near Cold Harbour hole, when I saw the young person Cole in the water. I jumped in and succeeded in getting her out; the water there is about 8 or 9 feet in depth. Her arms and head were just above water. Her clothes kept her from sinking. She was quite insensible. I left her in charge of Mr. Crippen and another person. I have not seen her since until now.

Edward Gurney, lad 14 years of age said:— I was in my father’s garden, near Cold Harbour hole. I saw the young girl sitting on the opposite bank to where I was, writing on a piece of paper. I went into a lodge for about two minutes. When I came out I saw her in the water. I called for assistance. I saw the last witness (Deverson) jump in and get her out. I afterwards found a note and envelope on the bank, with a hat over them.

P.C. Holloway said:— From information I received I went to Barton Mills. I saw the young person; she was insensible. There were several persons round her. I had her removed to the “Cambridge Arms” public-house. When sensible she made the following statement, which was quite voluntary: “They say I have been in the water; I went up Palace-street, came back as far as St. Radigund-street, my head was bad, I remember no more.” She was left until this morning at the “Cambridge Arms,” when I again took charge of her.

The note found was in an envelope bearing the Canterbury Post mark, Aug. 15th, and addressed to herself, signed, “A well-wisher,” who, it appears, from what the letter contains, had kept company with her for 18 months, and wished to break off the engagement. It was written over in pencil apparently by the young girl, but in a very indistinct manner.

Mrs. Cole said that she had lately been very ill, and probably the letter she received had effected her so much that she was not in a fit state to be left alone.

The Magistrates took a lenient view of the case, and discharged her, upon her father promising to take especial care of her, and have her properly attended to.

The Magistrates expressed their approbation of the praiseworthy manner in which Deverson had rescued her from drowning, and presented him with half-a-crown from the poor box.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 7 May, 1864.


Kiehd. Clark, builder, recently a bankrupt, was charged with threatening to assault Charles Goodwin, hop merchant, one of his creditors, on the 31st March.

Mr. Gee appeared for the complainant, and Mr. Towne for the defendant.

It appeared that on the day in question the parties were at the “Cambridge Arms” public house, when high words, of a very uncomplimentary character, took place between them. It was alleged by the complainant that the defendant shook his fist in his face, and threatened to strike him.

Mr. Towne cross-examined the complainant, whose answers were given, when given at all, in so unsatisfactory a manner as to draw upon himself the censure of the bench.

A servant at the “Cambridge Arms” deposed that she saw defendant shake his fist in the complainant's face.

The magistrates dismissed the case.



WALL Georger 1858+ Melville's 1858

Uninhabited 1861

COOLEY Miss K 1862+ Post Office Directory 1862

HURST J 1867+


Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-