DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1791

Coach and Horses

Latest 1823-

(Name to)

Crane Street

Clarence Place

 

The road is now called Clarence Place and the pub is now called the "Cinque Ports Arms". The name changed between 1823 and 1830, although the reason for this change of name is so far unknown.

 

This pub building has a history shown on Dover Harbour Board maps going back to 1624 but the trade at that time is so far unknown.

 

Being situated near the docks, the pub was popular with fishermen, and in 1874 its opening time was 4 am! In 1876, this was brought forward to 3.30 am. Although by this time it was known as the "Cinque Port Arms."

 

LICENSEE LIST

JELL Henry 1791-92+ Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792

ATKINS 1805 (This name also appears at the "Black Pig" the same year.)

PARNELL Thomas 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823

 

Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792

Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.DeadPubs.co.uk